what's it going to take...

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:32 a.m.

I did this a few years ago on a trail day at the CBC lot I had most people brush me off like i was selling amway. one guy told me to fuck off, which was extra classy as I was with my two year old.

I hung out at the top of CBC at a trail day once and got about 20 people fixing the top section that hadn't planned on it.

Something about a girl asking a guy if he could just go and bring one or two rocks over to the trail!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:35 a.m.

I did this a few years ago on a trail day at the CBC lot I had most people brush me off like i was selling amway. one guy told me to fuck off, which was extra classy as I was with my two year old.

Personaly speaking though, Id rather spend my money on my own tools or my freinds tools than donate to NSMBA.

Is the NSMBA short cash anyway? I gather they are short volunteers not money.

"Fuck off." Classy is right…

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:38 a.m.

Is the NSMBA short cash anyway? I gather they are short volunteers not money.

They are short on volunteers to raise money. I would guess that if they want to keep trail maintenance activities at present levels (which again, is pretty good), they'd be fine

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:46 a.m.

trail closures are a great idea, but how will it be enforced? a guard standing at the top with a shotgun? bottom line, people will poach.

we've had a trail closure on burnaby mountain for almost 2yrs now and it's constantly being ridden.

i think the nsmba needs to get a better representation in shops - market the product through jerseys, shirts, etc. have a pamphlet drawn up that sets out what the organization does, with a form on the back for donations, to be handed out at bike shops.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:50 a.m.

trail closures are a great idea, but how will it be enforced? a guard standing at the top with a shotgun? bottom line, people will poach.

we've had a trail closure on burnaby mountain for almost 2yrs now and it's constantly being ridden.

i think the nsmba needs to get a better representation in shops - market the product through jerseys, shirts, etc. have a pamphlet drawn up that sets out what the organization does, with a form on the back for donations, to be handed out at bike shops.

Yah, I agree. I bought an 'I ride here' shirt from nsbs, and I understand some of it goes back the association. Shops could try to guilt ppl into joining and donating. Maybe the commercial bike tour ops could help out and guilt their customers as well. Everyone knows the etiquette with regard to 'ride don't slide' etc., just expand it to include donations to the local trail association.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:54 a.m.

Out of curiosity, how many people here saw the trailday posters advertising the traildays last year and this?

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:54 a.m.

You don't think the sign board and posters in all the North Shore shops is enough? While I haven't seen any membership forms there lately, shops have not traditionally been where new members come from.

We had a meeting in 2005 with all the shop owners to figure out how we can raise the profile of the NSMBA and get more members through the shops.

It will require someone to go to all the shops to follow up with this initiative. This was where Tammy - our paid administrator - was REALLY helpful.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:55 a.m.

Out of curiosity, how many people here saw the trailday posters advertising the traildays last year and this?

I saw them on Seymour. None on Fromme.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:56 a.m.

The problem with closing trails, is that it puts a greater strain on the surrounding trails.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:58 a.m.

I saw them on Seymour. None on Fromme.

The last few trail days, the new people (not the regulars, which is the majority), were asked where they heard about the TD. A fair few from NSMB, a lot of word of mouth, and next to none from bike shops and the posters. That's why I asked.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:58 a.m.

I'm new to all this and I'm already getting disilutioned…way to go everyone. How about coming up with some positive solutions. Closing down trails may get people's attention but it may also cause people to think that the NSMBA has no control and, as such, won't want to donate or volunteer (why give to a lost cause). I see a lot of potential for improving things and am looking forward to the challenge. Maybe it's naivety or inexperience, but what the hell…I'm excited about it.

Nov. 25, 2008, 10:59 a.m.

The last few trail days, the new people (not the regulars, which is the majority), were asked where they heard about the TD. A fair few from NSMB, a lot of word of mouth, and next to none from bike shops and the posters. That's why I asked.

In previous years when this question was asked most learned about the trail days from trail head posters. Which is why its best to have them up the weekend BEFORE the weekend of the trail day.

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:03 a.m.

closing trails is pretty easy pile enough dead shit on the trail to make it unridable. take a couple guys a day to do it, sad that there are to many knobs out there that you cant just post up a sign.

I would say the NSMBA needs paper pushers not more trail days but im not involved so what do I know.

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:07 a.m.

Ironically the real dirty work happens away from the trails.

Nov. 25, 2008, 11:08 a.m.

Nechako, more trail days is very unlikely. when you've got the same 5 (or less) people running every single trail day they do like to have some weekends off, you know? maybe if more people stepped up to run the trail days this could be considered …

What Sharon suggested is what I had in mind.

One option would be for all the trail builders to get together, figure out some labour intensive project on their trail set aside a date, post it and see who comes out.

This wouldn't be a big day, people bring their own tools, food water come out and give a builder a hand.

I know builders are protective over their trails but if there was an area they could post a help needed notice I bet people would join in.

Richard

>>---------> (x)
My flickr