Trails in/around Vancouver

Jan. 25, 2009, 9:08 p.m.

Hey all,

Some may remembe that I am in Vancouver for a year. I leave on West 29 and Dunbar. I've just bought a car and am looking to finally get some MTBing done. Where are the best trails to get started on around here/ within an easy drive of my place.

Also, I'd love to meet some of he local crew, perhaps over a quiet ale at the local pub.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Meet my NEW ride: 2009 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Jan. 25, 2009, 9:13 p.m.

well the only thing around here that is totally rideable right now is Burnaby Mountain (SFU). It's about 30 mins from dunbar, or bout 40 mins by skytrain.

:google: live by it

Jan. 25, 2009, 10:42 p.m.

You could warm up at Pacific Spirit Park out at UBC (University of British Columbia). Crosscountry type riding but very close to your pad, say 10 min's tops, maybe only 5 min's….what am I thinking…no car needed, ride your bike:)

Jan. 25, 2009, 11:40 p.m.

29th and Dunbar? Yeah, that isn't even 5 minutes by bike from your place… Go out your front door and head west! Not the most amazing trails by far, but might as well get warmed up there while the Shore is covered in snow. I haven't been riding for a bit, but if uni ever eases up I'd be happy to go for a ride with you as I live nearby.

As for what trails are actually good to ride… I mix my routes up, and some trails are fun for pinning down with a few tight twists and turns… best at speed, but you should be very vigilant for walkers, dog walkers, and joggers. Please slow down when you pass them, a lot of them are already wary of bikers as it is. We don't want to get shut out of more trails! I'd also have to recommend heading down to the beach via the trails, its a little grunt getting back up from the beach, but it is well worth it and adds some half descent descending to the ride. Pioneer is a decent one… as is Spanish or Salish.. whichever one is to the east of it. Pioneer has some rooty bits and is good fun, whereas the other is smoother and more just speed with some swooping turns… have fun!

22 Pride

Jan. 25, 2009, 11:49 p.m.

Hi check out NSride.com. We have a few of your people as members.

Master of Puppets

Jan. 27, 2009, 10:46 a.m.

well the only thing around here that is totally rideable right now is Burnaby Mountain (SFU). It's about 30 mins from dunbar, or bout 40 mins by skytrain.

come to burnaby mountain, i'll give you a tour or the trails

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Jan. 27, 2009, 11:28 a.m.

Welcome to our first real winter in 44 years, most of the freeride trails are under snow, My buddy and i went out to the delta watershed last thursday it was mostly dry. It was my first time there mostly xc, we did find a sweet hip jump line. i didn't get the name of the trail we just rode around for two hours taking many turns of the main trail onto some nice single track. Nothing like the shore but our trails wont be clear of snow for at least a few weeks and riding dirt was a pleasure.
If you want a tour of the shore when our trails clear up drop me a pm.

Jan. 27, 2009, 12:29 p.m.

Cheers everyone, I know UBC Pacific Spirit Regional Park very well (from last time I was in Canada)

It appears Burnaby (SFU) is only about 22km away by road, so I'll try head out there if somebody can give me more specific info on where to park.

Could somebody give me an idea where this "Delta Watershed" in relation to Dunbar/ W 29 it would be much appreciated. (I think its Due South)

Once again cheers for the advice

Meet my NEW ride: 2009 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Jan. 27, 2009, 5:47 p.m.

For Burnaby Mountain, park on Gaglardi on the right side of the road about 1/4 of the way up the hill. Ride up Gaglardi from there. Probably Nicole's Trail would be the best right now; the others still have snow probably.

Jan. 27, 2009, 5:56 p.m.

For Bby mtn info check out this map
http://www.bmba.ca/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem[HTML_REMOVED]g2_itemId=819

Most trails are on the east side, but there is a new 'skills park' on the north end near burrard inlet. Of course it's covered in snow right now. A good loop I often do is to park on north road, ride north on the north road trail, continue north on dead moped, east up cardiac to mel's, south on mel's to nicoles, down nicoles to the gas line, back up the gas line to vehicle or another lap. Trail marking is very good on bby mtn thanks in large part to bmba.ca . If you need more directions drop me a pm, I live close and good always be tour guide.
Cheers, Daryl

Jan. 27, 2009, 6:08 p.m.

Could somebody give me an idea where this "Delta Watershed" in relation to Dunbar/ W 29 it would be much appreciated. (I think its Due South)

Once again cheers for the advice

probably not close enough for it to be worth it, but…

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Scott+Road,+Delta,+British+Columbia,+Canada+(Watershed+Park)[HTML_REMOVED]geocode=CYZ7u8MUzhwfFWxY7QIdTNes-CFGbcUmVb36fg[HTML_REMOVED]dirflg=[HTML_REMOVED]saddr=Dunbar+and+W+29th+Vancouver[HTML_REMOVED]f=d[HTML_REMOVED]dq=watershed+loc:+delta[HTML_REMOVED]sll=49.312922,-123.132531[HTML_REMOVED]sspn=1.087349,0.903353[HTML_REMOVED]cid=49109100,-122890420,9149833766376926534[HTML_REMOVED]ie=UTF8[HTML_REMOVED]z=11

It's basically a nice XC park with a few jump/stunt lines thrown in. watch for horse and dog shit.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 28, 2009, 5:47 p.m.

go talk to the guys at dunbar cycles, they will get you going and probably find someone to show you around. its super close at 26th and Dunbar.

Ben