trail recommendation around Whistler?

Aug. 10, 2009, 8:31 p.m.

I'd like to come this coming weekend to Whistler, one day for watching Crankworks, the other to ride myself. Due to the races, the bike park is out of the question. I have a map with trails marked, but I can't decide. I'm looking for a trail similar in difficulty to the lower oil can, maybe pipeline. any advice?

Aug. 10, 2009, 10:49 p.m.

Here are a few suggestions to start you off, the non-bike park trails are different from the bike park and the shore and are a lot of fun. Most trails are more technical XC than downhill trails so be prepared to climb up.

• Lost lake trails, this is about a 1 - 2 hour ride depending on your skills, more XC ish. Take the single track with Frank Zappa song names out and back.
  • River runs through it (do all the sections including the Barts Dark section). Kind of XC with optional stunts here and there.
  • Ride up stone bridge (there is a double track short cut) and then down Danimal North, then ride back up Stonebridge and ride Beaver Pass.
  • Tack on the climb up Lower Sproat to Beaver pond onto the above to add a little work out, follow a piece of cake and another unnamed single track to make the climb more enjoyable.
  • Climb/push up the Flank trail from the Cemetery to either High society or Cheap thrills
  • Kill me thrill me is a nice technical XC trail north of Emerald estates
  • The farside/riverside trails and the ridge trail are a nice afternoon out near function junction.

There is a two books that the bike shops and grocery stores have up here which are worth looking at to get some more info on the trails.

Aug. 10, 2009, 11:26 p.m.

big thanks!

Aug. 11, 2009, 10:06 a.m.

what day you gonna be here? there are only 3 races left, the Air DH tomorrow, so only Aline is closed, then the GS is closed Friday, then the Canadain Open is closed on Sunday, most trails are good to go….

mtbskierdad

Aug. 11, 2009, 8:49 p.m.

what day you gonna be here? there are only 3 races left, the Air DH tomorrow, so only Aline is closed, then the GS is closed Friday, then the Canadain Open is closed on Sunday, most trails are good to go….

planning to ride on Sunday, but this would be my first ride in the park, and it would be hard for me to navigate around the race course. so the bike park for me some other time. I hear the trails around Whistler are awesome too.

Aug. 12, 2009, 9:48 a.m.

if its your first ride in the park, you would not be going near the race in any fashion, Crank it Up and Easy Does it are prime as well as Bline, doesn't go near any races, beleive me they do a fantastic job of making sure people can get around and enjoy all the park has to offer even with events going on….

mtbskierdad

Aug. 12, 2009, 1:06 p.m.

If you are planning to ride the XC trails outside the WBP, invest in the guidebook. I was there a few weeks ago with just the trail map from the interweb and ended up riding everything twice, once backwards, once in the correct direction.