Weed on the Shore & dogs

April 26, 2014, 4:02 p.m.

So, you like to have a little weed on trail? Helps your flow after the shuttle up Seymour, livin' the North Shore lifestyle, open a growler end of ride. Makes for one fine day on the trails.

Just, be careful with where your weed ends up. Don't toss the end of your joint on the trail, keep an eye that you don't drop anything. Carry out anything half smoked.

What I learned today…. dogs, mine especially, will eat weed. Small bit of weed, just messed up my dog. Figured it out from the smell of his puke. I'd hate to see someone's dog go through what mine just did, so, just be careful with your weed on the trail.

Those new wheels I wanted this summer or some race fees ? Vet bills, but at least I get to keep bringing my dog along on rides.

April 26, 2014, 10:10 p.m.

sad story

diggin

April 26, 2014, 11:35 p.m.

So the Cheech [HTML_REMOVED] Chong Labrador scene wasn't real? Who knew?

Glad the dog ended up ok though.

April 27, 2014, 7:34 a.m.

are you sure it wasn't skunk cabbage? It's in full bloom right now.

April 27, 2014, 7:56 a.m.

Weed is insoluble without fat and eating it has no effect unless it is heated in fat first to release the thc. From a chemistry standpoint its highly likely that it's not what you're thinking. Anecdotally, I've tried eating it many years ago without cooking it in fat and it did absolutely nothing. Perhaps flatch is onto something.

April 27, 2014, 8:28 a.m.

My dog ate some she found in the bushes in my neighbourhood. Not sure how much. 30 Min after a regular afternoon walk she was falling over in the kitchen and acting really spaced out. Took her to emergency and after a urine test they told me she tested positive for pot. Luckily, I was home that evening and hadn't gone anywhere leaving her by herself. The vet said it's possible dogs can die from it if they ingest a lot.

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

April 27, 2014, 8:46 a.m.

Well I guess I am wrong. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

April 27, 2014, 9:24 a.m.

3-4 yrs ago my dog ate a bunch of something on a seymour ride, became super wobbly and close to fully zonked so we took him into the Vet Emerg on 4th and Fir in Van. Turned out to be pot he must have found on the trail and we were told that the amount he ate might have been worse if he didn't have his stomach pumped and other treatment.

April 27, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

This would explain a lot of the dog poisoning incidences in vancouver parks. I avoided bridgeman park after hearing the case of the poisoned tennis ball but it would make more sense dogs are finding weed at bridgeman then poisoned balls.

April 27, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

Yes your dog was fucked up on weed. But it cant kill your dog or have lasting side effects. So relax.
What if a dog eats grass that has been sprayed with weed killer??????
Dogs love anti freeze bla bla bla.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

April 27, 2014, 12:40 p.m.

Thanks for the comments, and thoughts. Few points

- the vet showed us the diagnosis on dogs and pot, it effects them, it can be fatal in a high dose
- 100% it was pot. His puke reeked of it
- I didn't think about parks and other places, this could be a real issue
- weed killer is safe once dry, and many kinds are not toxic to dogs i.e. Roundup
- who leaves anti freeze where dogs can access? Not like someone discards a bowl of it on the rrails

My only ask…. if you're smoking on trail, take any leftovers out with you.

Thanks!

April 27, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

I'm sorry, I just can't believe a roach from a joint would make a dog violently ill. I'm far more certain that your dog chewed on some skunk cabbage. The stuff reeks like the best skunk weed, and is very poisonous. The stuff grows almost anywhere you ride. Especially in wet forest. :google:

April 27, 2014, 2:07 p.m.

Flatch

First, I don't actually know how much, or exactly when my dog ate the pot. I'm just speculating that it was part of a joint, for all I know, someone could have dropped a bag of weed. I do know he was fine before the ride, seemed fine end of the ride, was pretty messed up trying to get out of the truck when we got home.

It doesn't matter what you 'believe', that's not a substitute for facts.

I know you suggested google, but, the diagnosis from my vet seems to be a pretty solid diagnosis to me. You know, direct diagnosis through observation, elimination of other possibilities, years of experience, years of training, and all that.

But, since you suggested google, how's this . . .

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/marijuana/

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-dept/small-animal-dept/treating-marijuana-toxicity.aspx

Skunk cabbage symptoms does not include any of the following that my dog displayed - walking drunk, low heart rate, diluted pupils - http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/skunk-cabbage/

But, to that . . . I didn't know that skunk cabbage was toxic to dogs, thanks for the heads up. Have to watch where I ride the next month or so.

I didn't make this posting to get into a discussion if my dog ate pot or not, I'm just asking people to be careful with your weed. Don't toss any half smoked joints into the woods. If not for the dogs, then just don't leave your garbage out there.

April 27, 2014, 2:36 p.m.

gee, I said I was sorry.:fruit:

April 27, 2014, 2:54 p.m.

Who tosses a half smoked joint?

Pastor of Muppets