where are these trails?

March 13, 2021, 7:55 a.m.

Pet peeve --- posting videos without listing the trails in the credits. WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwaUcx7h73k

0:53, where is this?

1:12, the near and background trail, where are they?

March 13, 2021, 9:03 a.m.

How can you not know @ 0:53? Re trails in the credits, so many trails that get used aren't listed or mapped trails so it makes sense not to name them - it's part of the Shore "code"

This is actually one of my fav edits in a long time, I think it really captures the essence of Shore riding and the music is a perfect fit as well.

Last edited by: syncro on March 13, 2021, 9:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 13, 2021, 9:23 a.m.

at 53 sec. is the Millennium Log on CBC trail, Seymour. This is a sanctioned trail we can freely talk about. The other one is, who gives a fuck? Its appears to be unsanctioned and should be chopped the fuck down. It makes the legitimate builders look bad and it's probably in an area it shouldn't be. BTW, someone might find a bunch of stuff on Seymour if they start scouting where there are no mapped trails.

March 13, 2021, 11:08 a.m.

Thanks @Evil_Bumpkin. I recognize CBC now that I watch again and know what to look for. The river below the log isn't visible.

Its surprising to me that mtb companies would release film shot on unsactioned trails, that's not something that happens in rock climbing -- not without an uproar, anyhow, remember Dean Potter climbing the Arches. Maybe its just harder to notice? As evidenced by me not even recognizing a trail I'd been riding over the fall, and hiking over the winter...

March 13, 2021, 11:20 a.m.

Posted by: samroberts

Its surprising to me that mtb companies would release film shot on unsactioned trails, that's not something that happens in rock climbing -- not without an uproar, anyhow, remember Dean Potter climbing the Arches.

It's been happening for so long and has been the foundation for pretty much any big mtb vid that I think it's just become normalized. I tend to agree with you tho that using hidden lines for ad material doesn't send a very good message. Rogue trails seem to be a big part of the image of mtb'ing.

edit: I'd ad that unsanctioned trails are what the sport was founded on  - at least around here anyways. There's no way mtb'ing would have gotten to the point where it is without unsanctioned trails which is why I think so many people aren't bothered by it.

Last edited by: syncro on March 13, 2021, 11:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 13, 2021, 4:03 p.m.

Yeah, I'd like to see a way for there to be more planned trail development, but if the answer is always "no", I can see why people just stop asking. And then get accused of working outside the process, which is pretty opaque.

March 13, 2021, 6:24 p.m.

I'm not really a fan of crediting every trail. A general location would be fine, but listing the actual trail takes some of the sense of discovery away and can add to the "tick-list" type. Maybe it's from seeing over-growth and high density from Instagram posts.

Since we already have a rock climbing analogy, it's the same sentiment of leaving some areas with general ratings instead of specifics (John "The Vermin" Sherman - Stone Crusade).

Last edited by: mudrunner on March 14, 2021, 4:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarifying which John Sherman
March 14, 2021, 3:21 p.m.

Awesome cinematography but weird trail choice IMHO. Surely a bike like that should be filmed smashing Incline at high speed, not riding generic loamers? ;)

March 16, 2021, 1:13 p.m.

Posted by: samroberts

Yeah, I'd like to see a way for there to be more planned trail development, but if the answer is always "no", I can see why people just stop asking. And then get accused of working outside the process, which is pretty opaque.

District of North Van is in the process of creating (or revising? Can't remember) a Seymour trails plan. There was a lot of feedback from MTBers that more building needs to occur as the existing sanctioned network is getting really busy, lack of new development etc. which causes more rogue building... and anecdotally the unsanctioned stuff is getting waaaay more use over the past year or two just seeing the number of trucks/people riding up.

Agree that status quo of trail development on the shore is painfully slow as the land managers/owners do not want it to happen. Comparing to how much gets built in say Squamish each year.

Last edited by: grambo on March 16, 2021, 1:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2021, 10:58 a.m.

If you want to find unmapped trails you need to start walking around or cross your fingers that someone you meet on a ride will show you around. You're not going to find anyone directing you on line as that DOOMS THE SPOT.

You think that filming the Shore on unsanctioned trails is bad? How about how Rocky promotes its ebikes: charge up the bikes and head directly to the most sensitive trails on the northshore to show that if you have an ebike, that you can lap the most fragile of trails over and over and over again because the climb to get there is wiped out.

God forbid that Rocky promote their ebikes as a way to shuttle without a car. Nope, they promote them as a way to get to areas that are sustainable only because they're challenging to get to. Rocky is not good at math it seems.

March 19, 2021, 7:37 p.m.

Just keep checking on Pinkbike for the latest 'influencer' video. Twice so far this week we've pretty well seen directions to 'sick loamers' thanks to showing really obvious landmarks such as roads and water towers..... You'd think that in 2021 they'd finally smarten up?

March 20, 2021, 12:50 p.m.

I’m amazed that this sport is in a place where people now feel entitled to have the trails credited every time they show up. 

We used to keep trail names and locations quiet. 

Bizarre.

March 20, 2021, 1:12 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I’m amazed that this sport is in a place where people now feel entitled to have the trails credited every time they show up.

We used to keep trail names and locations quiet.

Bizarre.

It gets even better; you have pro's and bro-brah's posting vids of unsanctioned trails in illegal areas that clearly shows where the exit is so anybody with an internet connection can go find it. Oh and on top of that you can clearly see them riding past a sign in the beginning which no doubt says trail closed or no riding.

Last edited by: syncro on March 20, 2021, 1:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 20, 2021, 5:43 p.m.

IMO, it's one thing to have an average rider posting videos of unknown trails, but it's another to have bike shops or bike manufacturers posting them.

March 20, 2021, 6:19 p.m.

The local industry seems to operate inside a 'bro-bubble'. They do what people from Vancouver and the S2S think is 'cool', i.e. ripping up loamers and riding whatever new unsanctioned trail is the flavour of the day (and will be forgotten about tomorrow). When's the last time all these bro-pros filmed on Upper Oil Can, Grannies etc? They'd make great backdrops for selling pumps or whatever. It's really ironic that we have all this legendary terrain here, yet it's 'cool' to film trails that look like they could be outside Birmingham in the UK. Sick braaaah ;)

Credit to RaceFace and Wade Simmons for using sanctioned trail for their latest series.

Last edited by: trumpstinyhands on March 20, 2021, 6:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.