What Small Dog for a Riding Companion?

June 13, 2011, 12:41 p.m.

We've just signed the agreement to move in to a new place where we can have a dog. We live in east van, and spend our lives on bikes both in the city and the mountains. Our last dog was a Great Dane and he was awesome, but not ideal for our lifestyle. (Unfortunately we had to put him down at 8 years due to health issues earlier this year.)

It's not a matter of space, but portability, that has us looking to smaller breeds. Jodi will be taking the dog to work on the front rack of her bike, and we would also like to train it to ride in our bags when necessary. That said, the other criteria is that it can keep up on a reasonably long trail ride—say a full lap of Fromme or longer—once it's old enough to come along.

We're kind of leaning toward terrier breeds and mixes, 20ish pounds, hearty enough to go riding in all weather conditions (wearing a jacket in winter is OK). Suggestions?

flickr

June 13, 2011, 12:50 p.m.

How big is your bag? Is it a designer purse from Robson or more of a hippy purse from Commercial Drive? JK. Jack Russels are pretty hyper and need a lot of attention but I think might fit the bill.

June 13, 2011, 12:56 p.m.

I have a giant courier bag (60 pounds of cheese one time!) not a yaletown purse. Our racks will easily accommodate a milk crate or other dog-holding device:

flickr

June 13, 2011, 1:08 p.m.

Probably a little bit larger than what you are looking for, but I'd suggest a Blue Heeler (or Red)

They can run all day (even in the heat) and they are very smart (cunning even) and loyal.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

June 13, 2011, 1:14 p.m.

Good suggestion, probably a bit big, but Jodi's got something against heelers so they're out.

flickr

June 13, 2011, 2:03 p.m.

Probably a little bit larger than what you are looking for, but I'd suggest a Blue Heeler (or Red)

They can run all day (even in the heat) and they are very smart (cunning even) and loyal.

I am sure patrol skid will have better advice.

I have a blue heeler/boarder collie cross and have made the mistake of running him too often and too far. I would never advise running a dog in the heat without ensuring that they get to cool off (in any river or pond).

My dog has arthritis in his rear legs from too many long distance rides. Do not be a bone-head like me and assume a dog can go for huge long distance rides.

That is not to say that dogs can not come for a ride. Better to take them when traveling slowly, and stopping frequently (or when riding with slow, fat friends).

It is a mountain biking fantasy that dogs and mtb riding go hand in hand. I know of so many dogs that have arthritis and joint injuries from pounding down trails.

The good news…

Trail-building and dogs definitely goes hand-in-paw.
Blue heelers and border collie's are incredible dogs.

June 13, 2011, 2:09 p.m.

Jack Russels are pretty hyper and need a lot of attention but I think might fit the bill.

Do Jack Russells have a tendency to bolt after shit and disappear like Beagles?

flickr

June 13, 2011, 2:15 p.m.

I am sure patrol skid will have better advice.

I have a blue heeler/boarder collie cross and have made the mistake of running him too often and too far. I would never advise running a dog in the heat without ensuring that they get to cool off (in any river or pond).

My dog has arthritis in his rear legs from too many long distance rides. Do not be a bone-head like me and assume a dog can go for huge long distance rides.

That is not to say that dogs can not come for a ride. Better to take them when traveling slowly, and stopping frequently (or when riding with slow, fat friends).

It is a mountain biking fantasy that dogs and mtb riding go hand in hand. I know of so many dogs that have arthritis and joint injuries from pounding down trails.

The good news…

Trail-building and dogs definitely goes hand-in-paw.
Blue heelers and border collie's are incredible dogs.

Golden retrievers aren't good trail dogs for long rides, but they are super fun if you like to get mud absolutely everywhere.
My guy absolutely loves going building.

June 13, 2011, 2:16 p.m.

Nova Scotia Duck Toller too big? Awesome mutts.

June 13, 2011, 2:23 p.m.

i have boston terrier french bulldog mix.
he is great at trails. a little slow on the paved stuff. have to keep it slow on the paved downhill stuff but you get used to it. on the trail though he is often running ahead of me…

definitely need to give him the option to drink, swim and cool down in summer but most of the time he is fine. He is also super mellow when in the house, but when he gets out side he runs forever. lots of character, lots of farts, lots of snorting and wheezing.

this is him at the halfway point of comfortably numb

June 13, 2011, 2:26 p.m.

At one point in my life I worked on a cattle station back home, we would drove cattle for a good part of the day. Stopping only a few times to re-hydrate etc. My dog was only young at the time but some of the other dogs were 10+ years and still going strong.

They would run around like crazy most of the day keeping the cattle in-line. I guess the one difference that I never considered till now, is the intensity, if your bombing down a DH trail the dog is probably running flat-out to catch you, whereas in the instance I was thinking of, they are running all day but at a more moderate pace :)

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

June 13, 2011, 2:27 p.m.

i would have said a blue heeler, border collie is also a good choice. jack russel terriers are too annoying ime

but c'mon mang, do the right/east van thing: head down to the spca and see who picks you :)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 13, 2011, 3:16 p.m.

+1 for Jack Russel.

I have a Jack Russel Schnauzer mix (named Sprocket). He's got tons of trail energy!

He does like to chase things(aka high prey drive) but he's mostly controllable via voice commands.

My only caution to you is if you don't exercise a JRus enough they will make you pay.

good luck!

June 13, 2011, 3:47 p.m.

My brother in law and sister have had a few JRT over the years, high energy and they do need to be told who is boss on a regular basis but still a great ridding partner.

When Hemlock was still open for bikes in the summer they would let us bring him up on the lift with us then he would run down the trails behind us. Usually only lasted two or three laps but he had no problems keeping up pretty close.

If I was looking for a small dog that I could still ride with it would be a JRT for sure!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 13, 2011, 3:49 p.m.

Australian cattle dog could be a good option. Smaller and can run around a good bit.

One thing to watch with the sub-20lb category is that if you are taking them on more aggressive rides (Fromme etc) and accidentally clip them you are going to do a number on them. We live in East Van and have a smaller dog (weiner, about 15lbs), super handy but I never take her riding (although I have had her out running) and she keeps up pretty good.