Traffic on the North Shore ...... WTF ?

Nov. 1, 2021, 10:19 a.m.

As if cities all over the country haven't been faced by the realities of densification. Who could possibly have predicted that adding 5000 people to a neighbourhood would have consequences for roads, electricity, sewage, transit, etc?? They saw the economic potential and ignored discussion of potential impacts. I'm sure anyone who brought up these considerations in council was brow beaten and labelled a buzzkill.

What did they think was going to happen when all those towers are complete all over the North Shore? I had always planned to move to the North Shore and it's pretty clear that's a bad idea.

Nov. 1, 2021, 10:51 a.m.

only worth living on the NS if you work on the NS....  put a toll on the bridge (and all bridges) and you'll see traffic decrease but people would rather sit in traffic for an hour than pay $2.

Nov. 1, 2021, 11:03 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

only worth living on the NS if you work on the NS.... 

With the ironic part being that most jobs that pay enough to afford to live on the North Shore likely aren't located on the North Shore.

Nov. 1, 2021, 11:10 a.m.

IMO, "they" missed a huge opportunity to clean up the Cut to Second Narrows bridge section of the highway.

The Fern St bridge should have just been made into a mega-interchange and the Dollarton/Main St/MTN Highway (East) on ramps closed off (I'm assuming off ramps don't create chaos, but if so close them in peak hours), with all the west side traffic routed up Mountain Highway @ U-Haul to the Highway and the east-side traffic routes up Riverside to Seymour Parkway.

The main problem on the North Shore is that there are too many junctions, too close together...

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on Nov. 1, 2021, 12:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 1, 2021, 11:33 a.m.

I would also add work downtown (seabus or bike commute) and work from home as viable options.

Nov. 1, 2021, 11:40 a.m.

only worth living on the NS if you work on the NS.

Live on the Shore, work on the Shore, play on the Shore and own an e-bike cargo bike and all is irie.

Nov. 1, 2021, 12:27 p.m.

Live on shore - own ebike with range to get to office, works great, never stuck in traffic, just have to be really careful when traffic bad and drivers agro.

Nov. 1, 2021, 1:23 p.m.

ebikes are great for commuting...  most people won't do it unfortunately.  Maybe have an incentive like Saanich is doing for ebikes.

Nov. 1, 2021, 10:14 p.m.

https://www.dnv.org/streets-transportation/e-bike-share-pilot-program

Li.me is doing a great job with product placement, close to bus stops, breweries and shitty traffic zones. Is anybody buyin what they’re sellin?

I really prefer the station based rentals of Vangroovy.  Having seen Lime scooters littering the streets of Oslo, I’m stoked for anything that gets people out of cars but nervous of proliferation of bikes and scooters siting on every curb and bush.

Last edited by: heckler on Nov. 1, 2021, 10:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 2, 2021, 7:52 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Li.me is doing a great job with product placement, close to bus stops, breweries and shitty traffic zones. Is anybody buyin what they’re sellin?

I really prefer the station based rentals of Vangroovy.  Having seen Lime scooters littering the streets of Oslo, I’m stoked for anything that gets people out of cars but nervous of proliferation of bikes and scooters siting on every curb and bush.

I'm all for new solutions to help people get out of cars but wow I've seen some really sketchy behaviour on those scooters. People who choose to commute by bike are by definition conscientious; they've committed to an idea, bought the bike, etc. The bar to entry on those scooters is much much lower.

Nov. 2, 2021, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

I tried out the Lime e-bikes when they were introduced here. The bikes are ok, not great but they get the job done.

The motor assist gets disabled if you push over a certain speed limit which is all the time if you are a fairly strong rider. It also get disabled if you enter a no-go zone like Waterfront Park but it's poorly defined so it even disables when you ride the cycling path that cuts through the park along the train track.

If they had a flat fee monthly plan I might have taken it but as it is you always pay per minute and it adds up fast. Not worth it for me.

Nov. 2, 2021, 10:12 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I would also add work downtown (seabus or bike commute) and work from home as viable options.

Seabus is useless unless you live on Londsale. 

It is rare that both bridges are f'd so getting across the water is generally not the issue. Moving east/west in NV is the problem and other than taking some cars off the road the seabus does not get you around the shit.

Nov. 2, 2021, 10:51 a.m.

Traffic coming off the shore on the ironworkers was flowing great this morning. Seems everyone's adjusting to the new system. Probably in the aft it's still a shit show.

Nov. 2, 2021, 2:18 p.m.

Made the mistake of planning a mid-day ride at Seymour on the weekend.  Man, the traffic over/around the Ironworkers is so much worse after 11am on a Saturday, or at least it was this past weekend.  I think I'll be sticking with morning rides from now on.  The difference between meeting at the trailhead for 8am and meeting at 12:30pm was like +30% to +50% commute time.

Nov. 2, 2021, 5:05 p.m.

I'm lucky to get a midweek "lunch" ride or two in a week, since construction/that light was put in I'm finding round trips from Mount Pleasant have gotten a bit faster. 22-23min to Old Buck lot each way, was frequently 30+ even mid-day before the improvements.