UFC Finals - three left

April 8, 2005, 10:27 p.m.

I thought Kurts videos were great, being around the same age i look up to guys with such ability at quite a young age. It was hard to pick though, saying as Brooks and Gatzka were really good aswell. But Kurts just had something about it, dunno. I voted Kurt.

Zzzzoom

April 8, 2005, 10:32 p.m.

Finally a good round where the right people are there. Both were awsome videos but i just saw more potential in Kurt and his riding killed it. I cant wait to see this kid blow up.

April 8, 2005, 10:54 p.m.

Steve T for best line/ Best Air!

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

April 8, 2005, 11:44 p.m.

I voted brooks gatzka…but thats the first time this comp I have.

April 9, 2005, 2 a.m.

what is the song in kurts 2nd vid???

April 9, 2005, 6:50 a.m.

Kurt definitely. Age can't be an issue when it's an online Grassroots, starter, big entry to the scene type of thing. AND sorry J Sinclair, I can see your point but do riders really need to be able to get pissed in a bar to represent RF, Giant, Manitou?

How old was Super T, Matt Hunter, Gross, and now Kurt?

I'd say any of the 16 could and will make it in this sport over time.

Congradulations for all that qualified!!!

You're A Peein" - See you next summer BC!!

April 9, 2005, 8:40 a.m.

WOW, 3 star over ord, no foot can over ord, and superseater's. I don't consider those tricks ugly..

Just because someone does a trick doesn't make it stylish. There are good nofoot cancans, and there are bad ones. Regardless, in my opinion all 3stars are ugly, especially the ones in their 2nd video. I'm not saying they aren't rippers, just that I can't vote for someone who isn't 100% style.

On the other hand, I really liked the Brooks/Gatzka lifestyle part. They seem like good people.

I hate gnarwhale.com a lot.

bike mag sucks, so do one footers

i think your just jealous

April 9, 2005, 8:47 a.m.

Haha you wouldn't vote for someone because they aren't good at speaking in front of a camera? Or because they do a 3 star over a road gap that most people would never even think about hitting? You either care way too much about the mountain bike scene, or you just enjoy trying to get people to argue with you…

I wouldn't vote for someone because they chose to speak infront of a camera, and READ a cliche, overdone statement. He should have either spoken without a premade statement (it's not like digital film is expensive if he has to do it a couple times), or his lifestyle should not have been him talking.

I also wouldn't vote for someone who has a single ugly trick in their segment. Why? Because it's edited, all the ugliness should be out of it. Also, I posted another reason why I wouldn't vote for the Duo, which is they didn't really use the 2 man format to their advantage. The train over Ord was so rad.

Oh yes, I do care a bit too much about the mountainbike scene, and I ALSO do enjoy a good discussion. Otherwise messageboards like this get too bland for me.

I hate gnarwhale.com a lot.

bike mag sucks, so do one footers

i think your just jealous

April 9, 2005, 9:36 a.m.

Like Marshall said, whoever wins pretty much makes everythign interesting.

Good stuff.

oh hai!

April 9, 2005, 11:08 a.m.

Hard decision. Both entries were awesome.

Didn't matter who I voted for, all 3 will have success in the biking industry in time to come.

Sober

April 9, 2005, 11:24 a.m.

Kyle Strait is 17 and has competed in 4 Red Bulls, winning the last one. I brought up his name because I don't think age is an issue, as Kyle has proven.

I was making the same point as you… just responded to whoever made the post about age being an issue, and didn't see your post.

650 Racing: Poppin' our collars, tossin' up dollars.

April 9, 2005, 11:31 a.m.

Damn kurt has got skillz now kurt got my vote becasue he is an awsome all around rider and hes just an awsome guy and if you compare the lifestyle videos from all contestents i thnk kurt had balls to just be infront of a video camera and talking and i think that his statement was better so yeah kurt got my vote!

Just my 2 cents

April 9, 2005, 12:29 p.m.

Hard decision. Both entries were awesome.

My thoughts exactly. IMO, the finalists do a great job representing freeriding, and they are the two best videos in the competition.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 11, 2005, 12:42 p.m.

I have some comments…. First of all, holy crap was there some good footage in the subcategories that we never got to see. Hmmmmmm.

Second, whoever wanted to see Joe's "forward flip" in the Best Trick category… Uh, it's only a trick if it's landed. Now, on the same note, Peletzer (or whatever his name is) had a Best Line entry that I believe shouldn't be there. It was obviously done several times, and pasted together, and the entire "line" wasn't landed. There is a cut right before he does the tail180 (apparently because he couldn't land that AND the wire teeter together), and the video cuts off right as he lands on the other wire. A "line" should be one continuous shot, not several cobbled together shots to make it look like you cleaned something you didn't.

3rd, for best air, couldn't they use a better angle of Steve's Ord nohander?

4th, the Grom category should be 14 or 15 and under.

5th, Dustin's Rose Hill gap should NOT have been a Best Air contender.

Finally, I couldn't vote for either Kurt, nor the Duo. Kurt READ HIS LIFESTYLE, hahaha, and the Duo did some ugly tricks (the 3star? or whatever thats called?) and didn't really do a good job focussing on having 2 riders. They should have done more trains, and focussed on riding together.

Joe's forward flip. Wow. Landed or not, he's the first I've even heard of attempting it. Maybe I'm just not up on stuff, but, props to him. I actually had hoped to see him win it all.

Peltzer's line. They showed the crash, my guess, so we'd recognize that he's a rider, just like any one of us. When they showed him try it again, it showed perseverance and determination. The fact that they changed angles for the hop to wire probably has something to do with the wire not being visible from the original angle. When you're able to mimic that, put it on a video and show us - then criticise him.

Steve's air. It's not going to change in size depending on just the camera shot. Just like was originally posted a month ago, Steve's video was unique, because it didn't focus purely on camera angles to make jumps/drops/stunts look big, as did most all other videos. I could take pictures of someone on a two foot drop and make it look like at least four. Turn a four into seven or eight, etc.

Grom category. Kurt Sorge is 16, which would exclude him from the "groms." He's eligible. Race Face wouldn't have included his video had they not wanted the possibility of endorsing a young rider. Johnny Cash's quote in Back in the Saddle describes it well - "The young ones you're calling wild, they'll be the leaders in a little while." That section of the movie always gets me pumped. I'd like to see Sorge's face in a magazine ad or two…

Dustin's Rose Hill gap. Best air does not mean biggest air. There was some big gapping, and plenty of 20+ foot drops. Dustin was nice and clean with his gap, and demonstrated flow.

May the best man(men?) win. This was not intended as a personal attack. :)

April 11, 2005, 1:07 p.m.

To me, Free riding is about making the best of the natural terrain, I love watching dirt jumps, supermans, can-cans etc. but on a groomed dirt jump, I'd rather watch a BMX dude rip it, they are way more hard core than MTB dirt jumpers. not better, just more hard core. the MTB is not really madefor DJ, and is harder to DJ on.

What I didn't like about Kurts Vid was how much groomed stunds he was hitting, hes a great rider, but Brooks/buddy's videos were way more about bustin' it on the natural stunts, with some high risk moves. that double step down shot where the dude stops right befor the edge, then they show the sequence where he makes it, thats free riding. they got my vote through every round.

If Kurt wants to win an "Ultimate Freeride Challange", then he should throw more of his DJ moves off bigger, natural stunts.

my favorite jump in a video is Darren Berrcloth doing a huge superman can can in "Kranked 5" off a natural rock jump over aton of forest carnage below. the shot is from a camera man on a wire swinging through the trees and just ahead of Darren. that Footage rocks. Thats Freeride.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"