Two Tchermans and four wheels.

June 12, 2009, 1:05 a.m.

Heya everybody,

me and my wife are coming to British Columbia…finally. :)

We arrive at YVR on July 10, in the afternoon, and we fly back on July 31.

Our plans are to stay in Vancouver for the first couple of days and the following Wednesday we want to cross over to the Island for some beach cruising, some hiking and - of course - some riding.

Plans are to go back via Powell River and drive down the coast back into Vancouver, although and ideas for alternative travel ideas are much appreciated. :)

We thought about renting a car for the lag on Vancouver Island (it makes it easier for us to visit all you folks). This would mean we are more independent and it is easier travelling with two bikes.

I really hope that we get a "big" car where we can easily put our bikes into…..ylthough it could be a little late.

Since she has never been to BC before, we plan on doing a lot of touristy stuff: the UBC Museum, Vancouver downtown and Granville Island, some hiking on the Shore. Some riding on the Shore and in the Woodlot.

Some hiking (preferrably trails with not that many tourists, rather some "hidden gems" not found in the travel guides) on the Island, some hanging around on the beaches with some BBQ, some not sotechnical and rather easy xc-ish riding, you get the idea.

We would like to finish off our trip with going to Clutch on July 29 at the Commodore.

Any ideas, pointers, bad jokes, etc would be much appreciated. Maybe some of you would even like to show two noobs around. Oh, and we can be nice, too.

Later,

Michael and Maren.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 12, 2009, 1:43 a.m.

make sure you guys check out the downtown eastside while you're here, lots of old historical building and other cool stuff to see.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2009, 1:45 a.m.

make sure you guys check out the downtown eastside while you're here, lots of old historical building and other cool stuff to see.

A few blocks away from Gastown?

- Kristen Ulmer

June 12, 2009, 1:52 a.m.

A few blocks away from Gastown?

yeah, that's the place. lots of interesting characters.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2009, 1:59 a.m.

yeah, that's the place. lots of interesting characters.

I think I was one day crazy enough to walk a loooong way from some skytrain station in the direction of gastown. Kinda weird and kinda nice and kinda scary at the same time. Do not know if Maren were into it, though. Too many "odd" people running around.

- Kristen Ulmer

June 12, 2009, 2:09 a.m.

I think I was one day crazy enough to walk a loooong way from some skytrain station in the direction of gastown. Kinda weird and kinda nice and kinda scary at the same time. Do not know if Maren were into it, though. Too many "odd" people running around.

:lol:

yes i remember that day when you got back to my place, you told me all about it.

Ellen Langer

June 12, 2009, 7:32 a.m.

Fromme is actually a great place to hike as well as ride! There are trails that will lead you all the way to the top for some fantastic views. Then you can hike down and show Maren the bike trails. Everybody wins!

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

June 12, 2009, 7:47 a.m.

Lots of riding, hiking, canoeing, kayaking etc near Campbell River, just a 1/2 hour north of the ferry to Powell River. Give me the heads up when you are getting close and we'll give you the tour. :beer:

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

June 12, 2009, 8:45 a.m.

For non-biking activities on Vancouver Island, try Mystic Beach or Botanical Beach out between Sooke and Port Renfrew if you get a chance. Neither is a long hike, but both are beautiful spots where you can see the power of the open Pacific. You could probably spend a day at Botanical Beach just checking out the rock formations and tide pools.

I'll try to think of some other stuff, but keep in mind if you're on vacation, try the more popular stuff during the week when everyone else is busy, don't let the threat of the "touristy stuff" keep you away if it's something you really want to see!

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 12, 2009, 10:02 a.m.

PM'd you.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

June 12, 2009, 11:21 a.m.

For non-biking activities on Vancouver Island, try Mystic Beach or Botanical Beach out between Sooke and Port Renfrew if you get a chance. Neither is a long hike, but both are beautiful spots where you can see the power of the open Pacific. You could probably spend a day at Botanical Beach just checking out the rock formations and tide pools.

I'll try to think of some other stuff, but keep in mind if you're on vacation, try the more popular stuff during the week when everyone else is busy, don't let the threat of the "touristy stuff" keep you away if it's something you really want to see!

Wow. Thanx, feral. Mystic Beach looks dope. :damn: We definitely check that one out.

Tofino is worth a check as well, since Long Beach is not that far away and on the drive up wecould stop and spend some time in Cathedral Grove. Jesus, I miss that place.

Uhh…..getting nervous and all hyped up. :woot:

- Kristen Ulmer

June 12, 2009, 11:48 a.m.

Easy-ish XC riding? Not sure if you have the time, but maybe you should check out Hornby Island. Great place to ride and camp for a day or so.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

June 12, 2009, 1:17 p.m.

Easy-ish XC riding? Not sure if you have the time, but maybe you should check out Hornby Island. Great place to ride and camp for a day or so.

Plus it's not out of the way if you're planning on taking the boat over from Comox to Powell River and then driving down the SSC to Vancouver..

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 12, 2009, 10:57 p.m.

I'd be happy to show you around Hornby

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

June 12, 2009, 11:15 p.m.

When you are in the Comox Valley you let me know.