Trail Styles - North Shore vs. Fraser Valley

June 28, 2017, 2:43 p.m.

Recently rode Burke mountain and was amazed at how fun the trails were that I rode. Tons of small/medium sized jumps and drops that all flows really nicely - 3 trails that stood out were Ridden Art, Recycled, & Braap. After riding them it go me thinking - why don't we have more trails of this style on the North Shore? Is it because Burke is sort of unregulated and can building whatever they want whereas on the North Shore it is heavily regulated and they discourage building jumps and little features due to liability issues?

June 29, 2017, 11:37 a.m.

Haven't ridden Burke yet, but is there a map available at bike stores or something? Trail signage? I know it's not on Trailforks until they get an agreement with BC Parks.

Similar vibe to trails at Vedder, Eagle and Sumas to some degree. I'm guessing it's just the history of the trail networks and builders. Maybe the terrain as well?

June 29, 2017, 11:59 a.m.

There are jumps/drops on the north shore but just not on a trail that has them continuously all the way down. The closest I can think that ticks that box is Boogie Nights, but these jumps/drops are a step up from the ones you mention on Burke. 

I did ride lower expression last night for the first time and was surprised by some of the jump options on that trail.

June 29, 2017, 4:28 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Haven't ridden Burke yet, but is there a map available at bike stores or something? Trail signage? I know it's not on Trailforks until they get an agreement with BC Parks.

Similar vibe to trails at Vedder, Eagle and Sumas to some degree. I'm guessing it's just the history of the trail networks and builders. Maybe the terrain as well?

Sent you a PM.

June 29, 2017, 4:32 p.m.

Yeah the trails on the Shore that are along this style that come to mind are Lower Expresso, Boogie Nights, and Floppy Bunny, but I can't think of much else that would fall into this category, aside from bigger stuff on Cypress like Roach Hit for example. Am I missing anything here? Seems like the "jumps per capita" on the Shore is much lower than other riding areas in the region (both Fraser Valley and also Squamish).

June 30, 2017, 3:30 p.m.

The pump-track style section of lower Incline on Seymour has a few jumps and doubles but it is pretty short. Pingu has a couple as well I guess but yeah not a continuous jump line by any means.

Thanks for the PM.