trailforks

Feb. 3, 2013, 3:11 p.m.

Love Trailforks!

Been using it as another resource to let riders know whats up with the maintenance going on.

Also its good for getting info like "blow down just after the teeter" so I know where I need to be getting to first when up building.

Honestly what the heck will the guys who want to hide the loam going to do when someone from Google "trails" dawns one of them fancy 360 degree head cams and maps out every trail both known and "dark side" stuff.

Its coming for sure.

good luck with that once it does happen.

Feb. 3, 2013, 3:14 p.m.

i think it,s a great site , has been helpful to me after being away from the sport for 10+yrs

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 3, 2013, 4:46 p.m.

There will aways be growing pains with anything new. Be thankful we is even willing to work with trail groups and builders. He has every right to post up any GPS data he wants. I like the site and I hope it keeps going.

He is not the only site out there. This site has some Cypress and Fromme on it.

http://www.bikepirate.com

Look mtbr.com has trail info,

http://trails.mtbr.com/

Shall we start a online hate campaign?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 3, 2013, 7:56 p.m.

Look mtbr.com has trail info,

http://trails.mtbr.com/

Shall we start a online hate campaign?

Thats it killem all!!!!!!!!!

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Feb. 3, 2013, 9:38 p.m.

People will do what they feel is right, but I respect nsmb for not publishing directions to the trails because I think that there are good reasons for this policy. First because it's not in the interest of our sport to go building or publicizing illegal lines. Second because once these trails get publicized they get heavily ridden and erode quickly. This makes us look bad; the TAP program can only maintain a certain number of trails. Third, it takes the fun out of finding trails yourself and encourages people to get involved with the sport and the maintenance side of things.

And I don't believe that someone's actions can be justified simply because others do the same thing. You either believe that what they're doing is right for or you don't. I'm happy to hear that the Trailforks guy is responding to people's concerns, though I'm disappointed to hear that he's been plagiarizing content from other sites.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Feb. 3, 2013, 10:07 p.m.

I think Trailforks has been doing a great job, it's gotta be hard trying to stay on top of what is legal and not legal for all the trails listed on his site. Is it perfect, no…but I commend him for trying to do the best he can and helping more people find more better places to ride. Getting people on the trails is what this is all about right?

Never been a fan of the secret trail society and am a firm believer that if you want a trail to be really private then build it on private land. Trails are meant to be ridden.

Feb. 3, 2013, 10:24 p.m.

Honestly what the heck will the guys who want to hide the loam going to do when someone from Google "trails" dawns one of them fancy 360 degree head cams and maps out every trail both known and "dark side" stuff.

Its coming for sure.

good luck with that once it does happen.

Google has already started with famous hiking trails, they shot the Bright Angel trail in the Grand Canyon back in October.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=36.065096,-112.137107[HTML_REMOVED]spn=0.285295,0.528374[HTML_REMOVED]cbp=12,41.91,,0,9.06[HTML_REMOVED]layer=c[HTML_REMOVED]panoid=Fa-wHCWazJG6bn7ZjISQCA[HTML_REMOVED]t=m[HTML_REMOVED]z=12[HTML_REMOVED]cbll=36.065096,-112.137107

It does make you wonder when they'll start on famous bike trails…

Feb. 3, 2013, 10:35 p.m.

Stay on point people…

This site has appeared to have ripped off Kelowna maps, sunshine coast maps, nelson maps/trail descriptions.
Here in Kelowna we made our data free for this very purpose….it avoids trail drama so I don't care about that.

Nelson however relays on the sale of their $15 map book to fund trail projects. Go have a look, he's posted GPS tracks for a third of the riding that's listed in their $15 map book and he's cut and pasted word for word trail descriptions straight out of the map book.
How does this help the NCC?

Next time take a photo example from the map book, do a review on it and list where it's available for purchase…this would have been doing the club justice.

Think about it this way. A book is only bought at a local bike shop when the person is already there. If you don't know there are sweet trails there or what to expect, some people simply don't go. So, Trailforks is making that "tourist" planning tangible. Now, someone sees a cool zone in an area to ride and decides to pack up the truck and some bros and go there for a bike vacation. They buy some food, motel rooms, stuff from the local shops, etc. have the time of their freakin' lives and vow to go back to ride there again. That is feeding the mountain bike community. Think a little bigger. We remain secret and for the few, districts see no "legitimate" user base and shut things down. In numbers, we are strong.

Now, someone has dedicated their PERSONAL time (i.e. he did not get paid to do this for YOU), consulted with way more "expert" level riders and builders than most of you in the different areas about how to present the data on the site, spends the time to collect and FREELY distribute the data and all you guys have to do is bitch. FFS, show some gratitude when something good is done by one of your own. There may be mistakes, but those can be corrected. Canadaka has shown the same entrepreneurial spirit as the builder who spends their OWN time to hike up a mountain to build a trail. Would you rightly crucify someone publicly on the internet for providing you the sweet trails to ride? No, because you ride them and because you ride them, you're here on this site. So give a brother a break. This was highly inappropriate. If anything, some of you including the moderators can treat each other with a little more respect.

EDIT: here's a thought for the plagiarism. It sucks when someone steals a concept and claims it as their own. But when information, such as a description, that is already disseminated on the internet or is in the public knowledge in one area is copied and passed on, that's called sharing. Do you guys use wikipedia? I'm sure you do, trust me, they didn't come up with all of those ideas on their own :) Here's another thing to think about. Not too long ago, there was no concept of copyright, I read an interesting discussion about Christmas Carols as we know them. For most carols, there is not a score of original music. Most of the Christmas Carols we know today are ripped off of existing operas, symphonies, etc. composed by other people. But we as people wanted to share an idea through music, so we slapped some words onto a song and whammo, it becomes a rad way to share information. Copyrights became a fact when we started making money off of intellectual property. I think in this instance, the plagiarism in question is doing more good than harm. An accurate description is a good one, because then people go there to ride the trails. That's the point. Don't go hyperbolizing this argument into the ridiculous, I'm not saying taking ideas is correct.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Feb. 3, 2013, 10:58 p.m.

Stay on point people…

This site has appeared to have ripped off Kelowna maps, sunshine coast maps, nelson maps/trail descriptions.
Here in Kelowna we made our data free for this very purpose….it avoids trail drama so I don't care about that.

Nelson however relays on the sale of their $15 map book to fund trail projects. Go have a look, he's posted GPS tracks for a third of the riding that's listed in their $15 map book and he's cut and pasted word for word trail descriptions straight out of the map book.
How does this help the NCC?

Next time take a photo example from the map book, do a review on it and list where it's available for purchase…this would have been doing the club justice.

If people want a map, I still think they will buy one. I've bought the Locals Guide and a Squampton map in recent years. And if people are given an avenue to donate a small amount of cash to help with the upkeep of trails in an area that they don't ride in too often then they'll probably do that too. I haven't bought a SORCA 'trail pass' for the last two years just for the stickers. Going slightly off-topic, but I'm not a member of the NSMBA because it's a significant chunk of cash which I never have when I think about joining, but I try and get out to a trail day every year and always stop and help people who are building when I am riding. I don't see how Trailforks stops any of that shit from happening.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 3, 2013, 11:02 p.m.

Someone get dkl a beer.

Feb. 4, 2013, 12:22 a.m.

Wow I'm up at Big White skiing this weekend so that's why are i haven't responded all weekend.

I fully acknowledge some mistakes have been made which I've learnt from. Sharon [HTML_REMOVED] Mark have been very helpful in helping me navigate the political waters.

In the opening months of the site I was adding a bunch of photos to get the ball rolling. I was contacting the owners on flicker but got a bit sloppy and missed a few. I apologise for this. Since then I've talked with the photo owners and credit links were added or photos removed. With regard to the trail descriptions, you might see some that look familiar like a lot of the north shore ones. They are from Sharon [HTML_REMOVED] Wades excellent book with permission. All the trail pages that are in their book have there book promoted on them. With text in general anyone can submit additions or updates and its harder for me or other mods to check if its original. I could add some text with link below descriptions where ppl can credit a source. Same with links to old map images or PDFs, I will add a credit/source text beside them.

I certainly don't mind some healthy criticism, I'm committed to making the site better. And even though in other areas like government I'm a big believer in open data, from day one with Trailforks I've wanted to respect the wishes of local assotiations and builders.

I take objection to someone saying I don't care about riding sensitive trails in the rain. I don't actually even ride in the rain that much and when I do I am mindful of this. Its something that riding with NSRIDE for many years has taught me. On Trailforks I use the same wet weather data for trails as the north shore guide book. I plan to make this wet weather info more prominent on the next version of the site.

With regards to books and physical maps I think @dkl is correct. I own a whole pile of books and maps, I always buy them when I GOTO a new area. But you hafta know of the area and its potential first. Many of these maps aren't even sold online. This was another goal of Trailforks, to promote these products. I list them all in the store and on the riding area pages they cover, for free.

Time for sleep, hoping for some fresh power tomorrow! :)

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

Feb. 4, 2013, 5:54 a.m.

Keep at it Canadaka

Trails for all, Trails forever

Feb. 4, 2013, 1:54 p.m.

This secret bullshit is lame

Disagree. Its not lame, its a courtesy shown to a builders for their hard work. All trails get outed and become public eventually but its not unreasonable to let the builders get some rides in before the masses descend.

Don't build on the shore, problem solved.

Agree 100%. And most experienced builders have already figured this out and either given up or moved on.

All this secret shit stems from the simple fact that 95% of the riders out there don't lift a finger to help with maintenance. If everyone put a little back, trails would all be in great shape and there would be no need/desire to keep things secret. I mean we're sitting here dissing builders and dissing mapmakers, who generally have good intentions, when its the 95% that are the real problem, taking plenty and not giving anything back.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 4, 2013, 2:35 p.m.

Usually when I see a corpse on the trail I bunny hop over it and move on. But now…I feel guilty. :( Next time I'll drag it off the trail so it won't obstruct our precious loam. That better ya bunch of f*[HTML_REMOVED]%ing hippies?

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 5, 2013, 8:18 a.m.

Disagree. Its not lame, its a courtesy shown to a builders for their hard work. All trails get outed and become public eventually but its not unreasonable to let the builders get some rides in before the masses descend.

All this secret shit stems from the simple fact that 95% of the riders out there don't lift a finger to help with maintenance. If everyone put a little back, trails would all be in great shape and there would be no need/desire to keep things secret. I mean we're sitting here dissing builders and dissing mapmakers, who generally have good intentions, when its the 95% that are the real problem, taking plenty and not giving anything back.

end of thread right here.

pretty easy to tell who has built trail in here, and who has even a tiny clue of the effort that it takes to build a trail. if you did, you would not have an issue with people trying to keep things off the internet for a year or two.