When did Park Gate turn into a bro fest?

May 6, 2021, 11:19 a.m.

Posted by: craw

And here I am surprised people are still shuttling Seymour like it's 2004. Hang on let me dust off my Dainese.

My Dainese is unusable ... salty sweat corroded the zipper so badly it's stuck solid!

May 6, 2021, 11:21 a.m.

And here I am surprised people are still shuttling Seymour like it's 2004. Hang on let me dust off my Dainese.

Wanna buy a V-Tach frame to go with that?  You gotta source your own Monster-T

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on May 6, 2021, 11:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 6, 2021, 11:33 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

I have a Monster-T waiting to go on my retro hardtail with a 24" rear. Should be interesting.

May 6, 2021, 1:26 p.m.

Cypress so quiet and trails are mint thanks to all the trail fairies.

May 6, 2021, 5:06 p.m.

This bro fest brought up a great discussion in my crew about gender inclusivity in MTB.

The one woman in my regular ride group had this to say:

" I can’t see a lot of  women/girls seeing it and being like “man- I should try mountain biking!”...

To be clear- I don’t think they were doing anything wrong. I’m a part of those parking lot bro-outs and it’s great. But it would be so intimidating to women that are just starting, or who aren’t surrounded by dudes are the time."

May 6, 2021, 5:30 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I have a Monster-T waiting to go on my retro hardtail with a 24" rear. Should be interesting.

sick (you masochist). what frame?

May 6, 2021, 6:54 p.m.

I have a 380 in my garage collecting dust, I should buy an old shitty hard tail from the 2000's and put it on for old times sake.

May 6, 2021, 8:17 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Gonna drop Digger's Rock with that machine?

May 7, 2021, 8:17 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

This bro fest brought up a great discussion in my crew about gender inclusivity in MTB.

" I can’t see a lot of  women/girls seeing it and being like “man- I should try mountain biking!”...

To be clear- I don’t think they were doing anything wrong. I’m a part of those parking lot bro-outs and it’s great. But it would be so intimidating to women that are just starting, or who aren’t surrounded by dudes are the time."

But hit Squamish or Burke on a normal non-lockdown Saturday and it's like 50% women so maybe that spot full of dudes and pickup trucks shuttling Seymour isn't necessarily representative of the activity as a whole?

May 7, 2021, 10:06 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

sick (you masochist). what frame?

Nothing special, a Norco Torrent from like  2006??? I've held on to it though as some of my best/fav riding was done on that bike. I still have the old school Hope brakes that I might revive as well. With the Monster and the 24" rear wheel the head angle will be in modern territory at least. When I rode it I had a Sherman Flick on the front with the travel adjust so climbing it wasn't actually too horrible. The Monster will definitely change that.

May 7, 2021, 10:08 a.m.

" I can’t see a lot of women/girls seeing it and being like “man- I should try mountain biking!”...

But hit Squamish or Burke on a normal non-lockdown Saturday and it's like 50% women so maybe that spot full of dudes and pickup trucks shuttling Seymour isn't necessarily representative of the activity as a whole?

Agree with this. Took a newbie for his first ride this week from the parking lot on Fromme (so busy WTF!?) and he was very excited at how many women there were. The parking lots seem to be gender specific? ;)

Last edited by: TheWasp on May 7, 2021, 10:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 7, 2021, 12:23 p.m.

Or maybe the ladies just know where the good trails are ;)

Give me Burke or Squamish over North Shore any day.

May 7, 2021, 12:49 p.m.

Squamish is very underrated....  so many awesome trails and way less people than the NS.  Same with Burke.

May 7, 2021, 1:06 p.m.

I mean if a woman is looking for a bro with Peter Pan Syndrome, then yes; getting into Mtn biking is a good idea.

May 7, 2021, 2:02 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Or maybe the ladies just know where the good trails are ;)

Give me Burke or Squamish over North Shore any day.

Or maybe they just have better judgement, on aggregate, than the Shuttle-Bros who are packing themselves 6-deep into pickups with non-household members. I pedal from Park Gate, and there are certainly females around from time to time, but I'd say it's around 80% shuttlers who park/hang there.