Used bike from US

Aug. 16, 2016, 1:43 p.m.

Wasn't sure where to post this but i AM on the shore…..anyone buy a used bike in the states and bring it back? Is there taxes? Duties? I know I could probably just look it up but this way is way more fun!

Aug. 17, 2016, 9:11 a.m.

I tried selling a bike in the US once. Told the border guards what I was doing and they wouldn't let me cross since I would be entering the US for commercial purposes without the proper visa. They did allow me to meet my buyer in the parking lot outside the customs office though, and the transaction was completed without me every "entering" the country.

So long story short, just say that you are going down for gas and milk like everyone else.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 17, 2016, 1:36 p.m.

I did this recently and even though I declared the bike on the way back (so should have been sent to pay the tax) they just waved me through. I do know of folk who have not declared but for the relatively low purchase price of that bike, I didn't think it was worth risking.

I did buy a brand-new bike in the States once and ride it back over the border. It was raining hard and by the time I made it to Blaine I was covered in road grime and the bike didn't look very new any more. The border guard didn't even ask me if I'd bought anything while I was in the States (probably because I wasn't carrying a pack) - he just commented that it was a terrible day for a ride and sent me on my way!

Aug. 17, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

I did buy a brand-new bike in the States once and ride it back over the border. It was raining hard and by the time I made it to Blaine I was covered in road grime and the bike didn't look very new any more. The border guard didn't even ask me if I'd bought anything while I was in the States (probably because I wasn't carrying a pack) - he just commented that it was a terrible day for a ride and sent me on my way!

Great idea!