Vacations? Vancouver Island? Or?

Aug. 11, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

I have a 5 day vacation coming up and I'm having a hard time deciding where to go.

I'm looking for a place within a 5 hour drive of Van that has ample AM riding to entertain me for the 5 days.

I ride Whistler and Squamish alot so I'm trying to avoid them as options.

I was thinking the Island but if I go there where is the best base camp spot to access the most trails?

Or am I over looking something?

Aug. 11, 2013, 10:16 a.m.

I have a 5 day vacation coming up and I'm having a hard time deciding where to go.

I'm looking for a place within a 5 hour drive of Van that has ample AM riding to entertain me for the 5 days.

I ride Whistler and Squamish alot so I'm trying to avoid them as options.

I was thinking the Island but if I go there where is the best base camp spot to access the most trails?

Good base camp on the Island is Cumberland, you've got easy access to Snowden in CR, Quadra Island, Forbidden Plateau, Cumberland trails, Hornby, Nanaimo trails, etc. All within an hours drive. If you're looking for budget accomms try the Riding Fool Hostel in Cumberland, or you can see about getting a campsite (although they're pretty packed right now).

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 11, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

have you thought about heading south to oregon?

http://www.ormtb.com/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 11, 2013, 12:43 p.m.

have you thought about heading south to oregon?

http://www.ormtb.com/

I was just in Bend for a week. 8 hour drive, 5 of it on I5. Lots of singletrack there, fast flowy, but not at all technical - XC, not AM. Well mapped and easy to find your way around. Cog Wild for tours. Bend is a cool little town, touristy, but very bike-oriented.

Aug. 11, 2013, 1:45 p.m.

just got back from hood river. had a house with space for 4 adults and 3 kids.. for $1000 for 7 days. hot hot hot. river is awesome, riding is awesome, beer is awesome.

8 hrs to get back, with a 1yr old.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 11, 2013, 6:18 p.m.

The Cumberland base camp idea is a good one. I'm from Victoria and would like to take a week riding out of that area, there's a ton of excellent trails and lakes to explore thataways.

Aug. 11, 2013, 6:36 p.m.

Hmmm Well, Both Bend and the Island have been on the list for a while, but we always end up in Utah and Colorado.

Have any of you been to both the Island and Oregon? Is one much better than the other?

It's just me, my wife and 2 dogs. We usually try to bang out long laps (20-50km) on vacation. Our normal long laps on the shore consist of a couple laps on fromme, on trails above Ladies and then pedal over to Seymour and do whatever, last ride was up bridal-old buck-…-new trail.

Which Area has the most accessible trails with the smallest gap between?

All info is good info.

Thanks again guys

Aug. 11, 2013, 9 p.m.

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca/

and, there's a lake or two, not shit salt water.

Aug. 11, 2013, 9:11 p.m.

Cumberland trail network has almost doubled in reach in the last 2 years. Queso Grande, Switchback, Race Rocks, Rhizome, all good stuff.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 11, 2013, 9:35 p.m.

do you like hard twisty technical trails with ample roots to beat you into sublime submission? like to throw in some step plunges to spice it up? get thee to the Cumberland and Campbell River for some epic riding then! smooth we no got.

the only downside is the dust and heat which has gotten a bit much for this guy. went out today, it was much cooler and even rained, hooray for moisture!

Aug. 11, 2013, 9:48 p.m.

Cumberland trail network has almost doubled in reach in the last 2 years. Queso Grande, Switchback, Race Rocks, Rhizome, all good stuff.

Hoping to get up to Race Rocks tomorrow AM. Going to try out the 30 tooth RaceFace ring on the climb up. I'm guessing this rain is going to make the climb a lot cooler than it's been for the last few weeks.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 11, 2013, 10:20 p.m.

do you like hard twisty technical trails with ample roots to beat you into sublime submission? like to throw in some step plunges to spice it up? get thee to the Cumberland and Campbell River for some epic riding then! smooth we no got.

the only downside is the dust and heat which has gotten a bit much for this guy. went out today, it was much cooler and even rained, hooray for moisture!

I'd like to know what you think of the Shore… I was in heaven riding Cumberland last week. I thought is was pretty buff.

Can't wait to get back there in the fall.

Aug. 11, 2013, 10:36 p.m.

5 days on the Island would be good. Lots of options but you could do something like:

Day1: catch an early ferry over to Nanaimo and ride Doumont or South Nanaimo area. Nanaimo trails are fast and flowy with plentiful quality loops. After riding all day you could overnight and grab a bite.

Nanaimo Map

Day2: Head up to Cumberland, grab a map from Dodge City Cycles, and ride. Check into Riding Fool. Eat and be merry at Waverly Pub.

Day3: Get up early and head to Hornby. If you're feeling cheap and pedally you can park your car at Buckley Bay, catch boat over to Denman, pedal across Denman, catch boat to Hornby, and enjoy singletrack. Overnight Riding Fool.

Day4: Drive up to Campbell River and enjoy some Snowden singletrack. Overnight Riding Fool.

Day5: Ride Forbidden Plateau or Hammerfest then drive home tired and happy.

Aug. 11, 2013, 10:40 p.m.

Go to Cumberland. It is awesome for numerous reasons…. Firstly the trails, great variety, lots of ride options and easy to get to Quadra and Campbell River if you want to go ride another network for a day. Secondly, the town is totally into riding and people are super friendly. Thirdly, get a brocard from this here website and save lots of $ on food and accommodation. Finally stay at the Riding Fool, great location, price and staff.

Jon-boy.

Aug. 11, 2013, 11:42 p.m.

Cool Cumberland seems to be creeping high on the list.

I can't stay at Riding Fool on account of my Dogs. Does anyone know of a good RV park or forest service area around there? I have an off-road tent trailer I'm going to haul where ever I go.