Traffic on the North Shore ...... WTF ?

Oct. 29, 2021, 10:18 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Well, im glad I work from home:

https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/heres-what-caused-yesterdays-massive-traffic-snarl-across-north-shore-4698295

Work from home high five.  Spouse works down on the waterfront and e-bike commutes, she said it wasn't just the usual few side streets plugged up, it was EVERY side street and people trying to use the alleyways.

Oct. 29, 2021, 11:34 a.m.

Posted by: craw

https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/heres-what-caused-yesterdays-massive-traffic-snarl-across-north-shore-4698295

This is a precise illustration of my fears around increasing the size and frequence of the tankers heading up Indian Arm. Or an earthquake. 

Look at the effect this tiniest issue on the bridge caused around the city. If one of these bridges were permanently disabled the whole place would grind to a halt. We desperately need a transit link that's separate from these bridges. At least in an emergency pedestrians could still get around.

"What is the Seabus, Alex?"

Oct. 29, 2021, 11:49 a.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

This is a precise illustration of my fears around increasing the size and frequence of the tankers heading up Indian Arm. Or an earthquake. 

Look at the effect this tiniest issue on the bridge caused around the city. If one of these bridges were permanently disabled the whole place would grind to a halt. We desperately need a transit link that's separate from these bridges. At least in an emergency pedestrians could still get around.

Do the use cases for the sea bus and the second narrows really overlap much, though? Sea bus more overlaps with lions gate imo. 

Something that dumps you out down town has limited utility  for most of the second narrows travellers.  Not without taking a pretty convoluted path anyways. 

These guys are more talking about something that ties phibbs exchange to the Burnaby sky trains. I don't think you can realy say the sea bus has much equivalency there...

Oct. 29, 2021, 2:42 p.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

Doesn't everyone in this city have a SUP?

The traffic jam the other day was unavoidable when you have a hole like that to fix. Not surprised about damage with the amount of heavy trucks using that bridge everyday. Every morning on way to work there is at least 1 or 2 dump trucks pulling trailers at a slow speed on the ironworkers for everyone's enjoyment. Who would ever of thought leaving the Shore in the morning and coming home in the evening would be going against the traffic? Crazy

Last edited by: bux-bux on Oct. 29, 2021, 2:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 29, 2021, 9:50 p.m.

At least in an emergency pedestrians could still get around.

My neighbour ended up just parking his car on Keith Road and walking home to Raven Woods rather than sit there for an hour, or more. Went back the next morning to get it.

Posted by: Kenny

Have noticed it getting busier turning from ellis onto dollarton in the mornings and that whole stretch of dollarton to the bridge.

Certainly seems people from blue ridge and deep cove are avoiding the Keith overpass and cutting down to dollarton. Definitely hope that does not become a trend. Dollarton westbound will become the new main street eastbound. That area is not designed for high traffic volumes, at all.

Turning left onto Dollarton from Ellis at any time of day is becoming a major PITA.

I went out at noon to run some errands and the line up for the bridge started at Stong's. It took ~15min to get from there to the bridge deck. When I came back an hour later, the line up was just as long.

I was expecting the new alternating lights to be more of a "one car from Main Street then one car from Dollarton" sort of thing, not "a bunch of cars from Main St. and then a bunch of cars from Dollarton".  Maybe it just needs some fine tuning to get the right flow.

Last edited by: PaulB on Oct. 29, 2021, 9:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 30, 2021, 7:48 a.m.

Pre-demic, I would take my bike to work in the back of the car on days I drove instead of pedal.   

Paid off several times to ease bridge crossings home in a shitshow.  Stupid Car stayed over by the PNE for the night.  

#rideyourbike

Oct. 30, 2021, 7:52 a.m.

I also found this guy yesterday. Give his videos a few views and likes and share with your local government. .

https://youtu.be/F4kmDxcfR48

Last edited by: heckler on Oct. 30, 2021, 7:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 30, 2021, 8:04 a.m.

Posted by: PaulB

At least in an emergency pedestrians could still get around.

My neighbour ended up just parking his car on Keith Road and walking home to Raven Woods rather than sit there for an hour, or more. Went back the next morning to get it.

Have noticed it getting busier turning from ellis onto dollarton in the mornings and that whole stretch of dollarton to the bridge.

Certainly seems people from blue ridge and deep cove are avoiding the Keith overpass and cutting down to dollarton. Definitely hope that does not become a trend. Dollarton westbound will become the new main street eastbound. That area is not designed for high traffic volumes, at all.

Turning left onto Dollarton from Ellis at any time of day is becoming a major PITA.

I went out at noon to run some errands and the line up for the bridge started at Stong's. It took ~15min to get from there to the bridge deck. When I came back an hour later, the line up was just as long.

I was expecting the new alternating lights to be more of a "one car from Main Street then one car from Dollarton" sort of thing, not "a bunch of cars from Main St. and then a bunch of cars from Dollarton".  Maybe it just needs some fine tuning to get the right flow.

Yesterday was no different. I came by on my gravel bike around 1pm and the lineup went at least to Old Dollarton and on my return trip at 3pm it was even worse. I wonder if a 1:1 ratio (cars from Main : cars from Dollarton) is the answer. Sure isn't working the way it is.

Oct. 30, 2021, 8:55 a.m.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/north-van-the-new-port-mann-north-shore-bridges-at-tipping-point

Oct. 30, 2021, 8:55 a.m.

‘>’ 1:1 person:vehicle is the only solution.

Last edited by: heckler on Oct. 30, 2021, 8:57 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 30, 2021, 8:58 a.m.

Getting more than one person per vehicle is the only solution.

Oct. 30, 2021, 9:36 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: xy9ine

if nothing else, it's been (kinda) fascinating watching the changes in traffic flow as new systems are implemented. make an improvement here, a new bottleneck appears there. curious how sophisticated their traffic modelling systems are, or if it's just a game of whack a mole.

I cant comment on “their”, with “they” being specifically this project, but its a fascinating science for sure.

This one would help the world if everybody understood it.

The new merge lights for main/dollarton seems perfectly engineered to encourage the exact opposite of this.

I lived in Minneapolis for a while and commuted there and they had these killer merge light setups there that alternated the two merging on ramps so traffic actually kept moving on each ramp. They were also just green for both ramps during off-rush hour times so you didn't have to sit there like a dumbass staring at a red lighting while basically no traffic is coming off the other ramp. For these new lights, it's like they basically just dumped some generic programming for a standard intersection traffic light into those lights with no particular thought. That's what 200 millio n bucks gets you I guess. Pretty fucking sad.

Last edited by: Kenny on Oct. 30, 2021, 9:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 31, 2021, 10:18 a.m.

The alternating light system they put in works juts fine. It's the heavy trucks that are messing it up. They have to come to a complete stop and then get going on an uphill. When only one dump truck with a trailer goes thru on a green then you have a backup happening. Multiply this by number of heavy trucks and a shit show is effect. There is no solution, just will be harder to find people actually wanting to travel to the north shore for work.

Oct. 31, 2021, 11:36 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

The alternating light system they put in works juts fine. It's the heavy trucks that are messing it up. They have to come to a complete stop and then get going on an uphill. When only one dump truck with a trailer goes thru on a green then you have a backup happening. Multiply this by number of heavy trucks and a shit show is effect. There is no solution, just will be harder to find people actually wanting to travel to the north shore for work.

The "Minneapolis " approach I mentioned fixes exactly the issue you're describing, actually.

Oct. 31, 2021, 12:18 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

The "Minneapolis " approach I mentioned fixes exactly the issue you're describing, actually.

You are probably right. When it's one lane on the lions gate going south everyone merges into one lane and it's moving.