Welp ... cracked my hardtail ... what to do next?

March 2, 2003, 5:55 p.m.

Okay, so after over two years of abuse, my 420's finally showing a crack! I can't say anything bad about the frame - that's a pretty good life for an aluminum hardtail that's been through as many drops, hard landings and crashes as I've put it through …

But, I'm torn. I'd love to just replace the frame, but I'll be waiting a month or two for the new stock to arrive. I could reach deep into the wallet and (horrors!) buy a nice duallie freeride setup. That seems like giving in … what to do?

What would YOU do?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 2, 2003, 5:58 p.m.

Get a dually……I have a H/T right now and am looking to buy a nice dually too…..

March 2, 2003, 6:06 p.m.

get a nice steel frame ken, it may weigh a bit more, but wont crack over time like that one, or maybe an aluminum with easton tubing will have better wear. (By the way, im partial to hardtails hehe:D )

March 2, 2003, 6:09 p.m.

wait and be happy

ride on:banana:
team myself
[email protected]

March 2, 2003, 6:10 p.m.

BUY MY SLAYER!!!

Or Lee's Ti frame!

I hear Kishi has a Rampage (steel) that he was going to give to Lee.

Get a .243!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

March 2, 2003, 6:13 p.m.

Send that frame back on Warranty and pony up the dough for a nice little squish bike. Somthing like a 4By or a Peeler SL.

|| www.steedcycles.com || www.sram.com || www.rockshox.com ||

March 2, 2003, 6:21 p.m.

Team BIGHIT:

get on it…

:D

March 2, 2003, 6:21 p.m.

Hooker u mean jamie ;) get a .243 for a HT or FS get a Hooker. either way ur getting an amazing frame!

March 2, 2003, 6:37 p.m.

Originally posted by Reggaeman
Send that frame back on Warranty and pony up the dough for a nice little squish bike. Somthing like a 4By or a Peeler SL.

MMMMMMMMM…..4by :drool:
or get a real nice hardtail, like a minuteman, .243, maybe a banshee:)

March 2, 2003, 6:59 p.m.

I think I saw you at on top Sunday…I was buying a full face and gloves and lusting after the Banshee w/ Dorados:cool: .

How about a Chapparel (sp?) if a banshee is too crazy?

March 2, 2003, 7:26 p.m.

you might be able to get it welded then heat-treated by pyrobike. www.pyrobike.com
if it's the right type of alum.

March 2, 2003, 7:33 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO
**Team BIGHIT:

get on it…

:D **

Right on…

SOR

March 2, 2003, 7:55 p.m.

I think I've looked at enough of your pictures to kinda gather your style and it seemed your 420 fit you well.

If you can wait it out; you know you'll be happy. I'm riding a .243 and am in love it's not set up singlespeed and barspinning(i might make it that way sometime though)……..I love the way this bike rides everywhere………….I have had a 5 inch singlecrown on it and it feels great I now have a 5 inch dual crown and it feels even better.

The guys telling you to check out shorter travel duallies are right on. Have you spent much time on a dually out on the trails? Maybe you should take one for a spin. 4 by and Hooker sounds sweet and even a Chaparral w/ a 5th maybe?(spelling?)

I'm biased currently because I'm in love with my .243. Hardtails Rock!!!!!!!!!

p.s. if you do check out a .243 I'd say in your shoes with mostly trail miles I'd go with the mtb b.b. and vertical drops to run lighter cranks and b.b. and what not. My .243 is kinda a hefty lil hardtail (43lbs bmx b.b.) there are pictures on the board in photos and vids.

Stuff For Sale

March 2, 2003, 7:58 p.m.

I just reread your post I may have answered something you didn't ask but…..

If you are asking just wait out the time for a new frame and have nothing on the side or get a dually. I'd have to think about how much I was riding currently and what the weather was like.

I still say if you haven't spent much time on a dually I'd get some trail time in on one to see if it's truley for you.

Stuff For Sale

March 2, 2003, 8:28 p.m.

Now that you are getting old maybe you should look into a full squish bike, it will help save those creaky joints. :lol: Why not do what Anthony has done. Get a .243 and a smaller travel d/c fork like a boxxer.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer