Trail use etiquette

May 8, 2019, 12:27 p.m.

Buy the hub with the loudest freewheel. They can hear you for miles.

A friend was bluff charged by a grizzly near the El Dorado cabin. He thought he was dead meat, all he could do was hold his bike up as a shield,  luckily bear decided to let him live.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on May 8, 2019, 12:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2019, 4:07 p.m.

Check out a/the bear grenade - super high pitched noise like a rape alarm - hanging from your pack - just pull on the tab. Easy to use and super duper loud. On the idea that the bear won't be used to high pitched noise. I carry it in the chilcotins, though my wife bought it after getting bluff charged by a bear around Bunzten Lake locally.

Bear spray - no good if the wind is wrong, or it's not rapidly accessible.

Bear bangers - easy to shoot behind the bear, can't be carried "loaded", take too long to get into action.

I'm carrying more on the trails these days. Even TP like Mics suggested after an unpleasant experience in Squamish. Which seems funny, as my bike is more resilient and less prone to mechanicals than ever before.

Which reminds me - I need to pick up a couple of quick links.

Any randoms on the trail I'll loan you my pump if yours is shit, or an allen key if you need one, but you're walking out if you didn't bring a tube.

Last edited by: nouseforaname on May 10, 2019, 4:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2019, 4:30 p.m.

Pedestrians shall have the right of way, up hill or down. 

I trail run and mountain bike on Bby mountain and have never had a problem. The signs at the trail heads are confusing because they warn hikers to be careful but on their website state that pedestrians have the right of way, always.

May 10, 2019, 10:59 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

Check out a/the bear grenade - super high pitched noise like a rape alarm - hanging from your pack - just pull on the tab. Easy to use and super duper loud. On the idea that the bear won't be used to high pitched noise. I carry it in the chilcotins, though my wife bought it after getting bluff charged by a bear around Bunzten Lake locally.

Bear bangers - easy to shoot behind the bear, can't be carried "loaded", take too long to get into action.

I'm carrying more on the trails these days. Even TP like Mics suggested after an unpleasant experience in Squamish. Which seems funny, as my bike is more resilient and less prone to mechanicals than ever before.

Any randoms on the trail I'll loan you my pump if yours is shit, or an allen key if you need one, but you're walking out if you didn't bring a tube.

Will have a look. Thx for the heads-up

May 16, 2019, 8:54 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Anyone carry Bear spray?

Biked in Nelson for two years saw one bear. I see them all the time in squamish and had a cougar chase my wife on credit line. Don't think your location of your wilderness will protect you.

May 17, 2019, 5:32 p.m.

Is this the story of your wifes encounter?

https://squamish.ca/yourgovernment/news/cougar-credit-line-trail/

June 20, 2019, 10:07 p.m.

The quick link in my chain came apart tonight, probably due to opening/closing it too many times for cleaning.  Had a spare one in my pack and was riding again in minutes once I determined that my rear derailleur hadn't been destroyed by the chain getting all wrapped up in it.

June 21, 2019, 8:07 a.m.

The type I used when I worked in the bush were carried loaded but not cocked. In the pocket of my cruiser vest so it was rapidly deployable. The trick is to launch it up and not at the bear as you are correct, it’s easy to have it blow behind the bear. Never had to use it though. None of the deterrents work if you don’t see the bear early. Being noisy is always good.

June 23, 2019, 11:41 a.m.

Have you tried/tested  the bear greanade? How loud is it?

I was out for a ride near function couple days ago and got uncomfortably close to a big black bear in a tight spot on biz time. All was well had the spray out but he backed away as I backed away. Are you sure the wind would affect the spray? I had never tested the can I had on me so later decided to give it a test. The spray comes out like a rocket, a wall of chemical. Think it would have to be pretty windy to be ineffective. So far have never had to to use it. Nice to keep it that way.