Waterfountains

May 15, 2020, 1:49 a.m.

So I've strapped a bunch of shit to my frame to avoid packs and backsweat, but I'm a thirsty dude with a small water bottle.

Obviously Fromme has the water by the gate (and by BP), but where are the rest of the sneaky water spots on the shore?

Do people drink streamwater? Do I just need to pretend I'm a camel and drink less while I ride?

May 15, 2020, 8:02 a.m.

Prehydrate at home.

There is a fountain in LSCR at the gazebo in the roundabout, north end of Lillooet Road. Midway between Fromme and Seymour. Currently closed for viruses.

Last edited by: heckler on May 15, 2020, 8:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 15, 2020, 8:49 a.m.

Posted by: wine+god

So I've strapped a bunch of shit to my frame to avoid packs and backsweat, but I'm a thirsty dude with a small water bottle.

Obviously Fromme has the water by the gate (and by BP), but where are the rest of the sneaky water spots on the shore?

Do people drink streamwater? Do I just need to pretend I'm a camel and drink less while I ride?

Don't drink out of the streams. Will drink out of Lynn creek or the Seymour but only way up higher away from the tourists. The water out of the Seymour currently is delicious with the melt happening.

As far as for any accessable water on the local trail networks that's a negative, will probably be turned off for the next few months. Get a hip belt that holds a bottle or reservoir. That's what in do in the summer on big rides that require more than one bottle of fluid. What Heckler said about prehydration.... that will make a huge difference in how much you need on the ride.

May 15, 2020, 1:50 p.m.

There's is a natural spring on the road to Lynn Headwaters about 2 mins in from the gate. It's handy if you're in the area. Been drinking out of it for 20 years.

Last edited by: abuxton on May 15, 2020, 1:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 15, 2020, 8:04 p.m.

Maybe a small filter like the MSR Trailshot is in order.

May 15, 2020, 8:52 p.m.

beaver fever

May 16, 2020, 11:36 a.m.

Posted by: abuxton

There's is a natural spring on the road to Lynn Headwaters about 2 mins in from the gate. It's handy if you're in the area. Been drinking out of it for 20 years.

So um about that. People line up to fill containers of water from that spring, especially on weekends. I don't know if anybody realizes that the majority of houses up above that you can see on upper Hoskins were built in the 70s. I would think that their sewage pipes probably leak somewhat and shit does in fact flow downhill, or in this case seep... Just saying....

May 16, 2020, 11:53 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

So um about that. People line up to fill containers of water from that spring, especially on weekends. I don't know if anybody realizes that the majority of houses up above that you can see on upper Hoskins were built in the 70s. I would think that their sewage pipes probably leak somewhat and shit does in fact flow downhill, or in this case seep... Just saying....

Agreed. Plus various lawn fertilizers and weed killers, dog poop run off. I like tap water just fine. Or filtered water when I’m out there. Way out there where there are no people I don’t have much problem. But around people and livestock no way.

May 16, 2020, 1:02 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Maybe a small filter like the MSR Trailshot is in order.

I like my katydyn befree bottle

May 16, 2020, 2:37 p.m.

Agreed. Plus various lawn fertilizers and weed killers, dog poop run off. I like tap water just fine. Or filtered water when I’m out there. Way out there where there are no people I don’t have much problem. But around people and livestock no way.

Whatever. I have been getting water there for 20 years like I said. Never heard about anyone ever getting sick from it. There are always people parked filling up car loads of containers.  If it were actually contaminated do you think Metro would allow it? I don't think so. If you don't want to drink it, don't.

May 16, 2020, 5:40 p.m.

Whatever. I have been getting water there for 20 years like I said. Never heard about anyone ever getting sick from it. There are always people parked filling up car loads of containers.  If it were actually contaminated do you think Metro would allow it? I don't think so. If you don't want to drink it, don't.

I saw someone giving their dog a bath in that spring last summer. Just sayin.

May 16, 2020, 7:22 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

You serious? That's so hilarious and sad at the same time.

May 17, 2020, 10:01 a.m.

At some point the strap-everything-to-your-bike/hip pack minimalist approach stops being practical. I love it for shorter rides when I know I'm pretty much going straight up and straight down. But If I want to carry more the hip pack doesn't carry well when it's totally full (1.5L) and I tend to drink less from bottles than a bladder. So usually around this time of year I switch to a pack for anything beyond a straight up-down ride. Get a good pack that fits well and it's not an issue.

May 17, 2020, 10:46 a.m.

Posted by: craw

At some point the strap-everything-to-your-bike/hip pack minimalist approach stops being practical. I love it for shorter rides when I know I'm pretty much going straight up and straight down. But If I want to carry more the hip pack doesn't carry well when it's totally full (1.5L) and I tend to drink less from bottles than a bladder. So usually around this time of year I switch to a pack for anything beyond a straight up-down ride. Get a good pack that fits well and it's not an issue.

this.

I do everything mentioned above except drinking from streams (always been afraid of beaver fever). Generally I prehydrate so that I can ride for about 1.5-2 hrs with one bottle. If I'm doing 2-2.5 hrs I throw an extra bottle in my jersey pocket. Problem is with true epics on hot summer days. Mountain streams are dry all summer so a purifier is useless on many BC epics. Also, 2 bottles doesn't leave much in the tank for things going wrong. Unfortunately my camelbak still has a place in my equipment room. If you are going to go out for 3-4 hrs + you should be carrying a shell, some first aid, some food, a phone and a lot of H2O.

This is my favorite pack of all time btw (skyline). It's even comfortable to run with!

May 17, 2020, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Not surprised to hear that but I'm sure those instances are pretty few and far between. If you have a look at it sometime, you can see where the water comes directly from the ground and it flows right into the drain. It's not a standing pool of water. The OP asked where there were some sneaky spots to get water, and I suggested one that I personally have drank out and never had an issue. If you don't want to drink from it, feel free to keep pedalling.