War in the Woods!

Sept. 7, 2015, 11:07 p.m.

Not really any different from flipping a guy off while driving or saying something to someone in a crowd that bumps into you blah blah blah , people suck let's not make another big thing about it . We seem like a bunch of wankers sometimes about all this petty stuff . I vote for Bike only trails also on a side note .

Sept. 7, 2015, 11:09 p.m.

Most trail runners are good people. Like any group there is always a couple of fucktards who cause shit.

Although hiking poles identify these people as hikers not trail runners- Yeah the Trail run crowd is super chill- The hikers can be pissy at times- sad really

Shows how lazy all these people were until the new lot went in- suddenly piles of hikers and runners galore- I trail run myself but rarley on Fromme, its not really a good running area-

Lets hope this shit doesn't keep happening-

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 7, 2015, 11:24 p.m.

And I also believe we can all get along fine. Everyone I ride with is overly friendly to hikers.

Yesterday, I hiked the BP trail from Hyannis to Seymour Road with my 3 [HTML_REMOVED] 5 year old daughters. Over three hours, we encountered 8-10 bikers, most of them coming uphill between the start of Mushroom and the intersection with Old Buck.

My girls know to step to the side of the trail and let bikes pass, whether they are riding uphill or down. Every single rider said "Thanks!" or, if they were having a hard time breathing, nodded or waved in appreciation. It is a small thing, but it definitely sets a good example for kids.

Sept. 8, 2015, 1:38 a.m.

Although hiking poles identify these people as hikers not trail runners- -

No, they were wearing runners and they. were. running.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 8, 2015, 7:12 a.m.

Although hiking poles identify these people as hikers not trail runners

cross country skiers dry land training?
good thing they weren't training for biathlon

Sept. 8, 2015, 7:13 a.m.

Had a wicked ride today….not a fucktard in sight.

no drama,threats,violence…..nothing.

me too! every day i ride the shore. thankfully the occasional internet drama does not equal everyday reality.

Sept. 8, 2015, 7:28 a.m.

Things are changing fast to our beloved mountain. The birth place of modern mountain biking isn't just being used by us anymore. We need to designate a bunch of trails mountain bike only before it's too late. I appreciate how PC we are as a community. Mountain bikers are great, caring, friendly people, but change is coming. I'm hoping that some of the energy our local mountain bike association has can be put in this direction. Fromme is my local. I ride here almost everyday. I see conflict coming. Half that parking lot is hikers now

that's a nice thought, I disagree, but that's neither here nor there as from the OP this happened on the road, not a specific trail.

Sept. 8, 2015, 8:21 a.m.

Seems these Fromme incidents always involve hiking poles. Ban hiking poles on Fromme. :cuffs:

Sept. 8, 2015, 8:51 a.m.

So … just the other day, we are walking down the Fromme gravel road on the right (our right) and along comes said passionate uphill mountain biker (passionate strained look on face). He almost runs straight into us because he was guarding his lane (the left side going up) as we were coming down.

For some reason a lot of bikers like that left side a lot more because it is smoother. Ah, but rules of the road would suggest that people going uphill should be on the right.

The problem is, there are sometimes many bikers coming up that lane, and it makes it very awkward for the occasional hiker to constantly move out of the way for each biker as they pass each other.

It can make a hiker go batty sometimes.

I don't think that was me, but I do tend to like the left side of the "road" for probably 65% of the ride. I wonder about why that is and maybe it's tradition. No idea. The left side is often softer along the edge……which is actually less advantageous.

I do try to move for people and riders where possible regardless of which side I am on, but in general, at least until recently it seems, outdoors people always seemed to be able to figure this stuff out without any drama.

In the last 10 years, and the years I rode there in the 90s I don't think I ever remember people having a problem with where people are walking/riding/running on the path. Never. Not even recently.

Even riders coming up who are faster than me (90% of riders) don't seem to bitch about going past on one side or the other…..or both.

The fact that some people are flummoxed about moving around on a path in the middle of a forest, is not a good omen for this mountain or any of its users.

I recall one long time rider describing Fromme as largely asshole free. That has been my experience and thus far remains. Perhaps those unfortunate souls can head over to…..Cypress instead.

Sept. 8, 2015, 9:28 a.m.

Fromme will continue to get worse with the parking lot. More people, more problems and bikers will be blamed in most cases. There should be biking only trails imo.

:canada:

Sept. 8, 2015, 9:31 a.m.

This thread should be titled "Asshole pushes Asshole, yelling ensues".

I don't think this has anything to do with "trail runners", "hikers", or "mtn bikers". It is people with bad manners, no common courtesy and a people with a big chip on their shoulder.

It is my opinion that both parties suck.

Sept. 8, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

only ride on rainy days. only cool people are out in the woods when it rains.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 8, 2015, 10:09 a.m.

This thread should be titled "Asshole pushes Asshole, yelling ensues".

I don't think this has anything to do with "trail runners", "hikers", or "mtn bikers". It is people with bad manners, no common courtesy and a people with a big chip on their shoulder.

It is my opinion that both parties suck.

Bingo. We've all been riding trails and come across a group of hikers runners and yes fellow riders that have collected at some place and are blocking the entire trail and when you ride up they look at you like you're supposed to stop too and stand in the way. I have seen it xc skiing too. Fucktard dad has stopped on a downhill corner and spread his family across the trail because he needs to give his crying child a fucking Oreo to shut him up and I'm coming down in the tracks at 40 kph and he's looking at me like I need to slow down????? Jesus tap dancing Christ people, we all need to realize, all of us, is that we are not the only people out there. I'm guessing the riders had their bikes taking up a lot of the road and the entitled runners "needed" to run five abreast.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 8, 2015, 10:16 a.m.

Rode Espresso last week, encountered a group of hikers starting their way up the trail in the new berms at the bottom. Had to take evasive action to avoid their very excited dog. No big deal, I like dogs. Mentioned that there were more bikers likely coming down pretty quick behind me, got a death glare. Oh well.

Sept. 8, 2015, 10:50 a.m.

only ride on rainy days. only cool people are out in the woods when it rains.

^^^this is SOOOOOOOOO true^^^