Vanvouver Costal health warning about riding.

May 31, 2016, 12:42 p.m.

The timing might be good for some education. There are a lot of noobs out there right now who might need a reminder to ride within their limits

What he said.

I can't believe with the parking lot on Fromme how many people I see up there now with CCM bikes with their 10 year old kid riding in tail on her Disney Princess bike. I bet I saw 10 bikes that are from Canadian Tire or Walmart on Sunday. This time last year I would have seen zero. These people need to be educated on safety and knowing their limits. It's a different world then when most of us started riding.

May 31, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

^ This

What the hell is wrong with trying to make people more conscious of injury and the potential of preventing it? I think it's an important message, I agree that wearing body armour isn't the "perfect solution".

From a personal level, I have seen way more serious injuries this year in my circle of friends than in previous years, hell, I even wrote an article about it that will be published in the next issue of MTB4Her. I think people need to spend more time being self aware, and as previously stated by others "ride within their limits"

The amount of health care $ spent on fixing up a few unfortunate mountain bikers is dwarfed by the amount of $ spent on treating preventable disease caused by inactivity and poor lifestyle choices.

The advertising campaign just rubs me the wrong way. They should be aggressively trying to get people on bikes NOT scaring people off them.

I would rather my kid broke his arm riding his bike, and in the process learned something about risk versus reward and improved his physical fitness. Versus him sitting on his ass playing PS3 and becoming obese and all the associated health problems that would cost substantially more for both the health system and him personally.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

May 31, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

The advertising campaign just rubs me the wrong way. They should be aggressively trying to get people on bikes NOT scaring people off them.

this x1000

public health knows that people have much worse health outcomes from being inactive than from riding bikes

this goes for personal health outcomes, and for health-care system expenditures

given the rising rates of general and childhood obesity, and decreasing rates of childhood physical activity across north america, vch and the like should be doing everything they can to get more people out on bikes

fear-mongering campaigns like this one do exactly the opposite - they frame mountain biking as dangerous, and reduce its appeal, thereby depressing activity, instead of actually improving safety outcomes - and the public health officers at vch know this, which makes this campaign doubly foolish

they should have thrown the money and time at an initiative like trips for kids, which has been working for over 10 years to get underprivelleged kids in metro vancouver out on the trails, and teaching them both how to be safe and to love riding and being active

http://tfkvancouver.org

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 31, 2016, 2:08 p.m.

this x1000

public health knows that people have much worse health outcomes from being inactive than from riding bikes

given the rising rates of general and childhood obesity, and decreasing rates of childhood physical activity across north america, vch and the like should be doing everything they can to get more people out on bikes

fear-mongering campaigns like this one do exactly the opposite - they frame mountain biking as dangerous, and reduce its appeal, thereby depressing activity, instead of actually improving safety outcomes - and the public health officers at vch know this, which makes this campaign doubly foolish

they should have thrown the money and time at an initiative like trips for kids, which has been working for over 10 years to get underprivelleged kids in metro vancouver out on the trails, and teaching them both how to be safe and to love riding and being active

Thanks for confirming I wasn't the only one who thought the campaign was out to lunch.

Trips for kids looks like a great program! That is what we need more of!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

May 31, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

this x1000

There is less profit to be made from people who are active. Active people need less ritalin, anti depressants, and such meds that cost money.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 1, 2016, 10:47 p.m.

I had an interesting discussion with the admitting nurse at the Whistler ER a couple of years ago (no, I was not there due to a bike injury)…her observation was that the plethora of injuries that occur at the WBP are from non-riders. More specifically, middle aged dudes (my age group) who are visiting Whistler and decide to rent some gear and "try" mountain biking.
So Coastal Healths stats are skewed by ringers.

June 2, 2016, 8:30 a.m.

I'd like to know how many here on this board never had an injury. Shit happens, it a risky sport, get over it.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 2, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

There is less profit to be made from people who are active. Active people need less ritalin, anti depressants, and such meds that cost money.

You need to loosen your tinfoil hat.

June 2, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

It makes total sense, given that our health care system is a giant ponzi scheme.

I agree, never mind that exercise is the best and most effective means of staying healthy, since the health profession makes $0 from prevention.

Our Health Care system is desighed to address acute problems (injuries, accidents) when in fact the biggest risk to the well-being of Canadians is chronic problems, like obesity, heart disease, diabetes that can be largely addressed through an active lifestyle.

So yeah, worry about the 100 people a year who get injured Mountain biking in BC each year, about 60% of them in Whistler (and probably 90% of those at the Bike Park). That means the number of "recreational riders" with serious injuries is probably about 50 a year.

More than 5,600 Canadians seriously injured every year from winter activities

In 2010–2011, there were 2,329 hospital admissions for a skiing or snowboarding fall or crash, compared with 1,114 hockey-related hospitalizations. Other seasonal activities also led to hospital stays: ice skating (889); snowmobiling (1,126); and tobogganing (171).

June 2, 2016, 5:32 p.m.

In some ways, even with the new "dumbed down" shore, we live in a bubble. Access to trails and skill progression/gnar in BC is endless. For type A personalities, controlling your enthusiasm and controlling your desire to bag new lines can lead some to get in over their heads. When you're trying to grow your skills and step up up your game, it's easy to not always fully appreciate the consequences of a small mistake. You have to know when to say when. No shame in stepping it back a bit. It doesn't always have to be about progression, sometimes a little regression is just as cool as long as you're still having fun and getting out there.

I think their message makes sense. They're not saying mountain biking is too dangerous, don't ever try it. They're saying, mountain biking is dangerous, don't be too greedy out there. I don't really see anything controversial about that at all. Probably largely ineffective and useless in terms of public health policy, so maybe it's a minor waste of money, but other than that, I don't have a problem with it.

June 2, 2016, 9:13 p.m.

"I'm pretty sure I can pass that guy"

:lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 3, 2016, 8:07 a.m.

100 people a year who get injured Mountain biking in BC each year

You sure about that? Sounds like at least a factor of 10 too low to me.

June 3, 2016, 9 a.m.

I think they meant 100 people required surgery last year from mountain biking. I'm sure I hurt myself 100 times last year.

June 20, 2016, 4:16 p.m.

What he said.

I can't believe with the parking lot on Fromme how many people I see up there now with CCM bikes with their 10 year old kid riding in tail on her Disney Princess bike. I bet I saw 10 bikes that are from Canadian Tire or Walmart on Sunday. This time last year I would have seen zero. These people need to be educated on safety and knowing their limits. It's a different world then when most of us started riding.

Not so much on Seymour. Lots on Fromme.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

June 22, 2016, 5:03 p.m.

Wow pretty sensitive bunch here. The article doesn't tell anyone to not ride, I wouldn't call it fear mongering either… That's pretty extreme.

And kind of brash to claim the only intent of this campaign is to save money; who knows if it will work. But what if this campaign is enough to raise the awareness of just 1 rider to ride within his means, prevent a possible broken neck or spine fracture and allow this guy to not spend the rest of his life as a para/quadriplegic? What's the dollar value you put on that? We all know shit happens, but there are also MANY cases where we've all pushed beyond our abilities.

There's more to life than shredding and strava KOMs honestly a bit disappointed by how defensive some of you have responded to this campaign intended to merely raise awareness, aimed at the general public. We can criticize the data, the intent, all we want. But really, the message is just to be careful.

Full disclose I work in health care FWIW