Trail chopped down on Burke?

Oct. 17, 2004, 10:45 p.m.

Originally posted by LOBOTIDULATOR
weak. just because we build doesnt mean we run the entire mountain. we stick to our section. we dont touch west side stuff like sawblade, nescafe, vics, and we dont touch flywheel or upper galloway. i geuss going to meetings with parks and trying to get this all sorted out wouldnt run under the classification of leadership. i spoke to the guys building the garbage. i pointed out to them what they were doing wrong and how to change it. i'm not here to babysit.

Sorry! no offence meant. it sounds like you're doing all you can and more than most to sort things out. I hope it works out for you guys. Too bad the POS trail couldn't have come down earlier so that it didn't act as a lightning rod for other trails out there. I hate bickering amongst fellow riders when we should be working together.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Oct. 18, 2004, 12:16 p.m.

are they talking about making triple crown like ez does it….?
that would be lame…..:mad:

Oct. 18, 2004, 6:12 p.m.

Originally posted by Crash
are they talking about making triple crown like ez does it….?
that would be lame…..:mad:

That was never said outright, I only inferred that it would be somewhat like that. I think it would be slightly above

Oct. 19, 2004, 10:31 a.m.

id still ride there….as long as i have somewhere close to my inlaws to get away for a ride …..

Oct. 19, 2004, 10:43 a.m.

Originally posted by Rat
**Nothing like blaming the person that does more work then everyone else to trails open.

Classy **

Granted - its great that someone will devote lots of time and energy into the politics BUT using a different mountain/ trail as a bad example to prove one's point for their mountain/ trail of argument is counterproductive to the overall mountain biking scene. And the "its just a matter of time anyways" argument doesn't necessarily hold water. Yes, there had been talk of dismantling the trail but very often someone can remove liablility by at least starting to take steps (ie. posting signs that its coming down). Then one is more likely to delay or even turn a blind eye. It would be easy for the Parks to argue that they plan on getting to tearing down the trail but there are more pressing issues in their park jurisdiction and their budget does not allow it in the immediate future. BUT if someone brings the trail to their attention (MISTAKE!!!) then they would be negligent to not attend to it quicker.

Oct. 19, 2004, 12:46 p.m.

i think they had a plan to take it out last year…..

Oct. 19, 2004, 1:52 p.m.

What Sharon did was right… and also did not cause the Abyss to be torn down. The majority of "destruction" was done on Abyss… only the first item was taken out of the below-Galloway trail. Before I had seen that, I had thought that BC Parks had spent the day working below then ventured up top when they had extra time. I will not argue for a second that the Abyss was always slated for removal… but I had incorrectly thought that the sudden removal was a result of Parks inspecting the new structures.

This was a stupid mistake of mine. Why?

- Scott Back says he is attending to the park (Burke Mountain Area or Widgeon Area) once a week, but not always dealing with biking. While that raises questions on why the new stuff wasn't found earlier, it points out that Abyss could have been removed well before it was.

- Scott Back, in an email to me today, stated that "What Sharon told Rob informally had no bearing on why we went to Burke." I may have only had that confirmed now, but I did not think of how BC Parks has a tight schedule set weeks in advance. Setting a day to take down something that was only informally talked about and never seen doesn't happen overnight. If anything anyone said had an impact on this, nothing could have happened by now.

I took an email from Sharon, read between the lines (read wrong) and the misinformation caused by it has been destructive. For that, I am sorry Sharon. In my opinion, Sharon is one of the hardest working individuals behind mountain biking in the Lower Mainland, if not BC. Her work behind the scenes is rivalled only by the work we notice more by builders such as Jeremy or Mark. The fact that she provided guidance for Burke shows just how commited she is. I can think of a couple things that we take for granted up Burke that are actually accomplishments of Sharon's.

These accomplishments… keeping Abyss open for a year longer than required and co-operation from BC Parks on making Triple Crown an official trail, are a great start. Don't think of the Burke progress as a defeat, but as a triumph: Is there any other Provincial Park farther along than Burke? Mt. Seymour just provides a highway up in exchange for your parking money… yet Burke will have trails for users of which a 95% majority are mountain bikers.

Reading this thread realized just how influential a lot of riders can be. Why not work together on this front? Nowhere else does an opportunity quite like Burke exist.

For the record, this was today's email from Scott.

I want to assure both of you that we went up Burke for the sole
purpose of taking down the structures at the entrance of Abyss and above to
the power line (some were already broken). At the end of the day we hiked
around the powerline road and came across the "new trail." What Sharon told
Rob informally had no bearing on why we went to Burke. I am either at
Widgeon or Burke once a week dealing with more than just the Mountain Bike
issues. Feel free to let people know.

Thanks,
Scott