Where do I start?

Feb. 27, 2021, 10:27 p.m.

So, no dice on the commencal. In fact, I’ve had 16 bikes sold out from beneath me. Turns out it’s really hard to get a bike right now.

Anyway, while I look for a more suitable ride, a new buddy gave me a 2014 Rocky Mountain flatline. I’m gonna take it in for a tune up, set the LSC really low and try ripping around the trails.

I’ve been watching a shitload of videos on how to manual and corner, so I’ll be practicing in parking lots for an hour a day. I feel like getting a manual on this bike is gonna be tough.

I’ll take a couple pics to share, cause even though it’s a DH 26er, I’m still pretty stoked.

Last edited by: FatBear on Feb. 27, 2021, 10:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 28, 2021, 2:54 p.m.

Posted by: FatBear

So, no dice on the commencal. In fact, I’ve had 16 bikes sold out from beneath me. Turns out it’s really hard to get a bike right now.

Anyway, while I look for a more suitable ride, a new buddy gave me a 2014 Rocky Mountain flatline. I’m gonna take it in for a tune up, set the LSC really low and try ripping around the trails.

I’ve been watching a shitload of videos on how to manual and corner, so I’ll be practicing in parking lots for an hour a day. I feel like getting a manual on this bike is gonna be tough.

I’ll take a couple pics to share, cause even though it’s a DH 26er, I’m still pretty stoked.

Well any bike is better than no bike, especially if it's free. I hope you don't have to do much pedalling on it though! interesting that the used bike market is just as nutty over there.

March 5, 2021, 8:54 a.m.

Yes new bikes are in major backlog at the moment. Assuming someone else mentioned it but keep your eyes out on Pinkbike and ask the Endless folks when you go for your lessons (they are AWESOME btw and I wish I had taken lessons sooner).

I saw you were considering carbon...wouldn't bother.

I started mtb at 40 on a Trek Fuel EX8 for about $3K. Was a great bike and I rode the shit out of it for 5 years before I got my SC Hightower in late 2019. Regardless, just get on a decent bike. I would focus on figuring out your personal riding style before dropping a ton of coin. The lack of availability will help you to wait a bit too.

Have fun! The learning curve (including trail map reading) was steep for me but I also trail run so my cardio increased pretty fast with both.

Last edited by: meloroast on March 5, 2021, 8:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 6, 2021, 2:18 a.m.

Bike just came back from being serviced by my local shop. 

I moved into a new loft a week ago and I'm still getting used to the stairs, read: slipped down them and broke my toe. 

What luck, considering I have the car this weekend to go to the DH park in ZHongShan.

Last edited by: FatBear on March 6, 2021, 2:30 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 6, 2021, 2:35 a.m.

Posted by: meloroast

I was initially drawn to carbon because, coming from sailing, if it ain't carbon it's worthless

March 7, 2021, 8:35 a.m.

Posted by: meloroast

I was initially drawn to carbon because, coming from sailing, if it ain't carbon it's worthless

Definitely not the case for mtb.

March 10, 2021, 5:03 p.m.

I’ve been riding a bit, practicing skills, getting ready for the local trails. It’s going great! 

The CCDB on the back end has a 350 spring, which I am waaaay too fat for. So as a solution I bought a NOS fox van rc with a 450 spring that should come in the next few days. 

It feels really good to mess around on a bike, I’m having an absolute blast. 

Thanks again to everyone for the support, stories, advice, and comments. It went a long way to having me take the plunge, and I can’t wait to return home, buy a proper bike, and ride the trails!

March 10, 2021, 11:54 p.m.

Pretty cool to have a bike park with lifts nearby with that rig. I started back riding in 2014 at age 33 and put in a ton of Whistler Bike Park days my first few years. Lift parks are a great way to progress your skills because of the amount of vert you can descend in a day.

March 12, 2021, 2:01 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Pretty cool to have a bike park with lifts nearby with that rig. I started back riding in 2014 at age 33 and put in a ton of Whistler Bike Park days my first few years. Lift parks are a great way to progress your skills because of the amount of vert you can descend in a day.

Yea, the park is a few hours from my house, and a one year lift pass is about $350 CAD. I work a lot, but I should still be able to go 4-5 days per month. My wife is showing some interest too, so that might make it easier to get more days in.

Last edited by: FatBear on March 12, 2021, 2:54 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Bad at numbers
March 12, 2021, 1:24 p.m.

Hi everyone,

A bit of backstory from me. I don’t really have much experience mountain biking, I had a 2004 Norco Sasquatch back in 2004 and I did some trail riding in the Delta Watershed. I never could get the hang of bunny hopping, and was basically a skinny fat kid trying and failing to learn the ropes. One thing led to another and I sold the bike but never stopped dreaming of returning to riding trails. Queue now, I’m a lot older, tired of paying slip fees and maintenance on my sailboat and looking to move back into the hobby I’ve coveted for most of my life. 

Now my questions: what do I buy? I’ve been looking at all mountain bikes in the $7-10k range, I’m not scared to spend money on a dope ass bike that I can grow into, but I don’t really know what’s gonna be right for me. I hated the Sasquatch, it was really heavy and a pain in the ass to ride up any hills. Where do I go find beginner trails to build confidence on? Can I/ should I do clinics or lessons? How can I get involved in trail maintenance? 

I live in Richmond but I’m in China now for business, though I should be back home in time for this year’s riding season.

Honestly, I’d love any input that I can get, because this is an intimidating hobby/ lifestyle.

The Delta Watershed would be a great place to go back to when starting over.  It's almost all blue (moderate) trails that for the most part are green (easiest), unless you decide to hit the optional jumps, which are almost all (but not always) table tops.  There are exceptions of course, but you are much less likely to get in over your head in the Watershed than you are on the Shore.

Best of luck - and have fun!

March 12, 2021, 3:02 p.m.

Tip: If you take your wife there for her first time mountain biking start uphill behind the fire station.

March 14, 2021, 5:39 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

The Delta Watershed would be a great place to go back to when starting over. It's almost all blue (moderate) trails that for the most part are green (easiest), unless you decide to hit the optional jumps, which are almost all (but not always) table tops. There are exceptions of course, but you are much less likely to get in over your head in the Watershed than you are on the Shore.

Best of luck - and have fun!

I’ll definitely be visiting the ol’ watershed. My house is in Richmond, so it’s really close. I spent a lot of time ripping around there in my youth.

Posted by: Hepcat

Tip: If you take your wife there for her first time mountain biking start uphill behind the fire station.

I think that her first taste is gonna be on the XC course at Daray Mountain Bike Park, near where I live in China right now.

Here’s a map of the park, haha, it’s not very impressive compared to the stuff back home.

https://bikepark.mega-sports.net

If you have an iPhone/ Mac safari does a good job of translating the website to English.

Last edited by: FatBear on March 14, 2021, 5:49 p.m., edited 2 times in total.