War in the Woods!

Sept. 8, 2015, 11:39 a.m.

This thread should be titled "Asshole pushes Asshole, yelling ensues".

I don't think this has anything to do with "trail runners", "hikers", or "mtn bikers". It is people with bad manners, no common courtesy and a people with a big chip on their shoulder.

It is my opinion that both parties suck.

Yup. 98% of all groups are reasonable people. 2% of all groups are jerks. I had many pleasant encounters with families, hikers, trail runners and other riders on Seymour yesterday. I've also had unpleasant encounters with members of all the aforementioned usergroups.

Also, what's with all this talk of 'guarding the lane to the left' etc? Are people really in such a rush that they get upset at having to steer around someone who was inadvertently blocking their path on the climb up? I go to the forest to escape such stresses. If I have to turn around someone's bike/dog/child etc it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Smile, laugh about it, say hi, and go on your merry way.

Sept. 8, 2015, 11:56 a.m.

It's the occasional lone person that looks like they may have escaped from a half-way house that gives me the willies. Every month it seems I cross paths with someone like it. You give them a nod and a smile or a "hello" and they either glare at you with cold dead eyes or they ignore you and keep going. Unnerving to say the least. It's why I carry a large knife in my pack. Wildlife, shmildlife.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

This thread should be titled "Asshole pushes Asshole, yelling ensues".

I don't think this has anything to do with "trail runners", "hikers", or "mtn bikers". It is people with bad manners, no common courtesy and a people with a big chip on their shoulder.

It is my opinion that both parties suck.

Actually it was the "shovees" friend who was verbally abusing the runners. The victim of this very minor assault seemed more sanguine about the situation.

And yeah, raving like a lunatic was a fair bit over the top. A calm reasoned approach in that situation would have represented us as a community much better.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 8, 2015, 12:50 p.m.

Yup. 98% of all groups are reasonable people. 2% of all groups are jerks.

I would go further, 99.59% of people are reasonable, .41% of people are jerks.

Edit: sub "trail users" for "people"

Sept. 8, 2015, 1:10 p.m.

Really running down mountain highway they were wasting their lives

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 8, 2015, 2:01 p.m.

Actually it was the "shovees" friend who was verbally abusing the runners. The victim of this very minor assault seemed more sanguine about the situation.

And yeah, raving like a lunatic was a fair bit over the top. A calm reasoned approach in that situation would have represented us as a community much better.

I did get that part, but it was too hard to turn into a nice concise quote to describe the situation.

If anything, the "friend" part makes the whole situation worse!

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:23 p.m.

Why is it always on Fromme and not Seymour? Its weird, I rarely ride Seymour, but when I do it always seems people are more friendly there. Not that they are unfriendly at Fromme, just super friendly on Seymour.

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:47 p.m.

I once saw a biker on biker encounter in the woods, but didn't bother to categorize the types that were involved.

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:49 p.m.

^
smegolas,
that's easy. One is closer to the cove (happy stoners) and the other is closer to lynn valley (thugs and bangers). Hahha.
:rawr:

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:50 p.m.

I once saw a biker on biker encounter in the woods, but didn't bother to categorize the types that were involved.

Are you suggesting a rump rogering?? :mad::uk:

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2015, 6:52 p.m.

I've personally encountered countless hikers. I always start with a cheery "Hello!" and a smile, and then I might slow down ask how their day is. I've never ever had a single less than cheerful experience with a hiker, or anyone at all.

If someone treats you like shit (on the trail or otherwise) then that's THEIR problem not yours, and that makes THEM an asshole. Yeah it sucks when someone is cunty but you absolutely do NOT have to retaliate with asshole-ness right back, you can be a mature adult and ignore them.

Bottom line? You get what you give.

Sept. 8, 2015, 6:52 p.m.

Well, 4 hours on Fromme this afternoon and I only saw one person. And she was awesome! An elderlyish lady at the final intersection between No Quarter and Dreamweaver. She was telling me how gnarly DW was (she'd crossed the log bridge with the cable and dropped down to the creek!), and I tried to give her directions to Per Gynt, which is what she had planned to walk up. I swear there used to be a sign there but I guess some dick stole it like the others…. We chatted about the new climbing trail and then we went our separate ways. She even said that she'd get out of the way of me if she saw me coming down as it was easy for her to move over rather than me try and slow down!

And here endeth todays exciting story :)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 8, 2015, 7:36 p.m.

I've personally encountered countless hikers. I always start with a cheery "Hello!" and a smile, and then I might slow down ask how their day is. I've never ever had a single less than cheerful experience with a hiker, or anyone at all.

If someone treats you like shit (on the trail or otherwise) then that's THEIR problem not yours, and that makes THEM an asshole. Yeah it sucks when someone is cunty but you absolutely do NOT have to retaliate with asshole-ness right back, you can be a mature adult and ignore them.

Bottom line? You get what you give.

Same here.

This thread is just an amplifier of a single incident that occurs when two dickheads encounter one another. The vast majority of interactions are positive on the trails. No reason to blow shit out of proportion.

Sept. 8, 2015, 9:41 p.m.

Yup. 98% of all groups are reasonable people. 2% of all groups are jerks. I had many pleasant encounters with families, hikers, trail runners and other riders on Seymour yesterday. I've also had unpleasant encounters with members of all the aforementioned usergroups.

Also, what's with all this talk of 'guarding the lane to the left' etc? Are people really in such a rush that they get upset at having to steer around someone who was inadvertently blocking their path on the climb up? I go to the forest to escape such stresses. If I have to turn around someone's bike/dog/child etc it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Smile, laugh about it, say hi, and go on your merry way.

Good luck getting any KOMs with that kind of loser talk.

Sept. 8, 2015, 10:14 p.m.

Had a wicked ride today….not a fucktard in sight.

no drama,threats,violence…..nothing.

Waitress was a littleslow with my first post ride beer….but i'll let that slide.

of course, im 12 hours removed from your shitshow…

Same thing again today….think ill have that waitress fired.

Pastor of Muppets