When did cross-country become a dirty word?

Feb. 11, 2007, 7:26 p.m.

the problem with mountain biking, is zapata espinoza

other than that it's all good

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

Feb. 11, 2007, 8:55 p.m.

okay, I don't mean to be utterly clueless, but wtf?

Espinoza has been a non-issue since he left Mountain Bike Magazine (which is now pretty much a non-issue) and some would argue he was a non-issue before that when he was with Mountain Bike Action. Now as a product manager with Trek I am simply not connecting the dots with respect to this thread. Does this have something to do with Trek's recent move (in the last couple o' years to all-mountian, dh, etc with their bikes……if so I would doubt it has much to do with the beaner in question.

i'm gonna lie down; this thread is giving me indigestion….

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Feb. 11, 2007, 8:58 p.m.

I respect XC riders more than any other kind period. I cannot believ ethe types of things they do, like ride UP hills. I suppose sometimes i think of them like haha, there all in it for the workout, but in reality, its because im jelous.

Feb. 12, 2007, 2:29 p.m.

and you of the guests, (husband of my wife's friend) started going off about lazy mountain bikers. -him being a rodie-

he was spouting off how the bc bike race (aka 7) was only 80km a day and therefore a cakewalk.

i asked him if he had ever mountain biked. no was his reply.

i let it go. but can you imagine?

Feb. 12, 2007, 2:40 p.m.

I blame it on those damn ear plugs, sooo ugly.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 12, 2007, 4:13 p.m.

.. is riding up and down with no dabs.

I am an XCer because I like the challenge of both uphill and downhill.

I've had riders compliment me riding Steeps on my 4" XC race rig. Funny though, cause I feel like I am cheating considering I started riding bikes on a fully rigid. So the 4" seem like it should be plenty of cush. Plus it still allows me to do the technical climbs.

My Goal is to become a better rider. Period.

Some of the best riders I know call themselves XCers. They can kick my ass up hill while riding a 40lb + Fully; and going down, can make moves you would think impossible on an XC bike.

Racing to me is defined with a clock. XC riding doesn't need a timer.

_Sheldon Brown's Definition of Cross Country sheldonbrown.com

• Normal, pedal-powered off-road mountain-bike riding, as opposed to down hill racing.

_

:canada:

Feb. 12, 2007, 4:36 p.m.

when kids started watching too much TV and have no patience for XC.

Feb. 12, 2007, 5:07 p.m.

and you of the guests, (husband of my wife's friend) started going off about lazy mountain bikers. -him being a rodie-

he was spouting off how the bc bike race (aka 7) was only 80km a day and therefore a cakewalk.

It would be a cake walk if it was on paved roads only. Not varying surface conditions and so on.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 12, 2007, 5:40 p.m.

Racing to me is defined with a clock. XC riding doesn't need a timer.

Word.

I ride x/town, x/2nd narrows bridge, x/north shore, up old buck, down neds, x/bridle path, down to and x2nd narrows bridge, then back x/town to a cold beer.

I might time myself once and a while but that ain't racing.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 12, 2007, 5:47 p.m.

..Racing to me is defined with a clock.

Two people riding the same direction (uphill/downhill/flat road) are racing.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 12, 2007, 5:48 p.m.

Word.

I ride x/town, x/2nd narrows bridge, x/north shore, up old buck, down neds, x/bridle path, down to and x2nd narrows bridge, then back x/town to a cold beer.

I might time myself once and a while but that ain't racing.

Now that's a good ride. :rocker:

Primary rig: Devinci Ollie
AM rig: Norco Fluid LT2
Brodie Miscreant
'08 Buell XB12Ss Lightning

Thanks for letting me know what poo feels like.

Feb. 12, 2007, 7:24 p.m.

Two people riding the same direction (uphill/downhill/flat road) are racing.

A race can happen any time any where. All it takes is a look and it's on.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 12, 2007, 7:54 p.m.

don't let it boil your potatoes…road bikers make fun of themselves enough already.

- bike sexual

Feb. 12, 2007, 8:49 p.m.

80km's in a day sounds like the NRG triple crown! good stuff! I guess it "classifies" as a race because it's a timed event, but it's only so you get through the check points in time to not get left in a heap on the side of a trail somewhere well after dark.

Feb. 12, 2007, 9:49 p.m.

yarrgghh - did I just read all 70+ posts…=/

:deadhorse: So - XC getting a bad name?? Maybe with some riders - young kids who have never bonked and think shuttling is the only way to the top. And why not? Shuttling is fun! If you have never done a crazy long epic ride on a lighter bike - had to get water from a creek, run out of food and only made it back home out of sheer determination - after dark - with no lights - because you got lost, you just might not get what all those guys in tight shorts are doing cruising around a dirt trail up and down hills as fast as they can for 6 hours straight. You have never had that post-bonk-epic ride beer :beer: - probably one of the tastiest beers you have ever had (maybe you have never had beer :beer: - no way you could understand…).

On the other hand, those of us who have survived such an epic ride - raced a good XC race (Bear in Mission - that one in Rossland by the golf-course) probably have a better appreciation for how truely difficult a hard XC ride can be.

So - does XC have a bad name - nahhh - XC racing in the States is suffering (specifically Norba - short track is LAME), but I am pretty sure its doing OK up here.

Personnally - I own one bike - a 2003 - Norco Fluid 1.0 - it gets used for XC and DH racing (a la the "Old School Challenge" at last years Bear Mountain races), FR (wussy FR, but I still rail berms and do some step-downs), and XC - I lived in Dublin :ireland: for a year and regularly did 5+ hour rides in the mountains south of the city with a bunch of guys on hard-tails, Specialized Epics etc. who were from France, UK, Ireland and other places. They all accused me of riding a FR bike! Its all Mountain Biking and its all fun!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca