Well that's disappointing

Sept. 30, 2021, 5:57 p.m.

Out of curiosity I checked the main pages of both of our local mtb ezines today and noticed there was a lack of any reference to our first National Day of Truth and Reconciliation. Considering just where it is we do our mtb'ing thing, I figured there might be something that would make a connection between the lands we play on and the people who have inhabited them for millennia.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 30, 2021, 9:14 p.m.

Engaged members get it.

https://nsmba.ca/national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation/

Sept. 30, 2021, 9:45 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Engaged members get it.

That was really well done.

Sept. 30, 2021, 10:13 p.m.

Engaged members get it.

That's not bad, but honestly I'd like to see more.

Sept. 30, 2021, 10:57 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Engaged members get it.

Like what?

Sept. 30, 2021, 11:17 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Engaged members get it.

Like what?

The quick answer is something more in depth that explores what it means to be Indigenous and the history of Coast Salish people on the Shore as I think most of us could benefit from more understanding of Indigenous people. As mountain bikers and enthusiasts of other types of outdoor recreation we have a certain appreciation for the land and that could be parlayed into learning about the importance of the land to Indigenous people and how it figures into their culture. Some people might think that sounds like reinventing the wheel, and I can agree with that to an extent, but what better way to learn something new than through an interest that we already have?

Oct. 1, 2021, 7:13 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Engaged members get it.

That was really well done.

That makes me feel even better about giving them money every year. Kudos.

Oct. 1, 2021, 7:46 a.m.

I see Singletrackworld in the UK managed to post something (although ironically I wonder if 7Mesh checked in with Squamish Nation before using that name?):

https://singletrackworld.com/2021/10/trails-for-truth-and-reconciliation/

Meanwhile in Squamish, Pinkbike just posted the usual Remy Metailler video and 'party laps'........

Oct. 1, 2021, 9:44 a.m.

Engaged members get it.

Agree on seeing more. Actions, not just words.

PORCA partnered with Indigenous Women Outdoors to support an Indigenous woman interested in becoming a PMBIA Level 1 certified mountain bike coach and funded an Introduction to Mountain Biking Program for women and girls from Líl̓wat Nation.

SORCA supports a Squamish Nation driven mountain bike mentorship program, and I believe they also hire Squamish Nation youth as part of their summer trail crew (or have done so in the past).

Chilliwack Park Society supports a youth mtb and trail building program with Sto:lo Youth

Oct. 1, 2021, 7:19 p.m.

Posted by: mudhoney

Chilliwack Park Society supports a youth mtb and trail building program with Sto:lo Youth

I don't have anything to add to this thread aside from the fact that I've only heard great things about Sto:lo!

Oct. 8, 2021, 12:25 p.m.

Engaged members get it.

PORCA partnered with Indigenous Women Outdoors to support an Indigenous woman interested in becoming a PMBIA Level 1 certified mountain bike coach and funded an Introduction to Mountain Biking Program for women and girls from Líl̓wat Nation.

SORCA supports a Squamish Nation driven mountain bike mentorship program, and I believe they also hire Squamish Nation youth as part of their summer trail crew (or have done so in the past).

Did your statement "actions, not just words" mean to imply the NSMBA has done nothing? 

The 2019 NSMBA Twenty Fiver donated $20 of each registration to the Indigenous Youth Mountain Bike Program. 

In 2017 there was partnership the Tseil-Waututh to do some kids bike nights for their youth along with walk throughs to look at helping them upgrade trails on their land for the kids to have trails. 

Can more be done? Always.

Oct. 9, 2021, 9:23 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

Engaged members get it.

Did your statement "actions, not just words" mean to imply the NSMBA has done nothing?

The 2019 NSMBA Twenty Fiver donated $20 of each registration to the Indigenous Youth Mountain Bike Program.

In 2017 there was partnership the Tseil-Waututh to do some kids bike nights for their youth along with walk throughs to look at helping them upgrade trails on their land for the kids to have trails.

Can more be done? Always.

My personal opinion is that the NSMBA is more concerned with appearance and performance. My personal experience with the organization has been one of gender discrimination, and failure to acknowledge and address such issues.

Edit to add that I did not say that the NSMBA had done nothing, nor did I imply that. It's not just "can more be done" but more is needed.

Last edited by: mudhoney on Oct. 9, 2021, 9:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 9, 2021, 10:27 a.m.

My personal opinion is that the NSMBA is more concerned with appearance and performance. My personal experience with the organization has been one of gender discrimination, and failure to acknowledge and address such issues.

Edit to add that I did not say that the NSMBA had done nothing, nor did I imply that. It's not just "can more be done" but more is needed.

For that to have appropriate context you need to include a time-frame of your personal experience with the NSMBA. I'm not trying to deny the validity of your experience, but my own experience and knowledge leads me to believe that the NSMBA has been fairly gender neutral for a long time.

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 9, 2021, 10:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
Oct. 9, 2021, 10:51 a.m.

For that to have appropriate context you need to include a time-frame of your personal experience with the NSMBA. I'm not trying to deny the validity of your experience, but my own experience and knowledge leads me to believe that the NSMBA has been fairly gender neutral for a long time.

2013 to present. 

Using this phrase: “I’m not trying to deny your experience, but…” does exactly what you say you’re not trying to do.

Oct. 9, 2021, 11:30 a.m.

2013 to present.

Using this phrase: “I’m not trying to deny your experience, but…” does exactly what you say you’re not trying to do.

Yeah I know, but there really isn't another way to express that my own experience/views differ from yours. It's highly possible for two people to share the same/similar experience and have different perceptions of it due to many variables. Your experience is valid, but saying that it differs from the experience of others doesn't mean it's any less important. I don't see it as less important and I'm sorry if you got that impression with what I said. Considering there is a strong female presence on the NSMBA board I'm going to guess that when you say gender discrimination issue that it's related to gender identity discrimination? For the general public that's an important distinction to make, for even though there is more general awareness of LGBTQ+ identities unfortunately most people simply do not understand the topic of gender identity and often have ignorant or negative opinions about that aspect of humanity.

From the outside I think the NSMBA has been very progressive in terms of talking about the many aspects of gender identity when compared to society as a whole, and this is especially true when it comes to the mtb'ing community considering its demographics. That said, I definitely agree with you that they could do more, but I wonder about their capacity to do more. What do you think they need to do internally first to create the type of equity you feel is needed? If you don't want to make this a public issue in this forum I get it, but feel free to send me a pm as I can be an ally for you. Gender identity and Indigeneity are two social issues that are important to me and ones I'd like to see the NSMBA take on, but I know that requires people, time and money and recognize that the NSMBA may not have them to give to those issues considering their main focus of trail advocacy.

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 9, 2021, 11:55 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sp