When did Park Gate turn into a bro fest?

May 4, 2021, 10:12 p.m.

I don't shuttle much, and don't spend a lot of time at parkgate shopping mall, so tonight was a real eye opener.  Seemed like the first half dozen or so parking lanes were full of groups of Bros (I think I saw 1 woman there) chillin, drinking beer, and eating a&w.  I am used to seeing dudes hanging out by the dumpsters, but this was like a giant tailgate party. I am not complaining, just found it pretty interesting and not something I have seen before. Strange times these.

Old and slow

May 5, 2021, 9:20 a.m.

It's probably a bit of a covid side effect with people not allowed to hang out inside. I noticed it the other day by the A&W as I was driving by.

Last edited by: syncro on May 5, 2021, 9:20 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2021, 9:55 a.m.

Pre-covid plenty of people would go to the pub post ride for beer n burger...now you tailgate.

May 5, 2021, 10 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

Pre-covid plenty of people would go to the pub post ride for beer n burger...now you tailgate.

You should host a backyard beer and burger fest at your place - extra incomes!

May 5, 2021, 10:07 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Shuttle bro's don't even know where Fromme is.

May 5, 2021, 10:56 a.m.

Shuttle bros are your next captive audience for North Shore Super Enduro World  Series (tm) events.

May 5, 2021, 11:30 a.m.

Anyone else see the dude playing his trombone(?) in front of a van with music blaring out the back doors the other day?

Weird scene.

May 5, 2021, 12:03 p.m.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago... dancing up a storm while he played.

I trail run most Sunday mornings, and end at the Bean for a coffee and snack. On a sunny day, the people watching is pretty entertaining, almost like a high school cafeteria.

Last edited by: PaulB on May 5, 2021, 12:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2021, 1:05 p.m.

Are we talking in euphemisms now? Like, was this a pink trombone?

May 5, 2021, 2:57 p.m.

"Don't you ever go to Cypress?"
"Is that where the old guys with the Knollys go?"

May 5, 2021, 3:58 p.m.

Better yet, while splitting cedar on Pangor, four 15 y.o.’s push up the Pangor climb and hear me - “hey!!  Is that Trailmole?!”  Lol

Its a new world out there.

May 5, 2021, 9:40 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Anyone else see the dude playing his trombone(?) in front of a van with music blaring out the back doors the other day?

Weird scene.

I've seen him in Park n Tilford a few times. One time cops were writing him up but seen him a few more times since. Does he hang out in Parkgate also?

There's an Instagram account about beers at the dumpsters. Like a Kook of the Day but for biking kinda thing

May 6, 2021, 7:43 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Weird scene.

Wow, that guy is hilarious. He always gives me a wave and thumbs-up because I drive a Ford Escape Hybrid like him.

The first day I saw him, I was rolling back to the car with my headphones on (long stretch riding back on the road). I threw him a shaka, because he was obviously an ambitious musician, with his guitar/mic/amp/trombone/sax/sample machine etc... All set up to create some kind of unique one-man-band. Usually I'm very supportive of that kind of thing. I took the headphones off as I was about to jump in the car and was almost knocked on my ass by a tidal wave of awful noise. I was shocked how he somehow managed to sound that bad. He's there almost every afternoon I show up at Park Gate.

And yeah, it's always been a bro-fest by the dumpsters, but that's spread out quite a bit this year. It's almost half mtb vehicles in that lot on the busier days.

Last edited by: mammal on May 6, 2021, 7:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 6, 2021, 8:10 a.m.

You see these little scenes all over these days now that you can’t eat indoors.  around here every crappy coffee shop has their crew of regulars hangin in the parking lot, often with their own chairs and sun umbrellas. 

As an business owner, it’s nice to see folks being so supportive. Many of us local service industry folks are surviving on their regulars only these days.

May 6, 2021, 10:55 a.m.

And here I am surprised people are still shuttling Seymour like it's 2004. Hang on let me dust off my Dainese.

Last edited by: craw on May 6, 2021, 11:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.