Update: 2014 Seymour Work Plan - Trail Decommissions

June 3, 2014, 8:42 a.m.

Please read the below link for recent updates, including trail decommissions on Seymour as per the updated Metro Vancouver work plan.

Feedback can be sent to [email protected]

LSCR Work Plan

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

June 3, 2014, 9:12 a.m.

Shame about Lola and Dales Rock Face. Surprised they are keeping Cambodia.

:canada:

June 3, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

That's a lot of work Metro wants to do.

Well the masses wanted Dales rock face dumbed down and they got waaaaaht they wanted. Thanks for the update NSMBA

Lee Lau

June 3, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

Shame about Lola and Dales Rock Face.

Arrrgh. (not that I can ride that rock face, but I like to stand at the top, then hike down, look back up, and think "maybe, one day…") Decision on Lola is silly - the liabilities have been taken care of (i.e. cut down) already, environmental is a red herring given low traffic. Low volume on Dirty Diapers too, no harm to leave it alone.

June 3, 2014, 10 a.m.

Rather than commiserating over what we (have not yet) lost how about people write to Metro and tell them you are displeased. It may not change their mind, but at least it will make them aware of the fact that we care about what they plan to take away.

[email protected]

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

June 3, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

Shame about Lola and Dales Rock Face. Surprised they are keeping Cambodia.

yeah, i totally agree with you here. there are at least as many difficult moves on cambodia with some at a much higher level, but it is nice to see that cambodia is now officially recognized as it is a decent length trail.

it's also very interesting about DD and lumpy, but these are trails that do not see a lot of traffic. i find it surprising that they feel there are safety concerns on these trails that cannot be mitigated but can possibly appreciate the environmental concerns.

considering the low traffic on these trail though, i think it would be good to do what is possible to bring them up to a mutually agreed upon standard and to keep these around based on historical value.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 3, 2014, 10:34 a.m.

How much of that plan will they actually accomplish? 5%?

June 3, 2014, 10:36 a.m.

I hope they consider keeping the first little rock face before the main crux move on Dale's Trail. I like that one, but have never had the guts to try the big one.

Email sent to LSCR.

Ride, don't slide.

June 3, 2014, 10:49 a.m.

Wish this was posted before last weekend….
got to walk the bike down Lola only to view the horror.

Glad Cambodia will live on. What is the best way to get to Cambodia now? Will there be a new connecting trail, was there one before? Excuse my ignorance as I only arrived at Cambodia via Lola (one of my fav laps for Seymour )

June 3, 2014, 10:55 a.m.

^^^
I see Dirty Diapers and Lumpy gravy give access to Cambodia…never ridden them.
I guess its best I check them out before they are also gone.

I'm optimistic about talk of a new route to access Cambodia .

What's Dirty and Lumpy compare to? good times, skill set?

June 3, 2014, 11:04 a.m.

Seems like they will build a line to Cambodia from somewhere. I'd guess that the rock faces will be rerouted at some point.

:canada:

June 3, 2014, 11:15 a.m.

I'd bet access would be from Ned's where it crosses Mystery Creek.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 3, 2014, 11:19 a.m.

I'd bet access would be from Ned's where it crosses Mystery Creek.

that'll cut off a good chunk of the trail though.

maybe tnt?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 3, 2014, 11:24 a.m.

Why are rock faces being decommissioned? Makes no sense. I understand closing down eroded lines, mitigating environmental disasters,etc but taking out rock faces seems silly. Building a ride-around trail makes sense but shutting down natural, non-eroding features is silly.

I've been firmly in the new-school trail building camp all along because I recognize the positive impact of rejuvenating the long eroded Shore trails and bring them up to a safe and enjoyable level for more riders. I also get that built features pose serious liability issues. Features that are part of the natural terrain, rock faces predominately, should be kept whenever possible.

If Dales isn't the right trail to lead into Forever After, then a new line that matches FA, and somehow leads from the Mushroom lot area should be built.

Finally, the environmental concerns cited because of the mature Fir tree sounds fishy. Meanwhile, the Old Buck climb is getting widened and leveled (which I appreciate). I don't see Metro worrying too much about the trees around there.

At the end of the day, I think shutting down the face on Dales will prove to be difficult. Lots of riders in the background, and I don't mean me, are going to ride it and keep it open.

June 3, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

that'll cut off a good chunk of the trail though.

maybe tnt?

Yeah, pretty sure TNT will lead you right to the top. Never tried, but that's what it looks like on the map.