Vanvouver Costal health warning about riding.

May 29, 2016, 2:25 p.m.

While I appreciate their message I wonder how many more people would visit the hospital due to diseases related to being inactive if they weren't out riding hard and staying in shape?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-coastal-health-plays-parent-to-mountain-bikers-1.3604268

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

May 29, 2016, 7:27 p.m.

Or substance abuse issues…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 29, 2016, 7:34 p.m.

I'm not sure there are any stats that measure how many people didn't get murdered because I got out for a ride.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 29, 2016, 7:39 p.m.

It makes total sense, given that our health care system is a giant ponzi scheme.

They're targeting their most fruitful demographic.

They'd rather we drink syrupy concoctions that take years to fuck us up as opposed to the, "Yeah, I can hit that" immediate downtime.

For what it's worth, their suggestions are completely wrong. My biggest downtime was a massive concussion with a Galleazi fracture (ulna/radius). This was when I just started riding and was in complete storm trooper gear (white POC with Leatt).

In my experience, armor just helps with owies. No amount of armor is going to stop me from breaking a bone.

I'm still not sure if the Leatt helped or exacerbated my shit eating.

May 29, 2016, 7:48 p.m.

While I appreciate their message I wonder how many more people would visit the hospital due to diseases related to being inactive if they weren't out riding hard and staying in shape?

you may wonder, but they know: public health researchers put the health related risk to benefit ratio of cycling vs. not cycling at between 1 to 10 -[HTML_REMOVED] 1 to 100. unfortunately, all that knowledge doesn't stop them from putting out shit like this that reinforces the myth that cycling is dangerous. it's as bad as cops contributing to bike to work week by doubling down on ticketing non helmet-wearing cyclists. thanks for nothing!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 29, 2016, 8:12 p.m.

It makes total sense, given that our health care system is a giant ponzi scheme.

This was inflammatory, and just to make sure, I wouldn't have it any other way.

May 29, 2016, 8:54 p.m.

you may wonder, but they know: public health researchers put the health related risk to benefit ratio of cycling vs. not cycling at between 1 to 10 -[HTML_REMOVED] 1 to 100. unfortunately, all that knowledge doesn't stop them from putting out shit like this that reinforces the myth that cycling is dangerous. it's as bad as cops contributing to bike to work week by doubling down on ticketing non helmet-wearing cyclists. thanks for nothing!

Adding to this

Anyone see the ICBC insurance scam commercial where the guy is off work and "at physio" but actually live-streaming a POV ride and his officemates view the sick footy online?

Thanks for nothing ICBC

:deadhorse:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 29, 2016, 8:56 p.m.

Or substance abuse issues…

i ride and abuse substances….havent been to a hospital in years.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

May 29, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

Vancouver Coastal Health is hoping to limit the number of mountain bikers who show up to emergency rooms with serious injuries.

laudable. how are they going to do that?

"Last season 100 mountain bikers needed major emergency surgery," said Dr. John Carsley

ouch, that's alot! hmmm, hoping to limit that number… what to do?

2015 Mountain bike injuries: 58 per cent occurred in Whistler

aha - shut down the wbp, cut injuries by more than half :idea:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 30, 2016, 7:36 a.m.

laudable. how are they going to do that?

ouch, that's alot! hmmm, hoping to limit that number… what to do?

aha - shut down the wbp, cut injuries by more than half :idea:

The ER in Whistler crews up in the summer because they are packed due to the WBP.
That's the ugly truth, like it or not.
I think this story is just Coastal health trying to save money. Due to the shootings in Surrey have really been blowing their budget.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 30, 2016, 7:46 a.m.

The ER in Whistler crews up in the summer because they are packed due to the WBP. That's the ugly truth, like it or not

did you think I was joking?

I think this story is just Coastal health trying to save money. Due to the shootings in Surrey have really been blowing their budget

Surrey is Fraser Health, not VCH

May 30, 2016, 8:09 a.m.

did you think I was joking?

No- def agree with you, sorry came out wrong.

Surrey is Fraser Health, not VCH

I get out to ride WBP a couple times a year. Rumour has it that Whistler/Blackcomb corp has been really trying to get the injury rate down, because as we all know its through the roof. What makes me laugh is that although the younger crew kick my ass in the park. Many wear a fullface, neckbrace and thats all. I wouldn't dream of riding a bike park without leg and elbow pads. If they are so worried, why isn't the rest of the safety equip mandatory?
Flame away……

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 30, 2016, 8:22 a.m.

Elbow and leg armor are there to protect owies. They aren't supporting your bones.

How do they normalize the injury stats considering people from all over the world are coming here to bike, not to mention the thousands who think, "that looks neat I want to try that".

Comparing injuries at the WBP to biking on the whole is fruitless. Lowering the injury rate at the WBP isn't.

May 30, 2016, 8:23 a.m.

And how many people are hurt alpine skiing? And how many are hurt playing hockey? And how many are hurt playing football? And how many are hurt when their rented orange Lamborghini bounces off the barricades and catches fire? Life is risky. We pay health premiums and taxes to obtain medical treatment when we require it.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 30, 2016, 8:46 a.m.

I get out to ride WBP a couple times a year. Rumour has it that Whistler/Blackcomb corp has been really trying to get the injury rate down, because as we all know its through the roof. What makes me laugh is that although the younger crew kick my ass in the park. Many wear a fullface, neckbrace and thats all. I wouldn't dream of riding a bike park without leg and elbow pads. If they are so worried, why isn't the rest of the safety equip mandatory?
Flame away……

WBP does everything they can, signage, encouraging lessons/guides, info practice center at the top.

The biggest issue is people who think they are better then they are, can't protect people from themselves.

When I volunteered there my advice was to be smooth to be fast… No rush.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram