To the Jabroni with a speaker on his bike on Seymour today...

Sept. 20, 2022, 11:09 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

When I ride solo in the woods, a speaker is a great way to ward off the animals. I wouldn't bother with it on a place like fromme but when I'm on a desolate trail on my own, I enjoy bringing some music. Headphones are a pain, and also increase your risk of an animal encounter, that is actually how a runner died in Canmore a few years back. People who bring a speaker on a group ride are idiots, unless everyone is an idiot in your group, then it's a party? Somewhere like whistler or fromme where you are running into people constantly and and where everyone is on the same climb trail is just ignorant. If I run into someone for 20 seconds and they hear Neal diamond for a few bars, I don't think it's a big deal. A train of mtb bros with poor etiquette would ruin my ride far more than a solo rider playing niel young or massive attack.

I do try to have all genres on my riding Playlist so that everyone is represented. I also skip the gangsta rap with lots of swearing when I'm riding near someone else. But if one of the Neil's is playing I turn it up - just kidding, my speaker is always at max. In case someonee is getting enraged right now, I'm kidding of course.

The other thing I find a speaker good for is dog walkers up on my gravel bike around ubc. Those guys always seem to jump when you call out to let them know you are coming. It seems David bowie is less alarming for them. Black sabath was a bit too much though. The heavy guitars seemed to make some of the dog walkers uneasy. Good thing I didn't have DMX swearing f$&%ing n÷#ger this and that!

Some hikers on Vancouver Island scared off a stalking cougar by playing Metallica on their phone. So there are actually reasons to choose aggressive music.

Sept. 20, 2022, 11:19 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

When I ride solo in the woods, a speaker is a great way to ward off the animals. I wouldn't bother with it on a place like fromme but when I'm on a desolate trail on my own, I enjoy bringing some music. Headphones are a pain, and also increase your risk of an animal encounter, that is actually how a runner died in Canmore a few years back. People who bring a speaker on a group ride are idiots, unless everyone is an idiot in your group, then it's a party? Somewhere like whistler or fromme where you are running into people constantly and and where everyone is on the same climb trail is just ignorant. If I run into someone for 20 seconds and they hear Neal diamond for a few bars, I don't think it's a big deal. A train of mtb bros with poor etiquette would ruin my ride far more than a solo rider playing niel young or massive attack.

I do try to have all genres on my riding Playlist so that everyone is represented. I also skip the gangsta rap with lots of swearing when I'm riding near someone else. But if one of the Neil's is playing I turn it up - just kidding, my speaker is always at max. In case someonee is getting enraged right now, I'm kidding of course.

The other thing I find a speaker good for is dog walkers up on my gravel bike around ubc. Those guys always seem to jump when you call out to let them know you are coming. It seems David bowie is less alarming for them. Black sabath was a bit too much though. The heavy guitars seemed to make some of the dog walkers uneasy. Good thing I didn't have DMX swearing f$&%ing n÷#ger this and that!

Some hikers on Vancouver Island scared off a stalking cougar by playing Metallica on their phone. So there are actually reasons to choose aggressive music.

I'm pretty sure bears are attracted to niel diamond. I may have to remove him from my Playlist and replace it with one by Metallica

Sept. 20, 2022, 3:19 p.m.

unless everyone is an idiot in your group, then it's a party? 

lol -yes.

Sept. 20, 2022, 7:03 p.m.

Hell yeah!  (Sorry, not sorry)

Sept. 21, 2022, 8:36 a.m.

**Posted by: RAHrider

**The other thing I find a speaker good for is dog walkers up on my gravel bike around ubc. Those guys always seem to jump when you call out to let them know you are coming.

Wow! How dare you disturb the patrons of Pacific Spirit Off-Leash Dog Park! Can't you just ride those bicycles on the road instead?!

Sept. 21, 2022, 5:04 p.m.

Posted by: silverbansheebike

**Posted by: RAHrider

**The other thing I find a speaker good for is dog walkers up on my gravel bike around ubc. Those guys always seem to jump when you call out to let them know you are coming.

Wow! How dare you disturb the patrons of Pacific Spirit Off-Leash Dog Park! Can't you just ride those bicycles on the road instead?!

I'm not sure this is serious or sarcastic. If serious, my response is - its not a dog park. It's a human park where dogs are allowed, and allowed to be off leash. All off leash parks allow dogs off leash as long as their owners can control them, something a minority of dog owners can do...."Casey get off that man, Casey stop growling, Casey stop biting him, Casey! Casey!" 

Heaven forbid, I should "disturb" them. For the record, that last part was sarcastic. While I'm on it, why do dog owners think their dogs have rights? They don't. They are not people. They do not have more right to pacific spirit park than humans. And dog owners don't have more right to pacific spirit than other users. 

Just thought I'd clarify that.

Sept. 22, 2022, 3:17 a.m.

Dog owners are almost as bad was parents.

Sept. 22, 2022, 12:07 p.m.

I'm not sure this is serious or sarcastic. If serious, my response is - its not a dog park. It's a human park where dogs are allowed, and allowed to be off leash. All off leash parks allow dogs off leash as long as their owners can control them, something a minority of dog owners can do...."Casey get off that man, Casey stop growling, Casey stop biting him, Casey! Casey!" 

Heaven forbid, I should "disturb" them. For the record, that last part was sarcastic. While I'm on it, why do dog owners think their dogs have rights? They don't. They are not people. They do not have more right to pacific spirit park than humans. And dog owners don't have more right to pacific spirit than other users. 

Haha, don't worry, it's sarcastic.

Sept. 22, 2022, 7:48 p.m.

Posted by: silverbansheebike

Haha, don't worry, it's sarcastic.

Phew.

Sept. 23, 2022, 12:28 a.m.

"Casey get off that man, Casey stop growling, Casey stop biting him, Casey! Casey!" 

Are you sure the dog's name wasn't Finnegan? Casey was a weird kid with bad hair, but I don't think he ever bit anyone.

Oct. 29, 2022, 1:37 p.m.

If only there was an invention that allowed one to listen to music in a personal way that did not have to be broadcast across the mountain and would have hi-fidelity stereo beyond what a tinny/trebley blue tooth speaker dangling from a saddle of handlebar could give...and if only it could be really inexpensive...if only there was such a thing.

Oct. 29, 2022, 1:45 p.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

If only there was an invention that allowed one to listen to music in a personal way that did not have to be broadcast across the mountain and would have hi-fidelity stereo beyond what a tinny/trebley blue tooth speaker dangling from a saddle of handlebar could give...and if only it could be really inexpensive...if only there was such a thing.

If we can put a man on the moon then one day, maybe, this too will be possible.

Oct. 30, 2022, 11:12 a.m.

So, I get why people don’t like speakers on the principal of the thing, used to bug me too. 

But when I’ve come across people riding with speakers I can only hear it when they’re very close, it’s basically as loud as a conversation, and since they’re riding, I’m only exposed to the music for 15-20 seconds.  Which means the irritation wasn’t actually significant, I was just letting it bother me because it was different with MY idea of how to have fun in the woods.

So I got over it. Now I sometimes ride with a speaker. I’ve talked to people about it and almost universally their response is “oh I barely heard it until you were right next to us”.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Oct. 31, 2022, 10:09 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

So, I get why people don’t like speakers on the principal of the thing, used to bug me too. 

But when I’ve come across people riding with speakers I can only hear it when they’re very close, it’s basically as loud as a conversation, and since they’re riding, I’m only exposed to the music for 15-20 seconds.  Which means the irritation wasn’t actually significant, I was just letting it bother me because it was different with MY idea of how to have fun in the woods.

So I got over it. Now I sometimes ride with a speaker. I’ve talked to people about it and almost universally their response is “oh I barely heard it until you were right next to us”.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Totally. I don't ride with a speaker, but a buddy of mine sometimes brings one out on "party rides" when we're hooning around in a big  group. Speaker quality is so good these days that a good deep sound only exists within a 20m radius.

Oct. 31, 2022, 11:32 a.m.

When I get cranky about things other people do I try and remember that you can’t control what other people do, but you have full control of how you feel about it. Saves me a lot of stress and anger.