Vancouver riding help

June 18, 2008, 10:25 p.m.

hey everyone,

I have been attending UBC for the past year and have finally rented a secure apartment for this coming year and am brining my nice bike out to the vancouver area this coming fall. Can anyone suggest any close places to ride? I have no access to car transportation as of now and am not sure how I feel about riding my bike around the city as it is a clear target.

Bottom line, does anyone know if there is anything good to ride close-by the city that doesnt require a good bit of a drive?

Thanks to anyone who can help, feel free to send me a PM.

cheers

June 18, 2008, 10:31 p.m.

let us know the general area of your apartment is and maybe we can help you out with:

1. bus routes to seymour, fromme or sfu

2. people willing to take you out riding

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 18, 2008, 10:31 p.m.

What bike, and how far would you ride?

:england:

June 18, 2008, 10:38 p.m.

I apologize for a lack of information:

My apartment is in the vicinity of broadway and macdonald, as i said I am planning to move in fall-ish, is it safe to bring a nice bike on public transport? I have no experience with it, however I have heard horror stories of bike theft o to often.

I am looking for trails, dh, stunts, whatever is thrown at me up to an expert level.

I am leaving my race bike at home and bringing my sx trail.

cheers

June 18, 2008, 11 p.m.

I go to UBC, have a car, ride a few times a week, and can always use more people to ride with. If you ever want to come out send me a PM.

For transit the two main riding spots that are easily accessible are Fromme(take the 210 bus to the top of mountain highway) and SFU(take the skytrain to production way, ride to the top or shuttle with the SFU bus). As far as bringing a bike on the bus, just make sure you sit in front and watch it. I used to always lock it to the rack too on the 210 to fromme as it is a long ride and goes through the sketchier parts of Vancouver. As long as you are nice and quick with your lock the driver doesn't normally even notice. If you are much of a dirt jumper there is some fun stuff near where you live - again, PM me if you want info.

June 19, 2008, 8:55 a.m.

UBC has a cycling club you can join. They organize rides and social events and will hook you up with people who can take you and show you the trails 'round here.

and the Ride planning/sharing section of this forum is another great hook-up.

Goin' Down?

June 19, 2008, 1:32 p.m.

www.nsride.com

June 19, 2008, 2:27 p.m.

Hey, I go to UBC and live not too far from your new place. I've had no problem with taking my expensive bike on the bus including bringing it through the downtown eastside to SFU and Fromme. When I first started, I brought my pedal wrench in case I needed to fend off any junkies. :P

I mostly ride Fromme, and usually take the 22 to downtown and then the 210 from Burrard Station. The route back consists of ripping down Lonsdale Ave and Seabus to downtown, followed by the 22 home or ride if I have energy left. :D

I'd be willing to show you around Fromme if you'd like. PM me I guess.

June 19, 2008, 6:54 p.m.

Thanks a bunch guys, when move in date comes a bit closer I will surely hit some of you guys up to ride.

If anyone is in the north east and wants a tour of highland mountain bike park, hit me up.