Trainers - rollers or trainer?

Dec. 26, 2007, 6:17 p.m.

So my wife and I are going to get something for indoor training but I am looking for input. There are a variety of types of trainers and of course there is rollers. I would love to hear what anyone has to say on the topic.

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

Dec. 26, 2007, 10:54 p.m.

rollers are really scary at first… would recomend them though, because they help with you balance a bit

Dec. 27, 2007, 5:48 a.m.

I've had both, and would say that it depends on what type of riding you do the most.

If you both are roadies who crave the smooth spin, go for the rollers, if you are mountain bikers who tend to mash the pedals and just need a workout, buy a trainer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dec. 27, 2007, 10:20 a.m.

Rollers for balance and smooth pedal stroke.

Trainer for resistance and workouts.

Having both is ideal, but if you're intending to get a workout, get the trainer (and a TV/VCR/DVD, and a box fan, and lots of towels).

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 27, 2007, 11:02 a.m.

elbow pads are your best friend on rollers…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 27, 2007, 11:33 a.m.

I had a trainer and it sucks, I prefer going outside rain or shine or snow! But if I had to do it again I'd go roller.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Dec. 27, 2007, 12:04 p.m.

Rollers terrify me… I'm all about the trainers, less to think about. You can just put your head down and pedal…

*FLY TRINITY! FLY!*

██████ L I V E S T R O N G ██████

SEVEN STRAIGHT SUCKA!

Dec. 27, 2007, 12:15 p.m.

I have rollers for you couch

Dec. 27, 2007, 12:18 p.m.

Like Nick, I too go outside in all but the most disgusting of weather…..riding familiar areas in different weather will put an entirely new spin on things (pardon the pun). I have had several "first tracks" rides in the snow and they are always a blast…..scary, but still a blast (and less scary than rollers).

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Dec. 27, 2007, 1:41 p.m.

I really like rollers but on all the ones I've tried you really have to stay focused while riding them.

From a pure fitness aspect a trainer is probably a better bet… they are generally more affordable as well.

If you are creative I have come across a few different ones rigged up to power utilities (this year at United Cycle in Edmonton they had one rigged up to power a blender for margaritas… which would be fun at parties… and yummmy) so you can power your TV or whatever you do to crank out of the mind-numbing whirrr…

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 27, 2007, 9:59 p.m.

Just so that you guys know the situation - we have a large (110") screen and home theatre. We also have 8 month old and a 3 yr old. Time is of the essence to the 2 of us and this will just allow us to get in work outs on a regular basis.

There are different types of trainers, clutch, magnetic, etc which of these are better?

Couch

PS I will try and get out to Vancouver Lee and grab it from you.

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

Dec. 28, 2007, 9:30 a.m.

Just so that you guys know the situation - we have a large (110") screen and home theatre. We also have 8 month old and a 3 yr old. Time is of the essence to the 2 of us and this will just allow us to get in work outs on a regular basis.

There are different types of trainers, clutch, magnetic, etc which of these are better?

Couch

PS I will try and get out to Vancouver Lee and grab it from you.

you dont need a trainer, you have two kids, for endurance training that's all you need!!!:lol:

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Dec. 28, 2007, 9:50 a.m.

Just an observation.

It always amazes me how cyclists who live in places with mild winters like Vancouver head indoors for winter training. I know lots of Ontario riders who would love to have Vancouver winters to ride in.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 28, 2007, 9:56 a.m.

Like Nick, I too go outside in all but the most disgusting of weather…..riding familiar areas in different weather will put an entirely new spin on things (pardon the pun). I have had several "first tracks" rides in the snow and they are always a blast…..scary, but still a blast (and less scary than rollers).

thumbs up

Myself live and ride in some of the worst winter weather. I have in 6 years only ridden a trainer 7 times.

An observation about riding in winter. People talk lots about spinning and developing good technique. Best time to work on that isn't the trainer. Go out in the snow and work on it. Unlike a trainer you get a good lesson on technique. If you can't spin properly on a snow covered road you pretty much go nowhere in a hurray. One learns that strength type pedalling causes the tires to spin.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 28, 2007, 10:26 a.m.

My vote would be to get the free rollers from leelau, and pick up a cheap magnetic windtrainer as well (I think MEC sells them for a good price). I'm sure the fluid windtrainers are quieter but they are higher priced and I have heard they don't last as long. The windtrainer seems to be to be safer compared to the rollers if you have the kids around you at any time.

I hear what the others are saying about the benefits of going riding no-matter the conditions, but with a young family you have other things going on as well. The rollers/wind trainers allow you to get in some exercise after the wee ones have gone to bed.

The problem I found with the indoor training though is that it can get boring very quickly! I have only been using the windtrainer for a month, but to keep things interesting I bought a playstation2 so I could spin in front of the TV and play games like offroad fury and downhill domination. As an added bonus the kids enjoyed watching and attempting to play the games as well.

Another interesting option that I recently saw at the LBS was the indoor spin training DVD's. The DVD's lead you on a ride through different road oriented terrain, and coaches talk you through intervals to make the workout more intense and efficient.

Sorry for the long post but it's something I had been recently putting a lot of thought into.