War in the Woods!

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:26 p.m.

oh I apologize for my rudeness! which trails have you built?

from start to finish just one - salvation, but i've done work at least half the trails on seymour and fromme either going out on my own, working with and helping others or organizing and leading trails days. i've also done trail gnome work on cypress and sfu. i've put more time in on all the other trails than i have on my own and i've put in a large amount of time on salvation. suffice it to say i've put in more than enough hours over the past 15 years to be earn being slighlty above the level of arm-chair trail builder.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

quite the little thread derail here.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

look dude, everyone deserves respect for the work they do on our trails as volunteers.

my wife ran into Digger today during her ride. she stopped to talk to him. he was upset that people (you) were calling him out for using concrete up there and was on his way too "decommission it" . I assume he only meant the part of ladies where he deployed the concrete.

Digger is not hard to find. if you disagree with something he is doing you should go ask him about it.

Internet witch hunts are chicken shit. please show proper respect.

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:37 p.m.

from start to finish just one - salvation, but i've done work at least half the trails on seymour and fromme either going out on my own, working with and helping others or organizing and leading trails days. i've also done trail gnome work on cyin a large amount of time on salvation. suffice it to say i've put in more than enough hours over the past 15 years to be earn being slighlty above the level of arm-chair trail builder.

and thank you for all your time spent. seriously .

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:38 p.m.

lol

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:08 p.m.

Wow. Mark Rowe is one of the longest serving trailbuilders still remaining on the Shore having served over a decade on a pure volunteer basis. It's no exaggeration to say that his woodwork, in particular, have no equal.

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:09 p.m.

look dude, everyone deserves respect for the work they do on our trails as volunteers.

my wife ran into Digger today during her ride. she stopped to talk to him. he was upset that people (you) were calling him out for using concrete up there and was on his way too "decommission it" . I assume he only meant the part of ladies where he deployed the concrete.

Digger is not hard to find. if you disagree with something he is doing you should go ask him about it.

Internet witch hunts are chicken shit. please show proper respect.

i am highly reluctant to call someone out when they are not on here to defend themselves. to that end i think i stopped short of calling him out as i didn't bring the concrete point up, but i did feel it was important to state that i don't really agree with the idea of concrete being used as a trail building material when there are other options available. from my end i also didn't see myself being on an internet witch hunt over this and i'm not interested in going down that road. i could have, but i didn't - that's showing respect.

i know that digger carries a lot of street cred as he's done a lot of great work over the years - more than any other single builder on the shore and probably on the planet - but that doesn't mean he's impervious to making mistakes. every builder makes mistakes at some point or another and like it or not we're accountable for them no matter how big one's rock star status might be.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:11 p.m.

Diggers trail, Diggers call. if there was a better way to do it he'd have done it.

All you arm chair trail builders need a nice warm mug of STFU. Digger could just decide to decom ladies. who'd work on it then? you?

I agree. Trail builder does the work. Trail builder gets to make the call.

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:11 p.m.

and thank you for all your time spent. seriously .

you're welcome! i do it because it's fun and i enjoy it and i would hope that's why other builders do it too.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:12 p.m.

I agree with Blackfly.

Are you forgetting who we are and where we came from?

We were the crazy bastards riding skinnies and dorps to falt.We were the ones riding trails so technically challenging that we were revered by the rest of the cycling world.

….now it has been mostly watered down to the same shit you can ride anywhere….most of the soul is gone.

If oldtimers are hiking the fabled "northshore trails" is all gone.

I know eyes on pages mean something to you Cam,and the more "accessable thesport becomes,the better for your site…..but this is no longer "riding on the Shore".

Did you ride Ladies when it was new? It's way more like it was then when Digger does some work.

And I couldn't give a fuck about eyes on these pages. Seriously. 90% of our traffic is not from the Shore. 70% isn't even from Canada. You don't have a fucking clue about me or my motivations so quit pretending.

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:14 p.m.

strangely enough, i don't agree with that. builders don't always get to do whatever they want and i know what it's like to be on the losing end of that discussion. i would agree that the majority of the time though it's the person doing the work who gets the final say.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:15 p.m.

Well said Lee.

Somebody tell Digger that Lee is defending him on the boards. He only seems to hear the negative shit. And maybe everyone should stop talking to Digger about the boards anyway. He doesn't come here and when he hears stuff second hand he always hears a more negative version.

If he wanted to he could come here himself - but he doesn't want to.

And as mentioned above, Digger has been using a little cement for as long as he's been building.

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:30 p.m.

syncro

sorry for quoting you in my original post. I was referring to All the arm chair builders. not u.

also , I have no idea who's done what on the shore until someone mentioned it. I had not heard of you until today.

all that being said, my point remains the same. Di

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

strangely enough, i don't agree with that. builders don't always get to do whatever they want and i know what it's like to be on the losing end of that discussion. i would agree that the majority of the time though it's the person doing the work who gets the final say.

Digger does.

If you were Digger you would too.

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:57 p.m.

OK, lets do this again.

In general, things have been dumbed down to make the sport more accessible to the masses.

This is not true.

There is no hidden agenda, no conspiracy, and this belief suggests you are not informed.