To the Jabroni with a speaker on his bike on Seymour today...

Sept. 18, 2022, 8:47 p.m.

Please, no. None of the rest of us want to hear your music when we are out in the woods.

Last edited by: ceebee on Sept. 18, 2022, 8:48 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 18, 2022, 9:09 p.m.

I can't believe someone would do that. I second your plea. It's not one of the reasons any of us go out into the woods to ride.

Sept. 18, 2022, 9:43 p.m.

🤦‍♂️

Sept. 18, 2022, 11:16 p.m.

That's not uncommon.  Recently saw a guy up by Seymour Dam with a ghetto blaster on his shoulder while riding his ebike.  Nothing like thumping techno whole watching the wildlife.

Sept. 19, 2022, 9:50 a.m.

As long as people aren't being disrespectful in other ways, I don't have much of an issue if someone is playing their music. I think it's probably a 20 second encounter, on average? It's not ideal to hear it, but not much different than coming across an overly enthusiastic conversation. I can get past that.

Sept. 19, 2022, 10:04 a.m.

You are all too nice, *uck that guy.

Sept. 19, 2022, 11:42 a.m.

I ran into some similarly equip e-bikers on Fromme yesterday. 

To be honest, I didn't mind the music... but didn't appreciate the bear bell binging to pass, or the request to pull over on a steep uphill, or the dusty roost as they passed

Sept. 19, 2022, 12:59 p.m.

Posted by: icullis

I ran into some similarly equip e-bikers on Fromme yesterday. 

To be honest, I didn't mind the music... but didn't appreciate the bear bell binging to pass, or the request to pull over on a steep uphill, or the dusty roost as they passed

Fromme is ebike hell these days.

Sept. 19, 2022, 2:41 p.m.

Yeah it’s usually a short annoying blast of music. But that time we rode up Into The Mystic to Lord of the Squirrels and buddy played music the whole way. When I say music, I don’t count Neil Diamond as music I would ever listen to by choice. Someone invited him, I didn’t know him well so I didn’t say anything.

Sept. 19, 2022, 6:57 p.m.

How long until a Bluetooth speaker is factory integrated into an ebike?

Sept. 19, 2022, 8:04 p.m.

Spent to 2 days at Whistler Bike Park last week and ran into TWO people doing this.  They either had Bluetooth speakers in their water bottle cage or on their person. Blasting music for all to hear...

Like others have said it's a brief encounter and not much to get worked up over but with the plethora of wireless ear buds available these surely there are better options? Or options that are better for everybody else around you.

Sept. 19, 2022, 9:54 p.m.

Applaud the Jabroni usage.

Sept. 19, 2022, 10:35 p.m.

When I ride solo in the woods, a speaker is a great way to ward off the animals. I wouldn't bother with it on a place like fromme but when I'm on a desolate trail on my own, I enjoy bringing some music. Headphones are a pain, and also increase your risk of an animal encounter, that is actually how a runner died in Canmore a few years back. People who bring a speaker on a group ride are idiots, unless everyone is an idiot in your group, then it's a party? Somewhere like whistler or fromme where you are running into people constantly and and where everyone is on the same climb trail is just ignorant. If I run into someone for 20 seconds and they hear Neal diamond for a few bars, I don't think it's a big deal. A train of mtb bros with poor etiquette would ruin my ride far more than a solo rider playing niel young or massive attack.

I do try to have all genres on my riding Playlist so that everyone is represented. I also skip the gangsta rap with lots of swearing when I'm riding near someone else. But if one of the Neil's is playing I turn it up - just kidding, my speaker is always at max. In case someonee is getting enraged right now, I'm kidding of course.

The other thing I find a speaker good for is dog walkers up on my gravel bike around ubc. Those guys always seem to jump when you call out to let them know you are coming. It seems David bowie is less alarming for them. Black sabath was a bit too much though. The heavy guitars seemed to make some of the dog walkers uneasy. Good thing I didn't have DMX swearing f$&%ing n÷#ger this and that!

Last edited by: RAHrider on Sept. 19, 2022, 10:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 19, 2022, 10:48 p.m.

thankfully the swiss are way too polite to pull off stuff like this

Sept. 20, 2022, 4:57 a.m.

A lot of groms are carrying bluetooth speakers when riding park where I live - I think...let them have their 5 minute of fun, life is going to turn really serious in a moment'S notice anyways ... when I was their age decades ago I carried a stereo with proper rap and annoyed the grown ups myself.