VPD ticketing bike racks for obscuring rear plate.

Feb. 7, 2014, 11 a.m.

Which begs the question, how do the toll people track you down if you were driving a rented car? Do they go to the Rental Company and they deduct the toll off your credit card? Seems like a lot of work for a few $.

I heard that's what happens for parking tickets in rentals so I would think so

Feb. 7, 2014, 11 a.m.

Which begs the question, how do the toll people track you down if you were driving a rented car? Do they go to the Rental Company and they deduct the toll off your credit card? Seems like a lot of work for a few $.

That is how they did it when I drove toll roads in Florida in a rented car. The car rental company charges it back to you.

The BC rental car companies did the same thing back when BC had photo radar. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing now with the red light cameras.

Feb. 7, 2014, 11:17 a.m.

Which begs the question, how do the toll people track you down if you were driving a rental car? Do they go to the Rental Company and the rental company deducts the toll off your credit card? Seems like a lot of work for a few $ unless there is an agreement with the rental company that does it electronically/automatically.

Rental company sub-contracts it out to another collection agency (at least this is what Enterprise Rentals does). You sign a piece of paper which shows that you acknowledge that this is going to happen. It takes a little while, but if you cross a toll bridge you will eventually get a charge on your card that is a few dollars more than the actual toll.

Feb. 7, 2014, 11:26 a.m.

I keep a copy of this in my phone, just in case. Unsure where the image came from but I vaguely remember a similar thread a few years ago on here I may have stolen the photo from.

Thanks for the picture I'll keep it on file.

Feb. 7, 2014, 11:28 a.m.

I keep getting dinged twice when I tow my shared boat (licensed in my co-owners name) with my truck over the golden ears.

Feb. 7, 2014, 11:50 a.m.

Another thing happening is charging for a longer vehicle on the bridge if you have a rack. A way around that might be to get a treo sticker on my vehicle. Then they won't have to do a visual ID (computerized or otherwise) of the vehicle.

Feb. 7, 2014, 11:53 a.m.

I can't think of a reason not to have the Treo decals, so now have them on all my vehicles even though I rarely drive the Port Mann or Golden Ears.

Feb. 7, 2014, 12:13 p.m.

Thanks for the picture I'll keep it on file.

And say you are ticketed for obscuring your plate with a rack. Then what? Just because a cop does it doesn't mean it is OK.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 7, 2014, 12:28 p.m.

And say you are ticketed for obscuring your plate with a rack. Then what? Just because a cop does it doesn't mean it is OK.

Well, actually … police are supposed to conduct themselves in a way that reflects all laws, at all times except for emergencies. So yeah, if the cop can do 'it' in a non-emergency situation, then Joe Citizen should be able to take that as being safe, legal behaviour. "It" includes speeding, lane selection, obeying traffic signs/signals, and yes that's right, display of license plates.

Emergency situation can be easily identified as lights/siren activated. Anything else is non-emergency.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 7, 2014, 12:51 p.m.

Well, actually … police are supposed to conduct themselves in a way that reflects all laws, at all times except for emergencies. So yeah, if the cop can do 'it' in a non-emergency situation, then Joe Citizen should be able to take that as being safe, legal behaviour. "It" includes speeding, lane selection, obeying traffic signs/signals, and yes that's right, display of license plates.

Emergency situation can be easily identified as lights/siren activated. Anything else is non-emergency.

Well just use that as a defence in traffic court and get back to me.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 7, 2014, 1:22 p.m.

What do you do with the plate when you have bikes on the rack?

Also, do you have a light on the plate when it is mounted on the rack?

The plate is held on with two bolts, I unscrew it and remount it from the bottom when the rack is down. (Bit of a pain). I have a light for it, but haven't installed it yet.

Feb. 7, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

Fortunately, for me. Abbotsford police are paid for with higher municipal taxes. Unlike the RCMP who subsidize municipalities with revenue from traffic fines. So in Abbotsford the police are pretty civilized.
The RCMP do have a quota with tickets they must give out. They call them contacts.

Feb. 7, 2014, 1:52 p.m.

no question that it sucks to get a huge ticket like that, or to have to move your plates every time you use the rack. But just to play devil's advocate, if you were pedaling along got a hit by a car with an obscured plate like that cop minivan, you'd be pissed if the guy drove off and you couldn't read the plate #. There is a reason for it.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 7, 2014, 1:55 p.m.

GOD I JUST HATE IT WHEN THERE'S A LAW. And dammit when there IS a law and it's enforced it just makes me SO mad that I'm just going to get on a forum and complain.

I don't even know whey they have this silly law. I mean, obscured license plates make sense right? Why WOULD we want to be able to identify vehicles uniquely. I mean tolls are one thing. And OHHH BOY do I like to complain about tolls as much as everyone else does on a forum. But why would I want to see a hit and run car getting away? I could just POST it on a forum and then someone here could just tell me that they did it! Or, I could post up that it was a dirty truck with bike racks… possibly a toyota … along Lynn Valley and that'll lead us right to them!

S H U T it you whiners! I think we can raise our level of maturity on here juuuuust a smidge.

;)

Feb. 7, 2014, 2:35 p.m.

Rental company sub-contracts it out to another collection agency (at least this is what Enterprise Rentals does). You sign a piece of paper which shows that you acknowledge that this is going to happen. It takes a little while, but if you cross a toll bridge you will eventually get a charge on your card that is a few dollarsmore than the actual toll.

I got dinged with a $25 service fee for driving a rental car on the TO toll road, on top of the per kilometer charge, because the rental car didn't have the transponder.

I won't make that mistake again…