Traffic on the North Shore ...... WTF ?

Oct. 8, 2021, 1:21 p.m.

Discuss.......

(Breakout from  Seymour Trail Use Survey traffic derailment and Lower Lynn highway project)

Oct. 8, 2021, 2:05 p.m.

I didn't grow up on this side of the country so I am only familiar with the recent past here. My question is - was traffic always terrible on the North Shore or is this just a more recent thing? I'd love to move to the North Shore but the traffic situation is what scares me as we'd need to commute to and from Vancouver daily. 

Hoping that Ironworkers highway project improves the overall situation but I am a bit pessimistic about it. Curious to hear the perspectives of those who know more about this than I do.

Oct. 8, 2021, 3:28 p.m.

What traffic?

Never venture east of Lonsdale after 2pm and life is fine.

Oct. 8, 2021, 3:31 p.m.

I should correct that.

Never travel east of Lonsdale before 10am or after 2pm and life is fine.

Oct. 8, 2021, 5:25 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I'd love to move to the North Shore but the traffic situation is what scares me as we'd need to commute to and from Vancouver daily. 

You become the problem if you drive solo.  That’s the part people just don't get.

Oct. 8, 2021, 5:40 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I'd love to move to the North Shore but the traffic situation is what scares me as we'd need to commute to and from Vancouver daily. 

You become the problem if you drive solo.  That’s the part people just don't get.

I wonder if instead of spending money on the interchange if it was used to build a skytrain line to the shore if that would have a better effect on reducing NS traffic.

Oct. 8, 2021, 5:49 p.m.

The lower Lynn interchanges really needed upgrades.  I think it’ll really help, especially since they added great bike lanes for me.

Oct. 8, 2021, 5:50 p.m.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation-projects/highway-1-lower-lynn-improvements

Oct. 8, 2021, 6:06 p.m.

https://www.nsnews.com/living/move-on-heres-a-look-at-how-north-vancouvers-highway-1-project-helps-cyclists-and-pedestrians-4491495

This might help.... eventually

Oct. 8, 2021, 6:10 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I wonder if instead of spending money on the interchange if it was used to build a skytrain line to the shore if that would have a better effect on reducing NS traffic.

I'm not sure $200 million would even cover the cost of buying out the homeowners whose land/homes would be demolished for such a project...

( $200 million is from the NS News article about the cost of the highway improvements but I've no idea whether it's correct...)

Oct. 8, 2021, 7:11 p.m.

I'm also upset that people want to live where I live and go to the places where I want to go when I want to go there.

On a separate note, have any of you heard of this man-made-climate-change thing?

Oct. 9, 2021, 12:10 a.m.

Anyone know if there is data on NS traffic? Would be interesting to see the numbers now compared to 5-10-15-20 etc. years ago. Definitely feels way worse than 10 years ago to me. If wife and I both could work full time from home, or at least 50%, would consider moving, guess we won't become part of the problem :).

Oct. 9, 2021, 6:51 a.m.

Google knows all   

https://www.th.gov.bc.ca/trafficdata/

Last edited by: heckler on Oct. 9, 2021, 6:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 9, 2021, 9:08 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

https://www.nsnews.com/living/move-on-heres-a-look-at-how-north-vancouvers-highway-1-project-helps-cyclists-and-pedestrians-4491495

This might help.... eventually

That's what we're talking about, or at least this was where the discussion started in the other thread.

As a resident of the "east" side of North van (ie the blueridge/deep cove area) this project has never really made much sense but maybe I'm not the intended user. 

At one point it was looking like there'd be a dedicated north/south connection from Seymour parkway to Lynn valley. That would have been awesome. 

As it is it's just a really expensive and convoluted feeder route to the bridge. 

Until the second narrows is replaced, traffic in the area will be shit, especially eastbound in the afternoon.  

Earleb has it right. We just avoid getting caught on the west side of town on weekday afternoons if at all possible and otherwise it's fine enough. I love living where we live so it's a small price to pay. 

But any improvement project that doesn't involve the bridge is a waste of time for the most part. They put an EXT storia on a bike with 90mm of travel. Yeah, money well spent.

Oct. 9, 2021, 12:48 p.m.

The work isn't finished yet so I don't think we can make a fair comment on it's effectiveness.

That south bound merge lane from Dollarton is a nightmare and all it take is a few bodged merges to back up traffic. Once the two south bound merges to 2n Narrows are completed it hopefully helps.