Trackstands

June 16, 2005, 5:18 p.m.

i dont really know how long i can trackstand, but long enough that if I find my balence off while in the middle of s skinny, im able to grap the brakes, sit for af ew seconds, regain my balence, and go again perfectly. I think ill have to try a regular trackstand now to see how long i can go. The untimate trackstand test is the swivel teater on air supply!

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

June 16, 2005, 7:32 p.m.

I can't. Period. Maybe for a few seconds. I have no slow speed balance. But I'm not worried about it, I just avoid it.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

June 16, 2005, 7:35 p.m.

Pretty much as long as I want, very important skill to learn IMO.

June 16, 2005, 7:58 p.m.

red ron used to do no handed, 1 foot on the frnt tire track stands, on his toad back in '90 .. I thought that was pretty good..

I am usuallly good for the light.

30-40 min track stand!! for real? thats pretty good.

June 16, 2005, 8:01 p.m.

cant at all really.

June 16, 2005, 8:16 p.m.

For as long as it needs to be…like someone else said, it's a very important thing to master both for street and mountain riding. It's pretty easy once you get what it is that you're using to stay up (as in find the center of gravity of the bike and you together, and stay on it by rocking slightly to keep the feel of where it is).

June 16, 2005, 9:02 p.m.

I can't trackstand forever on concrete, but somehow, I can do it forever on grass.

The trick is to keep your eyes focused at one point.

out of curiosity, why is it so important?

June 16, 2005, 9:58 p.m.

I can't. Period. Maybe for a few seconds. I have no slow speed balance. But I'm not worried about it, I just avoid it.

Good. Track standing for more than 5, maybe 10 seconds means little when you're out riding your bike from point A to B. Your skills won't suffer.

June 16, 2005, 10:03 p.m.

I donno about that, I think being able to trackstand shows how comfortable you are on your bike while balancing. Jerky movements or over corrections are a lot more apparent. Plus it's my only trick.

So many freaks, so few circuses.

June 16, 2005, 10:19 p.m.

i love trackstands. i dont get stoned often, but staring at your front wheel and concentrating of the flow - trackstanding began to feel like being stoned after a while.

P.S i also ride fixed, thats good for trackstand flow, no brakes

NSMBA member

June 16, 2005, 11:43 p.m.

Originally posted by King-of-e-ville
Whats the difference?

plus, if you turn your front tire slightly uphill (ie on crown of road at a light) its super easy.

Rolling trackstand = both wheels free to move

Trials trackstand = both wheels locked - think of a trackstand on a 2 inch wide skinny - using only your body position to keep your balance.

June 17, 2005, 7:11 a.m.

Doing it without moving at all for about a minute, but if I hop around a bit, I can do it for awhile.

June 17, 2005, 7:31 a.m.

Rolling trackstand = both wheels free to move

Trials trackstand = both wheels locked - think of a trackstand on a 2 inch wide skinny - using only your body position to keep your balance.

Trials trackstand is the "real" trackstand?
Where did the term come from? I dont think it was from trials.

June 17, 2005, 8:01 a.m.

I can't trackstand forever on concrete, but somehow, I can do it forever on grass.

The trick is to keep your eyes focused at one point.

out of curiosity, why is it so important?

For me, the mastery of balance it represents saved my ass many times while messengering. On the trail, it's handy if you come to a sharp stop in a tight spot (with a big drop-off on one side, for instance) or on the skinnies.

As far as the eyes thing, keep practicing: you'll get to where you can look around, talk, drink coffee with one hand, whatever. I've had people try to push me off a trackstand and fail, and one moron who was trying to start a fight by running into me from behind just fell over himself when his pedal hung up on my chainstay…

June 17, 2005, 8:35 a.m.

thanks for the clarification on the difference in terms. I do the rolling track stand.

I think the name comes from bike racing in the velodrome. on the banked wood track. if you've ever watched it, when the guys are racing 1 on 1, they will play around with each-other, both not wanting to take the lead and draft for the other guy, so they will sometimes end up in track stand competions, trying to out wait the other guy and forcing him to take the lead. so the term is for standing still on the race track or "track-standing"

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"