Tri-cities / Burke / Eagle trails / Coquitlam living

July 23, 2020, 1:48 p.m.

Accepted a job in Coquitlam so we're moving out there at the end of the month, leaving the downtown core. No idea what to expect out of living in Coq after living downtown in every city I've ever lived in. The job takes us out there but thankfully we found a place with a backyard so our toddler will finally have some space. Get us out of this 700sq ft 1 bedroom...

I hear that Burke and Eagle have some great riding, but have never been out there. Any must ride trails?  Anyone live out there? What's good?

July 23, 2020, 3:03 p.m.

Congratulations. I left the lowermainland (part time) 5 years ago as I couldn't afford to live here full time. Getting out of the city is amazing for your health. Trails are closer. Pace is slower. There are stars in the sky at night.

A little while ago I was looking to explore new riding areas and asked this same question as I hadn't ridden the fraser valley much. I have copied the link below. I tried most of the suggestions and they were universally great.

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/the-shore-3/topic/good-loops-in-the-fraser-valley-131117/

A couple of stand outs were: Craw's line at Sumas was one of the most enjoyable afternoon rides you could ask for. Great easy climb. No crowds. The descent seems to go on forever.

I love the riding in Mission. Great loop is up big trouble in small chainring to barea 51 to bigguns to little death and then back up to finish down superbear.

On the other side of the road, climb valley view, redneck and come down crazy 8, hells bells red rider and momentum.

If you do ledgeview (whcih you will) you will probably just end up lost and looping around on a million trails but make sure to include flintstones.

Eagle mountain is nice and steep. I highly recommend eastbound and down followed by hammer time. Reminiscent of old school north shore.

July 23, 2020, 4:24 p.m.

Send me a pm and we can go for some rides.

July 23, 2020, 6:53 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Send me a pm and we can go for some rides.

When I read that I heard the start of the theme from Jaws playing...

July 23, 2020, 7:15 p.m.

A date?

Elevator, Deliverance and Bullet Dodger are a few of my favourites on Burke. Being in Coquitlam the Woodlot is not far.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 23, 2020, 7:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 24, 2020, 8:35 a.m.

I was in the same boat as you. I moved to Coquitlam from the Shore a few years ago for work. Was really nervous about leaving the Shore as that was home and the biking was familiar and abundant. But happy to report that the biking out here keeps getting better. You have Eagle and Burke right at your doorstep. And with less congestion, you can be at the base of either mountain in 5 to 10 minutes after work, making it easy to get out and ride. And the mountains have a smaller community feel compared to the Shore, they're much quieter and you see familiar faces out all the time.  

Eagle has seen a lot of work in the last few years. There is a small but active group of builders on Eagle who are updating the trail network. Eagle has a great climbing trail through the woods that provides access to most trails. I find Eagle isn't as challenging as Burke, but there is lots of flow and nice trails to progress on. And Bert Flinn park is at the bottom of Eagle, which has a number of hidden exciting lines and features. You just have to hunt around to find them. So you can make a nice loop out of Eagle and Bert Flinn. 

Burke has a bigger network of trails with more builders, more features, and steeper lines. There's lots of good stuff there to progress on. And the more you explore, the more you'll find. It's a bit harder to climb up, as you climb roads that are steeper, looser and depending on the time of day, can be full sun. But if you're looking to scare yourself and push your limits, you can find stuff on Burke to do that.

Take a look at trailforks, as it's a great resource for figuring out the network and is up to date with descriptions and conditions. I find the mountains out here have enough variety and challenging lines and features, that I'm not going back to the Shore as much as I thought I'd be. Have fun and if you're looking for a guide, I'd be happy to show you around.

July 24, 2020, 1:47 p.m.

Great suggestions, thanks so much.

Anyone been out to any of the small skills parks out there like Mundy or Pipeline? Mostly just super old pics on google and I'm hoping to take our toddler there to get him on some berms and rollers :D

July 24, 2020, 3:55 p.m.

Invergarry bike park in surrey isn't too too far from coquitlam and there's a pump track and green trail for the little ones.

July 24, 2020, 4:24 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Great suggestions, thanks so much.

Anyone been out to any of the small skills parks out there like Mundy or Pipeline? Mostly just super old pics on google and I'm hoping to take our toddler there to get him on some berms and rollers :D

Maple Ridge just put in a little park just off the Haney bypass. Little play ground, and looks to be a pretty run bike friendly pump track. Not sure that it’s open yet but looks good.

July 28, 2020, 9:21 a.m.

Burke is one of my favourites. Park on the road near the gun club then pedal up the road to Triple Crown > Six > Big Boy Time > Dawg (or Green Bastard, recently completed) > Hustler.

Just watch out that the upper trails are a bit soft and shouldn't be ridden when they're really wet.

Last edited by: craw on July 28, 2020, 9:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.