War in the Woods!

Sept. 13, 2015, 9:15 a.m.

The last time I saw concrete on a trail was… Oh wait that was a sidewalk
I agree with syncro

Sept. 13, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

nothing wrong with using a bit of concrete to hold rocks together if you have no other option.

Sept. 13, 2015, 9:54 a.m.

nothing wrong with using a bit of concrete to hold rocks together if you have no other option.

dig out the rocks and re-set them in dirt if needed then.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 10:18 a.m.

Or use kitty litter.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 13, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

dig out the rocks and re-set them in dirt if needed then.

Not where I'm building. Rock piles and boulders on top of bedrock. No other option but to set them in with concrete. No dirt.

Sept. 13, 2015, 11:11 a.m.

Not where I'm building. Rock piles and boulders on top of bedrock. No other option but to set them in with concrete. No dirt.

no option for a different line then? my comments were in relation to the concrete on ladies, but i'd still be reluctant to use concrete on a trail pretty much anywhere. without pics or seeing your particular situation first hand though you're right that i can't really for sure about not using concrete on your trail.

the idea of using concrete as a building material on a trail just seems so foreign to me.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 11:40 a.m.

You wouldn't pour concrete into a hole for a bridge supports?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 13, 2015, 11:53 a.m.

You wouldn't pour concrete into a hole for a bridge supports?

nope, i'd use soccer ball sized rocks in combination with dirt to anchor in a post. imo it's more effective than concrete as the dirt and rocks you put into the hole "knits" together with the surrounding soil to keep things from moving. concrete works, but you have to make sure your hole is bell shaped being wider at the bottom than the top. the amount of concrete you'd need to haul in just wouldn't make it worth it when you can simply use native materials.

rule of thumb is that the hole should be about 1/3 of the exposed height of the support. if the support is less than 6 feet above ground i would still dig a hole that's at least a couple feet deep.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 12:49 p.m.

i can understand the reasoning behind wanting to use concrete, but have to say i really don't think it has any place on the trail bed. if a line is such bad shape or falling apart that it needs concrete to hold it together then maybe the line should either be rebuilt or re-routed.

Diggers trail, Diggers call. if there was a better way to do it he'd have done it.

All you arm chair trail builders need a nice warm mug of STFU. Digger could just decide to decom ladies. who'd work on it then? you?

Sept. 13, 2015, 12:53 p.m.

Diggers trail, Diggers call. if there was a better way to do it he'd have done it.

All you arm chair trail builders need a nice warm mug of STFU. Digger could just decide to decom ladies. who'd work on it then? you?

lol - you must be new here.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

lol - you must be new here.

by all means, please correct me.

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

by all means, please correct me.

arm chair builders?

not quite.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:08 p.m.

arm chair builders?

not quite.

oh I apologize for my rudeness! which trails have you built?

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:16 p.m.

no option for a different line then? my comments were in relation to the concrete on ladies, but i'd still be reluctant to use concrete on a trail pretty much anywhere. without pics or seeing your particular situation first hand though you're right that i can't really for sure about not using concrete on your trail.

the idea of using concrete as a building material on a trail just seems so foreign to me.

Well sure, but there are two lines - one easy and one that has rock. Without something holding the boulders in place it becomes a safety concern because there is little holding them together. I could leave the rock line out but where's the fun in that? Plus, riders won't actually be riding on the concrete, it will basically be the glue that holds the boulders in place.

But under ideal situations where there is plenty of good thick gold and all sizes of rock, then concrete isn't needed.

Sept. 13, 2015, 1:18 p.m.

oh I apologize for my rudeness! which trails have you built?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=46318

yeah bro!!