Vancouver Bike Show

March 5, 2012, 10:33 a.m.

…I think what Jerry-Rig is saying is that the show needs to way to draw the twenty and thirty something people that don't have kids. How you do this? A pump-track with demo bikes, some kind of indoor competitions? I'm not sure.

Kind of like we used to do at BC Place and very few people would show up? I'm all for it but back to Newgirl's post, if more people don't support, we won't get the additional space alotted to the Bike Show to fit the pump track, dirt track etc.

This is all super good feedback everyone, thanks for sharing. I will make sure show organizer sees this, all is valid.

Almost riding season again…!

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

March 5, 2012, 11:29 a.m.

When we had the Digger built races at BC Place (Watson, Adams, Shandro, Simmon, Schley, etc), the show was packed with vendors, manufacturers, shops, consumers then it slowly got worse.

I think the show would need a special event (something Redbull)to get that draw again. It would have to be hyped up which Redbull does really well.

I think the logic is flawed if you have to rally the troups in large numbers for it to be successful the next year. Why would they even change the format if everyone shows up? which people won't. Doesn't make any sense to me. Peoples time is precious so you have to make it worthwhile.

And it is always riding season on the Northshore.

Just my 2 armchair cents.

:canada:

March 5, 2012, 11:37 a.m.

When we had the Digger built races at BC Place (Watson, Adams, Shandro, Simmon, Schley, etc), the show was packed with vendors, manufacturers, shops, consumers then it slowly got worse.

I think the show would need a special event (something Redbull)to get that draw again. It would have to be hyped up which Redbull does really well.

I think the logic is flawed if you have to rally the troups in large numbers for it to be successful the next year. Why would they even change the format if everyone shows u?, which people won't?. Doesn't make any sense to me. Peoples time is precious so you have to make it worthwhile.

And it is always riding season on the Northshore.

Just my 2 armchair cents.

Jerry is right on this one..

its not up to the people attending to make the show worthwhile.. thats on the vendors/organizors.

give people a tradeshow/bike expo like we used to have and they will attend in droves, trust me people WANT a spring bike expo..we just dont want these lame events we've had for years now..

personaly i think the bike expo needs to go solo and stop being a side attraction to the golf/outdoor exhibits.

i've spent so much money over the years supporting this show by attending/purchasing goods while there.
but in all honesty ive stopped in recent years cuz its NOT been worth it.

with few shops/brands in attendance i might aswell skip it and just surf the net. but its def. what i would prefer to do..

March 5, 2012, 11:42 a.m.

Plaza o Nations was the best, BITD.

Hans Rey!!!

Wasn't there like an off road crit around the venue too?

Picked up my old Brodie there, in '95.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 5, 2012, 12:27 p.m.

back in '95, Connor didn't have the internet to figure out what's the latest and greatest, whereas going to show now - what can they "show" that isn't already old news?

March 5, 2012, 12:30 p.m.

Jerry_Rig, IFO, you have excellent points and I personally agree with all of them. Thanks for sharing, I want the show organizers to read this.

I've always been a fan of the show, in terms of believing that Van could have a great spring show. I too believe Van city could have an awesome show if it was played right.

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

March 5, 2012, 12:39 p.m.

Plaza o Nations was the best, BITD.

Hans Rey!!!

Yeah … they showed bike movies in the movie theater was well. After he did a trials show Hans Rey got up on stage and introduced a movie featuring … Hans Rey!

When you think about it, if film makers complain about the viability of making MTB movies today, think of how it was making movies on celluloid back in the 90s, when MTB was a fringe sport even on the North Shore.

March 5, 2012, 12:40 p.m.

@ plaza of nations back in the 90's was the very pinacle of bike expo's..

thats for sure..

March 5, 2012, 12:48 p.m.

Almost riding season again…!

WAT?

When did it end?

;)

March 5, 2012, 1:54 p.m.

@ plaza of nations back in the 90's was the very pinacle of bike expo's..

thats for sure..

The Plaza shows were good, but the expo at the Sea Otter Classic is something to be seen! No comparison. Worth the trip down to Cali!

March 5, 2012, 1:57 p.m.

The Plaza shows were good, but the expo at the Sea Otter Classic is something to be seen! No comparison. Worth the trip down to Cali!

sorry, yea i should have mentioned when talking about local Vancouver shows..

March 5, 2012, 7:23 p.m.

I was in town over the weekend and popped into the show.
Much smaller than the euro shows i am used to, but as I found with all things around Van, it was friendly and had a positive vibe around it.
When you get all the big manufacturers in one hall then the local shops and smaller guys just get swamped both by the size of the booths but also the range of "stuff" on offer. Its all about getting that balance between being big enough to be sustainable and yet supporting local retailers, not an easy job!
The kids races were ace!
What did get me thinking was the big pool for testing kayaks… Here in the uk we have a huge airbag at events with guys coaching jump skills into it, its always a huge draw for the crowd and a lot of fun!

P.S Sorry if all the above is disjointed, its 3am here and after 30+ hours traveling and jet lag, well i just poured milk into the kettle!?

March 6, 2012, 9:10 p.m.

DB - more suggestions. The talk on riding with more control and confidence, though I did not see it are the sort of things that are simple side attractions that wouldn't cost either a shop or Mfg as much as a booth but still add value. Coaches clinics on whips or railing berms or whatever are things that I would like to see. I don't get to ride as much as i would like so anything that helps me get more out of my limited riding time. But I am just a guy who spends too much time researching and worse, spending money on his bike and gear. Plus there should be more bikes. It's a bike show after all.

Norco and the Whistler Bike Park not being there was just bad form. Full on taking their local customers for granted

March 8, 2012, 9:08 p.m.

Norco and the Whistler Bike Park not being there was just bad form. Full on taking their local customers for granted

The Chromag booth was all class, like the company.

March 25, 2012, 11:10 p.m.

So no more dj's or indoor north shore? Ten years ago that shit was pretty cool

superheros
I like bikes