UFC comments week 4

March 25, 2005, 9:41 p.m.

Originally posted by Kyle "No Way" Wilcox
Handplants are super hard.

Is he the guy that handplanted the toilet? If you watch that clip slowly, you'll see he MISSES his bar the first time he grabs for it, and still gets it the 2nd. That's fucking nutty.

I hate gnarwhale.com a lot.

bike mag sucks, so do one footers

i think your just jealous

March 25, 2005, 9:56 p.m.

Originally posted by VanIslandWarrior
**I now realize that Dave Mclaughlin from the first round would take my vote for this contest IF he wasnt already hooked up by his all thoughs sponsors.

I will be suprised and disapointed if Kurt Sorge does not win this years UFC… **

Then dont vote for Steve T. He is allready sponsored by Giant, so what is the difference?
Wasnt this competition started to find the best riders who are not in the spotlight and have no sponsors?

March 25, 2005, 10:08 p.m.

**honestly i cant say that any of these videos in this 4th round impressed me. Steve Ts video was the best presented out of all of them, but IMO it doesnt match Sorges video. I agree that there is way to much hucking and the same drops and gaps. Wheres the diversity in the riding? I now realize that Dave Mclaughlin from the first round would take my vote for this contest IF he wasnt already hooked up by his all thoughs sponsors.

I will be suprised and disapointed if Kurt Sorge does not win this years UFC… **

kurt looked like another cam macaul almost with all those dirt jumps Imo.

March 25, 2005, 10:12 p.m.

Originally posted by Professor Frink
Then dont vote for Steve T. He is allready sponsored by Giant, so what is the difference?
Wasnt this competition started to find the best riders who are not in the spotlight and have no sponsors?

Steve does not ride bicycles for a living. The point of the show is to find young talent that isn't riding bikes for a living, and should be. Steve is a prime example. His thing with Giant is tiny, and the reason he probably wrote it in the description was to show Raceface that he represents his sponsors well.

I hate gnarwhale.com a lot.

bike mag sucks, so do one footers

i think your just jealous

March 25, 2005, 10:19 p.m.

Originally posted by BrianPark
Steve does not ride bicycles for a living. The point of the show is to find young talent that isn't riding bikes for a living, and should be. Steve is a prime example. His thing with Giant is tiny, and the reason he probably wrote it in the description was to show Raceface that he represents his sponsors well.

Thanks Brian I coudn't have summed it better myself. I work a 9-5 job, am a broke dirtbag like all the rest of the community and still pay expenses like everyone.

Steve

www.tuchiwsky.com

March 25, 2005, 10:27 p.m.

Originally posted by Chump
**Thanks Brian I coudn't have summed it better myself. I work a 9-5 job, am a broke dirtbag like all the rest of the community and still pay expenses like everyone.

Steve **

I wasnt really directing it towards you in a bad way. I just noticed that VanIslandWarrior would have voted for Dave if he didnt have any sponsors backing him up. But him voting for you seems to make him a hipocrit. I dont think Dave is getting paid to ride either.

March 25, 2005, 11:05 p.m.

I didn't like any of them. Well, actually I liked the tech skills of the trials guy, but really.. I didn't vote last time and I won't vote this time, because I don't really like any of them. They're just not exciting.

Maybe there's something wrong with me but these vids are all nothing special IMO.

(FYI all these guys are far above my skill or balls level)

March 26, 2005, 12:06 a.m.

**honestly i cant say that any of these videos in this 4th round impressed me. Steve Ts video was the best presented out of all of them, but IMO it doesnt match Sorges video. I agree that there is way to much hucking and the same drops and gaps. Wheres the diversity in the riding? I now realize that Dave Mclaughlin from the first round would take my vote for this contest IF he wasnt already hooked up by his all thoughs sponsors.

I don't see how Kurt Sorge's video was very diverse, I mean it was really good, but he really only did pendulums and super-seatgrabs and one roadgap. I am not saying that it was a bad video, I just think that it was fairly repetive. He definatly was the best from his round however. From the looks of things Steve T's gonna' win this years comp. but who knows, we still have the second videos to see, I for one am excited.

This is your birthday pony.

March 26, 2005, 12:31 a.m.

wow this year has turned out dismal. Steve killed it with some good stuff he got my vote but still most all this is really repetitive. Like said before no one has really stood out alot to me a couple hucks did but not a video on the whole. Next year lets step it up this is weak for potential pro riders.

March 26, 2005, 12:44 a.m.

Joe's vid was pretty good. Something different than what everybody else does is good. Seeing that front flip would be rad too.

March 26, 2005, 8:02 a.m.

i didnt vote the last two rounds. I hope they saved the best for last.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

March 26, 2005, 9:48 a.m.

Originally posted by sketch steve
Maybe there's something wrong with me but these vids are all nothing special IMO.

Me too. And being bored at work I spent a lot of time thinking of why. It has to be progression. If doesn't feel like we are going anywhere. Some mild to impressive tricks at times. Lots of dirtjumps with tricks that, at this point it seems, every kid can do, especially if they migrate from bmx. No one really riding a trail until this round (thank god) and without trails whats the point of the mtbike. Guys aren't going any bigger than lots of kids from kelowna, nelson and cali (the odd exception)

Until this round I haven't seen anything beyond Dereks vid (that was the guy with the wire teeter I think) that got me the least bit excited. The front flip looks promising because very few people attempt it and I think its only been landed a couple of times (on a mtbike)

Maybe this is the fault of my mindset, but I watch these vids expecting to see the next Wade etc. But in reality these kids are 10-15 years behind, they very could be the next Wade (in the progression of things) I guess maybe I have to start looking at these vids like I watch OHL games. Look for potential, not current…(I think typing this out just made me find why I haven't been stoked about these vids haha)

March 26, 2005, 12:10 p.m.

Now that I read my last post a day later, I realize that there was a lot of things I wrote that didnt make much sence at all.

Basically I feel that my expectations of this years comp were high. A good mix of every aspect of freeride, not just hucking big. Also I was hoping to see more solid lines, not just single hits (wire teeter line was definitially a highlight) My comment about Kurt Sorge was a bit of a contradictment. Why I think he is going to win is, based on the Video he presented (editing, music, riding) and the competition he is up against, I feel he is going to win. Although I do wish he had more trail riding apposed all the dirt jumping.

March 26, 2005, 12:20 p.m.

For all of you who aren't satisfied with the crop of videos this year: why don't you share with us what it is that you're looking for specifically? I've read a lot of "next year I hope they step it up" etc., step it up to what? Remember, these guys aren't pro. If you're looking for Collective calibre riding [HTML_REMOVED] filming, then you're looking in the wrong place. I've been impressed by the vids. I'd love to have the skills these kids have.

f e r g s :canada:

March 26, 2005, 1:05 p.m.

as a trials rider, it was nice to see some trials in the UFC. one of the guys earlier had a little trials in his vid, but it wasn't that great. this joe guy has some real talent. those tree backflips are ri-cock-ulous and the front flip looks pretty nuts. i think my vote is he doesn't land it, but who knows.

anyways, trials is sick, he's not gonna win the whole thing, but it was nice to see