Trail signage on sanctioned trails

Nov. 22, 2020, 8:16 p.m.

Severed was originally a hiking trail, and is presently designated multi-use. It's on land owned by CMHC and managed by Rec Sites & Trails BC. It should stay multi-use, it's not a DH race course. Ride it expecting to see foot traffic and be able to stop or slow down when you do.

John Deer has same land owner/manager as Severed. It's pretty popular with trail runners (usually solo or very small groups). As one of the builders/maintainers on it, I do not support making it bike only. I do support having signs at the bottom that say something to the effect of "Warning: High Speed Bike Traffic. Foot Traffic recommended to take alternate trail" I've made this recommendation to NSMBA several times. This type of messaging provides education, and experienced hikers/runners who know the trail can still enjoy it; while others less experienced or in larger groups may choose a different option, helping to keep the trails safe and fun for all.

I'm not a fan of taking away trail access from other groups. There's a difference between a pair of trail runners or a hiker that is paying attention to the trail and steps aside to let bike traffic go by versus a large group with dogs, children, etc. or someone on foot with earphones in that isn't paying attention. But regardless, we share the trails will all other user groups. Horses are permitted on Bridle Path. As Heckler & Sanchez have said, pay attention & ride with care. Anytime we are on our bikes, we are ambassadors for our sport. How other users perceive us also influences our future trail access.

Other land managers for the trails you mentioned...

- Corkscrew - Metro Vancouver

- Pingu / Boogieman / Boogie Nights - DNV

Nov. 23, 2020, 9:32 a.m.

Posted by: mudhoney

Severed was originally a hiking trail, and is presently designated multi-use. It's on land owned by CMHC and managed by Rec Sites & Trails BC. It should stay multi-use, it's not a DH race course. Ride it expecting to see foot traffic and be able to stop or slow down when you do.

I’m not sure Severed was initially a hiking trail. I first rode the line in 1987 and was steep then and not really what I would have seen as a good hiking line. Particularly when there is a hiking trail not too far off that. Good Samaritan? I could be wrong but it was my impression that the Cove gang put the line in. But you’re absolutely right. Not a DH race, expect others or a tree down and don’t ride faster than you can see.

Nov. 23, 2020, 12:40 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I’m not sure Severed was initially a hiking trail. I first rode the line in 1987 and was steep then and not really what I would have seen as a good hiking line. Particularly when there is a hiking trail not too far off that. Good Samaritan? I could be wrong but it was my impression that the Cove gang put the line in. But you’re absolutely right. Not a DH race, expect others or a tree down and don’t ride faster than you can see.

Yes they did put it in. The memories of my hands cramping up using the dia-compe cantilever brakes with a stupidly long stem rigid bike going down that trail.... How far we have come from that.

Nov. 23, 2020, 3:29 p.m.

"Severed was originally a hiking trail, and is presently designated multi-use. It's on land owned by CMHC and managed by Rec Sites & Trails BC. It should stay multi-use, it's not a DH race course. Ride it expecting to see foot traffic and be able to stop or slow down when you do."

This should apply to any trail built on public land, especially in busy areas like the north shore. My friend almost got run down by a bro racing down lower mushroom just above the power lines. Bro had to put his bike in the ditch to avoid piling into her, then couldn't understand why she was upset with him. What an a$$hat!

Nov. 24, 2020, 4:42 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Even with a bike, many people hiked it in the early 80's...mostly the notorious left turn.