Waterfountains

May 17, 2020, 3:10 p.m.

I hate packs so much that I’ll do everything I can to avoid. 

I’ll drink from a stream IF it’s running nicely and IF it’s in a good spot relative to houses and highways and IF I have enough left of the ride that I don’t practically have a choice. 

Having to carry water for my dog too has put me dry sometimes in summer. I hate hate hate packs. If it’s obvious I need to bring one I will but sometimes I choose wrong

May 18, 2020, 5:43 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

Posted by: tungsten

beaver fever

got it, it's incurable.

Low hanging fruit.😷

May 18, 2020, 6:25 a.m.

I had a friend that drank out of a stream (total wilderness) and got Giardiasis. He was puking out of both ends for about a week and took him 3 weeks to get back to normal........he never did that again!

May 18, 2020, 7:40 a.m.

Posted by: Ouch

I had a friend that drank out of a stream (total wilderness) and got Giardiasis. He was puking out of both ends for about a week and took him 3 weeks to get back to normal........he never did that again!

That sucks, but mostly really bad luck. What are odds?

May 18, 2020, 8:32 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I don't know what the odds are, but after seeing the dude suffer, it was enough for me not wanting to risk it! It was brutal!!!

May 18, 2020, 10:06 a.m.

I don't know what the odds are, but after seeing the dude suffer, it was enough for me not wanting to risk it! It was brutal!!!

Heard a couple stories of MTB trips into the Chilcotins where someone drank out of stream with a poor end result. Been up there, running low on water and have to say the fast moving streams look tempting but with the horses and livestock around...

May 18, 2020, 11:04 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

Posted by: craw

Posted by: wine+god

So I've strapped a bunch of shit to my frame to avoid packs and backsweat, but I'm a thirsty dude with a small water bottle.

Obviously Fromme has the water by the gate (and by BP), but where are the rest of the sneaky water spots on the shore?

Do people drink streamwater? Do I just need to pretend I'm a camel and drink less while I ride?

At some point the strap-everything-to-your-bike/hip pack minimalist approach stops being practical. I love it for shorter rides when I know I'm pretty much going straight up and straight down. But If I want to carry more the hip pack doesn't carry well when it's totally full (1.5L) and I tend to drink less from bottles than a bladder. So usually around this time of year I switch to a pack for anything beyond a straight up-down ride. Get a good pack that fits well and it's not an issue.

ooooh, getting all logical now. you're not trying hard enough. tools and spare bits hid in each nook and cranny on your bike, (at great expense) micro parse each remaining item into a 2L fanny pack and then tape, and strap anything else all over your frame.  or just carry a pack with a bit of extra room for that jacket, or sandwhich, or extra water, or, or, or.....

But water bottles on the fork are a bridge too far!

May 18, 2020, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Heard a couple stories of MTB trips into the Chilcotins where someone drank out of stream with a poor end result. Been up there, running low on water and have to say the fast moving streams look tempting but with the horses and livestock around...

I would argue that if you are going on a trip to the Chilcotins, and you dont carry some way of purifying or filtering water, then you arent prepared to be riding in the Chilcotins.

May 18, 2020, 9:16 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: abuxton

Posted by: andy-eunson

Posted by: abuxton

There's is a natural spring on the road to Lynn Headwaters about 2 mins in from the gate. It's handy if you're in the area. Been drinking out of it for 20 years.

So um about that. People line up to fill containers of water from that spring, especially on weekends. I don't know if anybody realizes that the majority of houses up above that you can see on upper Hoskins were built in the 70s. I would think that their sewage pipes probably leak somewhat and shit does in fact flow downhill, or in this case seep... Just saying....

Agreed. Plus various lawn fertilizers and weed killers, dog poop run off. I like tap water just fine. Or filtered water when I’m out there. Way out there where there are no people I don’t have much problem. But around people and livestock no way.

Whatever. I have been getting water there for 20 years like I said. Never heard about anyone ever getting sick from it. There are always people parked filling up car loads of containers.  If it were actually contaminated do you think Metro would allow it? I don't think so. If you don't want to drink it, don't.

I saw someone giving their dog a bath in that spring last summer. Just sayin.

You serious? That's so hilarious and sad at the same time.

Yup. I can't help but laugh when I see people filling their giant water jugs there cause they figure it's better water.

May 28, 2020, 7:54 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

I like my katydyn befree bottle

Salomon's version, which uses the same filter, is currently on sale at MEC. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6007-888/Soft-Flask-500ml-17oz-Xa

May 28, 2020, 9:48 p.m.

Sawyer water filter is what we use. The best IMO

100,000 gallons @ 0.1 micron filtration

June 9, 2020, 12:11 p.m.

Interriver Park has was water refill at Fields 6&7

June 9, 2020, 12:15 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Interriver Park has was water refill at Fields 6&7

Also at Field 3, which is enroute between Seymour and Fromme if you take the Lynn Valley Link route

June 9, 2020, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

There is a fountain in LSCR at the gazebo in the roundabout, north end of Lillooet Road. Midway between Fromme and Seymour. Currently closed for viruses.

This is working again, as are the ones by the washrooms in the parking lot.

Last edited by: PaulB on June 9, 2020, 12:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 12, 2020, 1:19 p.m.

Spirit Trail - Sunrise Park has a water refill tap, near where Windsor Plywood used to be, a little bit West of Rona/Park & Tilford.