Vanvouver Costal health warning about riding.

May 30, 2016, 10:39 a.m.

Can't say I disagree with any advice pro-offered in the article. In addition their position as health authority mandates their highlighting something like a demonstrable uptick in activity specific injuries.
Except that imo saying "slow down" will get push back. "Ride within your limits" I think resonates better with the average schmo.
Cool left hand drive bike though…..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 30, 2016, 11:27 a.m.

Can we just hijack their twitter contest and start posting pictures of things like people biking with pillows strapped to their body?

http://www.vch.ca/about-us/news/shred-safe-dont-let-injury-cut-your-mountain-biking-season-short

May 30, 2016, 12:23 p.m.

While I appreciate their message I wonder how many more people would visit the hospital due to diseases related to being inactive if they weren't out riding hard and staying in shape?

I'm actually not sure the results of that would be in your favour.

Before biking and in my youth I spent a good 10 years not doing much in the way of physical exercise other than weightlifting c/w PEDs. No cardio, ever. Much alcohol and substance abuse.

I can't recall ever going to the doctor for anything.

After 15 years of biking/trailbuilding and a couple of years of hockey I'm in the best condition of my life, but I've visited doctors/health care professionals for the following:

• Torn ACL - reconstruction
  • Meniscus repair
  • Multiple back strains
  • Elbow dislocation
  • Multiple stitches
  • Groin strain
  • Shoulder injury - still trying to figure out what's wrong
May 30, 2016, 12:26 p.m.

I didn't try very hard to search things, but a no effort google search just turned up this https://www.centre4activeliving.ca/news/2015/02/inactivity-sedentary-behaviour/

Summary
This article summarizes an analysis of the economic impact of getting 10 per cent of Canadians with suboptimal levels of physical activity to move more and reduce sedentary behaviour. By 2040, gross domestic product would grow $7.5 billion and $2.6 billion in health care costs would be reduced.

May 30, 2016, 12:44 p.m.

VCH should now publish stats on % of medical treatments from VCH residents compared to other health jurisdictions.

How do they normalize the injury stats considering people from all over the world are coming here to bike, not to mention the thousands who think, "that looks neat I want to try that".

Comparing injuries at the WBP to biking on the whole is fruitless. Lowering the injury rate at the WBP isn't.

Anyhow any people are hurt alpine skiing? And how many are hurt playing hockey? And how many are hurt playing football? And how many are hurt when their rented orange Lamborghini bounces off the barricades and catches fire? Life is risky. We pay health premiums and taxes to obtain medical treatment when we require it.

No idea.
WB will have the stats on FA/MA on snow compared to dirt. Take that info and put it into injuries/100 users/rider day and we have something to compare off of.

Except that imo saying "slow down" will get push back. "Ride within your limits" I think resonates better with the average schmo.

:lol: @ their cover boy wearing minimalist knee protection.
Many of us have all read on here or heard from a friend about how fatigue or over-zealousness resulted in a crash.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 30, 2016, 1:18 p.m.

WBP does everything they can, signage, encouraging lessons/guides, info practice center at the top.

The biggest issue is people who think they are better then they are, can't protect people from themselves.

give me a break

[

http://www.vch.ca/about-us/news/shred-safe-dont-let-injury-cut-your-mountain-biking-season-short

](http://www.vch.ca/about-us/news/shred-safe-dont-let-injury-cut-your-mountain-biking-season-short)

i like how the guy with the cautionary tale in their video followed all of their advice - he had taken courses, was wearing protective equipment, knew the trails and was riding an innocuous trail feature - and still ended up with a broken neck

what exactly is vch contributing here?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 30, 2016, 1:32 p.m.

I'm actually not sure the results of that would be in your favour.

Before biking and in my youth I spent a good 10 years not doing much in the way of physical exercise other than weightlifting c/w PEDs. No cardio, ever. Much alcohol and substance abuse.

I can't recall ever going to the doctor for anything.

After 15 years of biking/trailbuilding and a couple of years of hockey I'm in the best condition of my life, but I've visited doctors/health care professionals for the following:

• Torn ACL - reconstruction
  • Meniscus repair
  • Multiple back strains
  • Elbow dislocation
  • Multiple stitches
  • Groin strain
  • Shoulder injury - still trying to figure out what's wrong

Sample size of one. ;)

You are older than you were. If you stayed with the poor choices from your youth you may have been 250 lb diabetic with a heart condition and a failing liver, costing the health system more than the relatively trivial incidents you listed.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

May 30, 2016, 1:38 p.m.

Their bike has drivetrain on the left and brakes on the right. Wtf. :D

May 30, 2016, 1:52 p.m.

Their bike has drivetrain on the left and brakes on the right. Wtf. :D

Weird because they got other details right like the crowns on the fork and fork arch haha. Seat tube brace is under the top tube as well.

I don't have a huge problem with the message from an education perspective, basically that MTB is dangerous and crashes have consequence (this should be common sense).

Speaking of WBP injuries, one of my friends is an orthopedic surgery resident at VGH and showed me a video of him trying to get a young dudes hips back in place for surgical repair. The kid had crashed badly in WBP going fast on a jump trail, couldn't figure out which trail. My friend is a big dude, 6'1" and was just going to town on this poor kids legs. Was not fun to watch. I'm glad I got back into MTB at this age where I really fear crashing on jumps.

May 30, 2016, 2:08 p.m.

:lol: @ their cover boy wearing minimalist knee protection.
Many of us have all read on here or heard from a friend about how fatigue or over-zealousness resulted in a crash.

"I'm pretty sure I can pass that guy"

May 30, 2016, 3:47 p.m.

The sport is growing. Get used to it getting more attention.

May 31, 2016, 10:49 a.m.

^ This

What the hell is wrong with trying to make people more conscious of injury and the potential of preventing it? I think it's an important message, I agree that wearing body armour isn't the "perfect solution".

From a personal level, I have seen way more serious injuries this year in my circle of friends than in previous years, hell, I even wrote an article about it that will be published in the next issue of MTB4Her. I think people need to spend more time being self aware, and as previously stated by others "ride within their limits"

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

May 31, 2016, 10:55 a.m.

^ This

What the hell is wrong with trying to make people more conscious of injury and the potential of preventing it? I think it's an important message, I agree that wearing body armour isn't the "perfect solution".

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I think relating WBP with "mountain biking" is statistically useless, and that's the only thing I take issue with.

Well that and having people think armor is there to stop you from breaking bones.

May 31, 2016, 11:16 a.m.

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I think relating WBP with "mountain biking" is statistically useless, and that's the only thing I take issue with.

Well that and having people think armor is there to stop you from breaking bones.

Agreed, I'd go as far as saying taking a course is just as useless or maybe even worst (preventing injuries). Injuries happen to the best in the world. I would name them but the list would be to long… the better you get, the more risk you take, the faster you go etc.. higher risk of serious injury. If you do this sport long enough you will get hurt period. No way around it unless you stay home or never progress.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 31, 2016, 12:11 p.m.

The timing might be good for some education. There are a lot of noobs out there right now who might need a reminder to ride within their limits, especially when riding a killer new bike with more experienced friends. It's common knowledge that a few days in the bike park can really help nail down jumping and cornering skills really fast. But that extra time in the bike park taking new risks at new speeds cranks up the risk of injury.

I don't know anyone who's been riding for any period of time who hasn't endured at least one broken bone and many trips to the clinic.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.