War in the Woods!

Sept. 11, 2015, 1 p.m.

A couple of hours on Seymour this morning. Loads of really friendly dog walkers, runners, hikers etc. Only saw one MTBer. A miserable beardy lycra clad 29er riding Strava warrior who didn't even glance at me when I stopped and pulled over so he could make the climb. Grrr….

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 11, 2015, 5:11 p.m.

:lol:Nice. Welcome to the shore.

Sept. 11, 2015, 6:18 p.m.

That is a fake video of Tsar Bomba. The real video is much more scary. Just like where I predicted the placing of the parking lot would lead to. This is the not the last.

Sept. 11, 2015, 6:22 p.m.

Things are changing fast to our beloved mountain. The birth place of modern mountain biking isn't just being used by us anymore. We need to designate a bunch of trails mountain bike only before it's too late. I appreciate how PC we are as a community. Mountain bikers are great, caring, friendly people, but change is coming. I'm hoping that some of the energy our local mountain bike association has can be put in this direction. Fromme is my local. I ride here almost everyday. I see conflict coming. Half that parking lot is hikers now

I can't help but thinking in the 33 years I have ridden Fromme I cannot recall any conflicts like this when the trails were challenging, undulating and tough. In all the time I hike up Lower Oilcan I see many hikers coming down. I doubt they would do so if the trail were tough, meaty and challenging. Hikers like it easy, and that is what the mountain biking community today is providing. You reap what you sow.

Sept. 11, 2015, 6:23 p.m.

"You push my friend?" "I'll take a large rock and…..(fill in the blank, eh?) etc etc.

Who talks like this??

I'LL TAKE A LARGE ROCK AND FILL IN YOUR BLANKS!!!!!11!111!1

I TAKE A LARGE ROCK AND CALL THIS BS!!

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 12, 2015, 7:40 a.m.

I've personally encountered countless hikers. I always start with a cheery "Hello!" and a smile, and then I might slow down ask how their day is. I've never ever had a single less than cheerful experience with a hiker, or anyone at all.

The occasional old timer hiker gives me the stinkeye but it just makes the cheeriness of my greetjng kinda amusing. Especially on bike specific trails.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 12, 2015, 10:12 a.m.

I can't help but thinking in the 33 years I have ridden Fromme I cannot recall any conflicts like this when the trails were challenging, undulating and tough. In all the time I hike up Lower Oilcan I see many hikers coming down. I doubt they would do so if the trail were tough, meaty and challenging. Hikers like it easy, and that is what the mountain biking community today is providing. You reap what you sow.

So now you are saying we should make the trails specific to your vision of mountain biking to keep hikers off them?

More of the Frog Lady strategy.

Sept. 12, 2015, 6 p.m.

So now you are saying we should make the trails specific to your vision of mountain biking to keep hikers off them?

I agree with Blackfly.

Are you forgetting who we are and where we came from?

We were the crazy bastards riding skinnies and dorps to falt.We were the ones riding trails so technically challenging that we were revered by the rest of the cycling world.

….now it has been mostly watered down to the same shit you can ride anywhere….most of the soul is gone.

If oldtimers are hiking the fabled "northshore trails" is all gone.

I know eyes on pages mean something to you Cam,and the more "accessable thesport becomes,the better for your site…..but this is no longer "riding on the Shore".

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 12, 2015, 6:02 p.m.

waits for the "the gnar is out there if you look for it" comments

bullshit

it used to be everywhere, and thats why we were there.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 12, 2015, 6:21 p.m.

Today I rode a crazy ass puckering trail to a flowy berm trail followed by more gnar into xc madness. Have any of you complainers ridden anywhere else other than the shore or the Pacific Northwest of the states? If you have then you would realize we have it so good here. I've gone on bike trips expecting awesome riding and yet I still long for the home trails. Check yourselves a little bit. Nobody is making you ride bikes, just shut the fuck up and enjoy what you have at your doorstep.

Sept. 12, 2015, 7:23 p.m.

I agree with Blackfly.

Are you forgetting who we are and where we came from?

We were the crazy bastards riding skinnies and dorps to falt.We were the ones riding trails so technically challenging that we were revered by the rest of the cycling world.

….now it has been mostly watered down to the same shit you can ride anywhere….most of the soul is gone.

If oldtimers are hiking the fabled "northshore trails" is all gone.

I know eyes on pages mean something to you Cam,and the more "accessable thesport becomes,the better for your site…..but this is no longer "riding on the Shore".

Amen. Sad that fewer get this point of view. When you forget where you came from you lose sight of where you are going.

Sept. 12, 2015, 7:30 p.m.

Please. frog lady strategy (I purposely did not capitalize her nickname) is to keep ALL out except her. She has gone past bikers to dog walkers with multiple dogs, which clearly shows a mental instability. My ideology is to provide balance and to not forget where the Shore came from that is being quickly removed to placate to a larger mass that is more easy, friendly and "safe". I understand a few trails (and yes, I know Digger built the new Espresso; you cannot know this having ridden for some time) have to be smoother to introduce a newer rider.

In my young days it was "get your feet wet or but kicked, whatever came first". Interesting that mountain bike mirrors life today: no one wants to earn their stripes, build character or take a lick to improve. Instead of making the rider (or person, if life is the foci) up the ante, we simplify things to make the rider more adept.

Sept. 12, 2015, 7:33 p.m.

waits for the "the gnar is out there if you look for it" comments

bullshit

it used to be everywhere, and thats why we were there.

This is why I am spending more time riding Burke. The trails are more natural, not groomed, but are not as hard as Cypress or Fromme or Seymour. Now that my workplace is moving and Burke will be 20 minutes away, this will change. Maybe I can make Burke today what the Shore was…….. we will see. I understand it is a BC park and they do not like structures, but that is not what makes a trail fun. The terrain does. We will see.

Sept. 12, 2015, 7:43 p.m.

Trails aren't fully what they were at a different time, I'm outraged! you guys need to get over yourselves.

Sept. 12, 2015, 7:52 p.m.

Trails aren't fully what they were at a different time, I'm outraged! you guys need to get over yourselves.

OK, lets do this again.

In general, things have been dumbed down to make the sport more accessible to the masses.

Now we have used conflicts….who woulda thunk???? riders vs. stravaholes vs. ebikers vs. #endurons vs. hikers vs. gnarlerbladers….all laying claim to the same homogenized buffed up trails.

….but at the end of the day, more "riders" equals more money for a few, and it looks to me to be the path the Shore has been led down.

I dont even know why I have an attachment or care for that place anymore…Maybe as an outsider now I can see what youve become….and its far removed from what made you, which saddens me.

Pastor of Muppets