Traffic on the North Shore ...... WTF ?

Oct. 12, 2021, 8:28 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

If this is still correct, surely the solution is to provide better east-west connectors across the Shore...

I used to live on the Shore and still travel there regularly for work and fun and agree that E-W or W-E travel is pretty much always the shits from morning till dinner time. There's really only two routes to cross the highway in that direction and they have a lot of cross streets with traffic lights so shit always gets clogged up. Unfortunately there are no options for putting in a new arterial route that efficiently moves traffic E-W with minimal lights due to existing neighbourhoods, retail, parks, topography.

Greater Van's  issue is that it was laid out with no long term thought to transit, so putting it in after everything else has been built out is a huge expense.

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 12, 2021, 8:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 12, 2021, 8:33 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: [email protected]

I find it's mostly avoidable if you design your life so that you don't have to depend on a car and if you do want to drive, can avoid when & where everyone else is going.

Uh yah ... that's just the easiest thing to do, because nobody has circumstances that make such changes virtually impossible.

Who said it's the easiest thing ? It's hard to disagree with the point that building your life around not being car-dependent avoids traffic stress and is an admirable goal. Nobody said this is easy, or even attainable by many.

Oct. 13, 2021, 9:06 a.m.

Living in the area the new interchange is a game changer.

Driving over to Seymour for shuttle laps in the summer on a weekend and finishing up in the late aft was pretty much a guaranteed stuck in traffic event. Due to all the people leaving the Shore and coming back from the ferries/ Whistler/ Squamish. The Ferries dump X amount of vehicles on the highway at once every 45 mins so those waves of vehicles really do a number on the Ironworkers. Now that the Dollarton death ramp and Main St on ramp are being merged into one hopefully it will flow much better. Plus the bypass to Mtn hwy at Lilloet has made a huge difference.

Last edited by: bux-bux on Oct. 13, 2021, 9:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 13, 2021, 11:31 a.m.

The system they are implementing to handle the Dollarton-westward-to-south-on-the-bridge merge lane is going to be a huge improvement. Currently there are so many merges in such a short distance.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation-projects/highway-1-lower-lynn-improvements/highway-1-main-street-dollarton-highway-interchange

Oct. 13, 2021, 12:38 p.m.

Merge from Dollarton onto the bridge southbound is so dangerous, I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. That super short merge zone and poor angle fails all current highway design codes.

Oct. 13, 2021, 1:04 p.m.

Merge from Dollarton onto the bridge southbound is so dangerous, I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. That super short merge zone and poor angle fails all current highway design codes.

I commute over the bridge south every morning and there is so many near misses.

Oct. 13, 2021, 1:06 p.m.

Ha. Try doing it with a fully loaded transit bus.

Oct. 14, 2021, 11:18 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

That you at 7:30 this morning? Merged on like a rockstar. Was a mess this morning due to the new light system was flashing red so that freaked people out. Will take bit to train everybody the red lights don't apply to the thru traffic. Hope they put blinders on the lights to lessen the confusion.

Oct. 15, 2021, 9:31 a.m.

Who chose those purple LED lamps for the street lighting in that section on Keith Road? it's not too hard to figure out colour temperatures.

Oct. 15, 2021, 10:17 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

Who chose those purple LED lamps for the street lighting in that section on Keith Road?

Barney

Oct. 15, 2021, 10:37 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

That you at 7:30 this morning? Merged on like a rockstar. Was a mess this morning due to the new light system was flashing red so that freaked people out. Will take bit to train everybody the red lights don't apply to the thru traffic. Hope they put blinders on the lights to lessen the confusion.

So what is supposed to happen here? The diagram looks like the lights alternate.

Oct. 15, 2021, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: bux-bux

So what is supposed to happen here? The diagram looks like the lights alternate.

They do but the red lights for the new alternating on ramp look like they are in the middle of the bridge deck from a distance as you approach them. I think it's scaring the shit out of people thinking they have to stop on the bridge or something. Super bad light position , they will for sure be fixing that.

Oct. 16, 2021, 9:42 p.m.

I'm surprised this hasn't been a topic here until now.

Ultimately both the City and District of NV have failed at their jobs in planning the area. The writing was on the wall since the 2010 Olympics and neither government did much to deal with the population increase and increase in bridge traffic except add unsafe cement dividers and turn traffic flow into a parking lot on any roadway that can actually carry people through. I lived in the same house for over 20yrs just off Keith Rd and witnessed their attempts to "deal" with traffic and it's been a joke and they've actually made it worse. There was absolutely nothing done within the city or district until 2015 aside from those speed bumps and dangerously placed concrete dividers, and by then they had already reached capacity. The interchange has 3 governments involved and it's taking an unreasonable amount of time to complete the project. The entire Sea to Sky Hwy was rebuilt in a fraction of the time for the Olympics but somehow this project can drag on. It's absurd and those who just accept it are as much a problem as those "driving solo" over bridges(as someone here referred to). 

I turn left on Main at Mtn Hwy daily to get on the bridge and it amazes me still how people just don't get it and can't follow lanes or how the city refuses to make it more clear which lane goes where. It's changed and people haven't adapted which makes it worse. Police refuse to enforce and people get pretty brazen especially behind the wheel. 

North Van was awesome as a sleepy l'il town, when the Dollarton was a dirt road. Thanks for the rant.....

Oct. 19, 2021, 9 a.m.

The new lights for the Dollarton on ramp are up and running.  Sure made a difference this am. Got on at Lonsdale without the usual crawl down to the bridge.

Oct. 19, 2021, 11:34 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

The new lights for the Dollarton on ramp are up and running.  Sure made a difference this am. Got on at Lonsdale without the usual crawl down to the bridge.

It has, however, slowed down the folks coming onto hwy from Dollarton compared to recent weeks. I'm hoping that improves as people get things figured out better.  Today was first day with the new system in service.