Vacations? Vancouver Island? Or?

Aug. 12, 2013, 7:20 a.m.

Cool Cumberland seems to be creeping high on the list.

I can't stay at Riding Fool on account of my Dogs. Does anyone know of a good RV park or forest service area around there? I have an off-road tent trailer I'm going to haul where ever I go.

One thing we are lacking out here is proper access to the FSRs, everything is gated or has been blocked off (they've gotten pretty efficient at finding the hidden access points recently as well). I'm not aware of anywhere that you could take your trailer "unofficially", but there are campgrounds and RV parks in the area. Cumberland has a campground and there is an RV park/campground in Courtenay at the Puntledge River. Google should show if I've missed anything.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 12, 2013, 8:13 a.m.

Cool Cumberland seems to be creeping high on the list.

I can't stay at Riding Fool on account of my Dogs. Does anyone know of a good RV park or forest service area around there? I have an off-road tent trailer I'm going to haul where ever I go.

Miracle Beach provincial campground. Puts you about 30-40 mins from Cumberland and an hour from Campbell River. Might be tough to find a spot, but a great campground with shower facilities and an amazing beach nearby. The wife and I did a two week tour of this area last year. Stayed in Miracle Beach for a week and Rathtrevor for another.
Rode Campbell River, Cumberland, Parksville and Nanaimo. Fantastic trip!

Aug. 12, 2013, 11:12 a.m.

You can ride the island any time of the year and easily in a long weekend. Id hit revy and rossland for some alpine.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 12, 2013, 5:23 p.m.

I'm from Oregon (well, almost) and live on Vancouver Island. The island is better hands down when you consider the amount and quality of riding areas and the amount of time driving to get to the riding.

As far as specific locations, there are lots of good recommendations in this thread.

Aug. 12, 2013, 5:53 p.m.

We're confirmed for the Island and we're stoked!

We're thinking Bend in October.

Thanks for the input guys!

Oh and Bryce You are right about Revi and Rossland, but we've done a ton of riding out there already. But if anyone else is reading this looking for a place to go, check it out. it's awesome.

Aug. 12, 2013, 6:15 p.m.

If you are bringing pedally'ish bikes I'd be happy to give you a tour of the Snowden trails in Campbell River.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 12, 2013, 10:46 p.m.

Happy to tour you around South Nanaimo trails if I'm around. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Aug. 13, 2013, 9:34 p.m.

i've heard the campground at Comox lake is pretty redneck. met a couple who happened to join me for a ride as i was soloing and they were staying there. they were from the LM and said it was loud and party time each night they were there and that was during the week. as a local i've never had reason to stay there but i kinda get that impression. just a heads up.