Trails at the Woodlot in Maple Ridge

Sept. 29, 2004, 3:26 p.m.

All of the mountain bike trails at the Woodlot are maintained by a dedicated group of volunteers. We take time from our busy work schedules, our families, and any riding we might do to build and maintain trails like Blood Donor, Giant Killer, Platinum, Hoots, and many more. These trails have been featured in a tonne of videos and tv shows and we've never asked for (or expected) anything more than a 'Thanks for building a great place to ride'.

Over the years, we've cultivated a pretty good working relationship with the land managers and we continue to discuss relevant issues as they arise with these people. While there's currently an understanding that no new trails will be put in at the Woodlot, we've never been told to shut down the existing trail network.

Many of you read my post from yesterday, you'll know that I was pretty pissed off when someone attempted to open a trail that was obviously closed (ie. there were signs all over the place, debris dragged all over the trail, and there had been no work done to the trail in ages).

To get to the point of this post: Today I was riding down 'Hoots' with another one of the builders and we came across a bunch of new soilwork that was not done by us or any of the other guys. To be blunt, the work and the cleanup was shitty; whoever did this stuff dug holes right beside the trail without covering them up when they were finished and, among other things, tried to add something that would get ripped to shreds by a weekend worth of riding. After seeing that, we interrupted our ride, got off our bikes, and returned the trail to the condition that it was in before this 'work' was done (read: we tore everything out and did the work properly).

Now, I realize some of you might think I'm being a bitch but know that all of the builders up here don't do trailwork for selfish reasons - we don't build stuff that nobody but us can ride. In fact, we're stoked when people ride the trails and respect the work that we've done. But when I come through a section of trail and the inside of a berm is all chewed to shit by some chump looking for soil or a drainage element filled in with punk or crappy dirt I get pissed. To fix this garbage takes time away from work on other trails and working on lines that are faster and more challenging than those they replace.

During all of the time that I've posted on NSMB.com I've never hidden the fact that I'm a contact person for the guys who work on the trails at the Woodlot. If you have an issue with the way we work on the trails we created, contact me and we'll explain our position in no uncertain terms.

If you really want to help on or are concerned about the condition of the trails up there, contact me at [email protected] and we'll give you a call when we have a trail day.

If you did the work and are thinking about continuing, ask yourself this: Is the mountain biking community around here better off with trails like Platinum, Blood Donor, and Giant Killer? Or without them? Will people think you're a hero if all the trails up there go to shit and there's no one left to do the tonne of work that goes on there almost every week?

"It's, like, so much fun."

Sept. 29, 2004, 3:36 p.m.

there's probably a lot of people that ride up there that aren't on the board - is there some sort of signage at the bottom asking people not to work on the trails without prior authorization? might be an idea

i LOVE woodlot, definitely my fave place to ride - i think the only trail i haven't ridden yet is toadstool. major props to all the builders! great work:clap:

i'd be definitely into working a few hours on a trail if there's a trail day - i noticed broken rungs on ladders on both carpenter and gold. i don't have a lot of free time though unfortunately

Sept. 29, 2004, 3:43 p.m.

Cory: Monday, on my way up to Snakes, I was hiking up Shotgun. We all know the road that cuts right across. Well the old logride that if ridden dumps you quite dangerously in the ditch had all the debris removed. It was now "rideable". WTF is some one thinking doing that? A header into that ditch would be disaster. I took it upon myself to throw a bunch of debris back on it and also wrapped some of that caution tape around it. Hopefully the message will be understood.
P.S. Cory! How can I get in contact with Rich?? PM me.

wheel reflectors are gay.

Sept. 29, 2004, 4:01 p.m.

Good post, well articulated and very valid points.

I am gonna stick this one, I hope the people see this and can work with you.

Oct. 1, 2004, 1 a.m.

Very well put indeed:)

My tip will go along the same line as LadyG's. The coverage and influence this forum has is very limited in the "real world"…..(within this forum though….perhaps adding some contact info or whatever you like to your profile/signature info would help your exposure?…I've been on here almost daily for 3yrs and I have no idea who "robot" is…never heard of ya, at least, not that I recall….but your average of 4-6 posts a mth doesn't get you "seen" much on here I imagine)
So ya….I'm one of the VERY FEW workers up here in my area and can well imagine what you are talking about. But I'd bet public signage ON SITE is the way to go. In addition to posting here:D

Oct. 1, 2004, 9:03 a.m.

Thanks Loopie. I understand fully that this forum isn't visited regularly by a lot of people. However, I'm sure there are a large number of 'lurkers' who never post but read regularly. And those who do read regularly and ride at the Woodlot likely had a look at this post (ie. however many views this thread has received is a good indicator of this).

As for signage on site, we do post it (in accordance with the wishes of the land managers) and, as you can imagine, we've had a bunch of the signs ripped down, vandalized, etc. etc.

As for me not posting very much, I just don't have the time. That being said, if someone were to do a search for 'Woodlot' on the forums, my 'tag' would show up in almost every one for the past couple of years…

Oct. 1, 2004, 5:44 p.m.

no matter where you go, there are always people who see a stunt, or rokwork dirtwork etc and say pfffffffffffffft i can do that, its easy to build, and their building reflects it. its sad, but true

yeah bro!!

Oct. 4, 2004, 11:29 p.m.

Cory.
Im pretty sure you the same cory i rode with this past weekend.
Thank you.
And Your work up there has been amazing. You truly opened my eyes.

People need to respect the work that those who build there do. Dont fix whats not broke.

Fear me. I have a Cabin in montana.
::Team Pancake Pride::

Oct. 7, 2004, 6:01 p.m.

To all the other Woodlot riders who undoubtedly lurk on this forum: if you ever see people doing ridiculous things to the trails, like piling cedar slabs around the skinny line on Woodlot Gold so they can ride those instead of the intended route, please tell them to stop.

Let them know, in no uncertain terms, that the people who built the trails up there still maintain them. If they're not keen on that message, let them know that what takes them an hour or 45 minutes to throw together takes less than 5 minutes to dismantle and return to its original state.

We will dismantle any work that is ghetto, unsafe, or goes against the standards against which we measure our work.

Oct. 7, 2004, 10:30 p.m.

all the woodlot builders are so rad, thanks so much for all the hardwork…u guys are always working ur asses off, i talked to an older guy with a norco shore and he was super cool, thanks alot

NEW MANITOU STANCE STATIC!
http://www.nsmb.com/buy_sell/show.php?ad_id=122578&category;=forks_less

Oct. 9, 2004, 12:50 p.m.

Respect the trail builders! (and the trail)

I have ridden Woodlot only a few times but for sure the tons of work there are appreciated. thanks man.

I remember just a few weeks back synchro asking about a trail in cypress if he can do some work on it. this is definitely what should be done. ask first!

:high: :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: :high:

Aug. 21, 2015, 9:54 a.m.

There used to be a laminated sign asking people to contact the builders if they have any concerns about the trails.
A trail is a form of art sculpture built with passion. Nothing worse than some one you don't know messing with your vision of the perfect trail.
Unfortunately you are on public land so people can do what ever they want. Communication is the best you can hope for.

As for deactivating stunts by putting debris over the apparent dangerous area. One mans danger is another man thrill, what is impossible to you is doable by people with greater talent.
I am opposed to people shutting down stunts because they think it is unsafe. Like the rock face on Dales.
My suggestion. Put up laminated signs with a contact number so they can discuss issue's with you first.
Keep in mind if they were moving dirt they had good intentions.
I have had my trails modified. pisses me off but im building on public land.
BTW did you build the structures on Mandatory caution? That trail rocks!

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Aug. 21, 2015, 6:36 p.m.

You realize this thread is 11 years old…right?

Aug. 21, 2015, 6:40 p.m.

:lol:

Aug. 22, 2015, 12:08 p.m.

You realize this thread is 11 years old…right?

It was cool to get some more thoughts and theories from Einstein though.

diggin