Welcome former PB users!

July 14, 2021, 8:45 a.m.

Nsmb, the (only) independent, locally owned source of MTB infotainment. we're (mostly) friendly here. 

fascinating shift in the mtb media landscape (PB acquisition by Outside). not entirely surprising, but as someone who has been doing this since pretty much the beginning (i still have MBA issue #1), i'm still a little amazed at the progression through the years. seems we're not a fringe sport anymore?

July 14, 2021, 8:55 a.m.

The implosion in the comment section is something to behold right now.

At least here in the US it is definitely not a fringe sport. Mountain biking has been assimilated into the group of "lifestyle" sports.

I lost interest in PB's articles a while ago, I just hope their buy/sell doesn't go away, although I am pretty sure it can't keep existing in it's current form after this acquisition.

July 14, 2021, 9:10 a.m.

Posted by: kavurider

At least here in the US it is definitely not a fringe sport. Mountain biking has been assimilated into the group of "lifestyle" sports.

I lost interest in PB's articles a while ago, I just hope their buy/sell doesn't go away, although I am pretty sure it can't keep existing in it's current form after this acquisition.

Anything that generates clicks and views will survive. So long as enough people are viewing the ads on the site while using the buy/sell it would likely stay. 

Sad that they are already talking about paywall content. The last 5-ish years I've turned to PB more and more for the daily update on product releases. Back in the day I was an avid Outside reader (print not online) but the quality of content dropped off at some point. 

Bright side is that it wasn't bought by a Men's Health magazine type conglomerate that killed off the Surfer Publications of Bike/Surfer/Powder?

July 14, 2021, 9:55 a.m.

Meh, at the end of the day our "sport" isn't defined by some magazine or publishing trends, it's defined by what you do and who you do it with. Create your own content by going out and living it.

July 14, 2021, 1:23 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

Nsmb, the (only) independent, locally owned source of MTB infotainment. we're (mostly) friendly here. 

Pretty good slogan but somebody needs to add a like button, stat!

July 14, 2021, 3:53 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Anything that generates clicks and views will survive. So long as enough people are viewing the ads on the site while using the buy/sell it would likely stay. 

The buy\sell will continue but I'm sure there will be a cost associated with it. Last year my friends rode with a guy working for PB, and he was talking about the dollar value of the products going through the buy\sell. He was speaking about how they were going to monetize it at that time, so I'm sure Outside will be looking at doing the same.

July 14, 2021, 8:39 p.m.

Buy/sell being a cost is backwards in my view. The fact that its free drives traffic - I have diverted many non-obsessed friends to the PB buy and sell and they have ended up enjoying the content thereafter.

July 14, 2021, 10:26 p.m.

"my only regret is that I have boneitis"

July 14, 2021, 10:36 p.m.

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

Maybe Nsmb could have some kind of "Rep" button to show approval of a post...?

July 14, 2021, 10:56 p.m.

We've already seen a couple new assholes in the in the comment section on new articles :/

July 14, 2021, 11:46 p.m.

Will Outside let the Waki dude back in ?

July 15, 2021, 1:35 a.m.

Posted by: fattirerider

It's been asked for multiple times and it's not possible with the forum software they're running. There are other options tho.

July 15, 2021, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: fattirerider

It's been asked for multiple times and it's not possible with the forum software they're running. There are other options tho.

Like maybe a fucking IGNORE USER option that I've seen mentioned so many times...

July 16, 2021, 7:23 a.m.

We had Rep years ago, remember the green bars and the RepGangGANG? They'd go around and Rep things they like as a team, or de-rep things into oblivion on a whim! Good times.

July 16, 2021, 8:07 a.m.

What do you mean by implosion?