Weird injury...

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:19 a.m.

So I took a tumble on rock yesterday and whacked just below my knee, some blood, no big deal, felt a bit numb or weak behind my knee. Got back on and kept riding, all okay, just a bit of a weird feeling behind my knee. No issues later in the day, but when I got up this morning, I could barely put weight on my leg, kinda painful weakness. No trauma whatsoever to side or back of knee. Did some gentle stretching (hurts to flex or extend too much) and after a while able to walk pretty normally. Now whenever I sit down, it's sore and weak again when I stand up and limp around a bit until it gets moving normally again. Did I do a bit of nerve damage? hyperextend it? Just never did anything like it before, from a rather innocuous hit. Ideas?

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:48 a.m.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 4, 2013, 1:31 p.m.

Lupus for sure.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Aug. 4, 2013, 1:33 p.m.

Web MD says…

Cancer.

Aug. 4, 2013, 2:01 p.m.

Sounds like old age…have someone take you out behind the barn and give you the ol' yeller treatment

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 4, 2013, 2:25 p.m.

Is it swollen? Sometimes it takes a while for the swelling to kick in and then it hurts and constrics movement like a sob.

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:24 p.m.

Knees are tricky things. Internet advice is even trickier. But with the failing BC Medical system, it's little wonder people turn to NSMB for help. Impossible for even educated folks to comment without seeing it. However, in general, it is not unusual for people to smack their knee, and to cause swelling in the joint that makes most normal movements painful. Inflammation also makes the joint move in a non-optimal manner, and can cause increased pain if you over do it. The best way to manage inflammation is ice. Better than drugs, better than stretching. That's just general though, and can't say it applies to your case. However, icing (incessantly, 10 on 5 off in at least 3 cycles, several times per day, is a good starting point. If you're concerned that it's more than just you being a big baby, go throw yourself at the mercy of your doctor (if he or she has an appointment available this year). If you feel any clicking or grinding or popping, or experience any "locking" in the joint, get off your feet.

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:52 p.m.

NSMB is and always will be THE place for medical advice.

For this type of injury (and most others): Grab a case of beer, start drinking, stop whining. If pain persists after one week of treatment remove the offending limb. Repeat.

Cheers Ben

Aug. 5, 2013, 12:33 a.m.

Have you tried homeopathy? I find after I hurt my knee if I drink some water it helps. It also cures cancer or lupus if you drink distiller water.

Aug. 5, 2013, 2:29 a.m.

sounds like you have fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva, its very wierd and very bad

Aug. 5, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

Thanks, Syncro…less messy than a pruning saw, I expect!

Sounds like old age…

partly…I don't seem to bounce like i used to!

Lupus for sure.

Web MD says…

Cancer.

I knew I'd get lots of helpful suggestions!:lol:

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2770539] However, icing (incessantly, 10 on 5 off in at least 3 cycles, several times per day, is a good starting point. If you're concerned that it's more than just you being a big baby…

thanks, cerealkilla'! good excuse to get out of yard work and onto the couch…

NSMB is and always will be THE place for medical advice.

For this type of injury (and most others): Grab a case of beer, start drinking, stop whining. If pain persists after one week of treatment remove the offending limb. Repeat.

^^^^ so far, this and plenty of ibuprofen seem to do the trick! I was hoping someone would suggest "Get a better bike!"

Aug. 5, 2013, 6:56 p.m.

Get a better bike!

Aug. 5, 2013, 9:38 p.m.

If it is swollen and stiff, try RICE - which stands for "rest, ice, compression, and elevation" for a few days. Acetaminophen may help take down the swelling too. If you knee feels wobbly and clickety, you could buy a "Tensor" brand or similar knee support to provide some stability (I have a rubbery/polypropylene style one). If it isn't getting any better, you may want to see a sports physician.

Aug. 5, 2013, 10:16 p.m.

HTFU

Aug. 5, 2013, 10:28 p.m.

http://youtu.be/iw5kH7civTo Lol, what Rivs said.

Thread killer