To the ass-hat on Bridle today at 5pm...rant-warning

May 3, 2021, 5:29 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Posted by: switch

It's unfortunate that too many riders feel they own the trails/mountain, whether it be how they deal with other users or how they illegally ride on hiking-only trails.

Prime example.... the dudes pushing up Upper Old Buck Sunday morning, past "No Biking" signs and in view of hikers. I get that people ride in the area, but if you're gonna do it, pick a less obvious day/time.

Indian River is closed to non-local traffic yet there are a lot of vehicles with bikes on the rack driving it.  And there are a lot of MTBers riding back on it.

May 3, 2021, 6:14 p.m.

A symptom of a crowded place perhaps. More people doing stuff in the woods some of whom are assholes. I’ve run across assholes who ride, walk, ski, have dogs, don’t have dogs etc.  Riders who are too soft to ride up the hard part of a certain trail and cut in near the top. Being on an ebike without a helmet is not relevant really but it kind points to why I think ebikes ought not be allowed in places that are already crowded. Low hanging fruit to be sure like dogs being banned from overcrowded Joffrey Lakes.

May 3, 2021, 6:43 p.m.

I've found the problem with trying to "educate" people about trail usage/etiquette is that if they feel like there's even a hint of getting called out for their behaviour they will get defensive and tune out the message no matter how valuable the message or worse like this guy get aggressive. You also get people who are so wrapped up in their own little world that it all exists just for them - sorting that out trail side is never going to happen. It's tough to just let things go when we're passionate about the sport, but no matter what someone else says it's usually better to make the effort to not let someone else's bad behaviour negatively affect my time or space.

One other thing which is not the case here is sometimes you can come across people who are super focused and already too deep into their decision making process to change their course or direction. I've had it happen to me and I've also been guilty of it as well. Sometimes it's just the nature of the beast.

Last edited by: syncro on May 5, 2021, 8:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 3, 2021, 6:58 p.m.

Please don’t confuse an asshat in the woods without a helmet riding an ebike with a mountain biker.

May 3, 2021, 7:07 p.m.

I had a run in with a guy last winter while xc skiing with my dogs at Whistler Olympic Park on the off leash dog trails. He got all bent when my 11 year lab was walking along the middle of the trail I guess just as he came along. “For fuck sake”. he says. I swear back at him, you know if you want to ski where there are no dogs there are about another 70km of trail for that. He waited ahead for me but apologized profusely for being a dick. That was that. But I get being in a zone tuned into what you’re doing. But people don’t seem to get at times that they aren’t the only users out there. Last winter too, at WOP coming down glide connector at about 30 kph I get yelled at by some guy in a group of four snowshoers spread across the trail. Throw them sideways and yell WHAT? Apology from a female voice.  No snowshoers allowed there actually. It’s pretty common to be riding or skiing on a trail to come across some numpties spread across blocking the route because they forgot about other users. Most of us I think try to respect others but there has always been and always will be those that are selfish. 

It’s healthy though to come on bulletin boards like this and rant. Cathartic for all of us.

May 4, 2021, 7:19 a.m.

It's unfortunate that too many riders feel they own the trails/mountain, whether it be how they deal with other users or how they illegally ride on hiking-only trails.

Prime example.... the dudes pushing up Upper Old Buck Sunday morning, past "No Biking" signs and in view of hikers. I get that people ride in the area, but if you're gonna do it, pick a less obvious day/time.

Indian River is closed to non-local traffic yet there are a lot of vehicles with bikes on the rack driving it. And there are a lot of MTBers riding back on it.

I understand limiting traffic through to the neighborhoods at the end of the arm, but I don't really see the goal behind closing access to the lower Baden Powell area, and especially with all the hiking trails braided through that area.

Last edited by: mammal on May 4, 2021, 7:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2021, 8:45 a.m.

I haven't said much on here lately but after last nights and Sunday's experience mountainbiking has offically gone to the doucheside.

Went for a quick after work spin up Breamar around 730... Ebike dude is doing donuts and cutting the corners on the For the kids climb. Basically destroying the trail on his way up, hooting and hollering. I say something to him at the top, he rides by me looking straight ahead and then when gets safely  past me calls me a faggot and to fuck myself? I know you aren't on here but when I see you up there again I am going to kick your spokes in you fuck. Sunday on Krinkim ebike guy was shouting at my wife to get the fuck out of the way on the flat section before the ramps. 

This is where mountainbiking is now? Is it my job to have to govern these assholes? What happened?

May 5, 2021, 9:03 a.m.

Mtb culture has definitely shifted. I’ve been out building again fairly regularly over the past few weeks and while I’m not seeing a lot of traffic where I’m working the change in rider’s attitudes has been noticed. About 60% of people just ride by, maybe 30% say hi as they ride by and about 10% say thanks. Nobody has stopped to ask if I need any help. I should spend a day on one of the busy trails just to see what it’s really like.

May 5, 2021, 9:36 a.m.

To OP, sorry that happened. Hearing about this kind of stuff makes my blood boil. I just don't understand what is so pressing that people can't take the time to be courteous with those who they share the trails with? Personally, I try to say hello to everyone I come across and in most occasions will stop or slow when crossing paths with others, only keep going at normal speed if safe to do so. It just makes more sense to take time and enjoy the day, ride and make it safe for everyone vs. running people off the trail and be in a rush to get done.

May 5, 2021, 10:20 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I haven't said much on here lately but after last nights and Sunday's experience mountainbiking has offically gone to the doucheside.

Went for a quick after work spin up Breamar around 730... Ebike dude is doing donuts and cutting the corners on the For the kids climb. Basically destroying the trail on his way up, hooting and hollering. I say something to him at the top, he rides by me looking straight ahead and then when gets safely  past me calls me a faggot and to fuck myself? I know you aren't on here but when I see you up there again I am going to kick your spokes in you fuck. Sunday on Krinkim ebike guy was shouting at my wife to get the fuck out of the way on the flat section before the ramps. 

This is where mountainbiking is now? Is it my job to have to govern these assholes? What happened?

That's absolute tip-top horrible. Any notable descriptions of this guy, other than ebike?

May 5, 2021, 1:22 p.m.

Indian River is closed to non-local traffic yet there are a lot of vehicles with bikes on the rack driving it.  And there are a lot of MTBers riding back on it.

The Indian River road closure is complete BS...

May 5, 2021, 1:43 p.m.

Indian River is closed to non-local traffic yet there are a lot of vehicles with bikes on the rack driving it. And there are a lot of MTBers riding back on it.

you sound pretty nimby Switch.... what's wrong with riding on IRR?  Maybe the residents down there ride bikes?  Plus the people maintaining the trails need to park.  It's certainly not hikers doing the maintenance.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on May 5, 2021, 1:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 5, 2021, 3:57 p.m.

Because it's not for MTB.  Even the signs say so.

May 6, 2021, 7:15 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

This is where mountainbiking is now? 

Yes it is unfortunately.  Here in AZ, tons of new riders on the trails. Most seem okay, but I have run into plenty of d-bags cutting off/scaring hikers, blasting down the trail like it is their own racetrack and just being a-holes in general.  

The amount of cheater lines/braids I have had to block off is increasing.  I watched a younger guy jump over the branches/rocks that were blocking an off trail line.  When he rode past I told him that line was blocked off for a reason, he didn't care.  

It sucks, but here we are.  Fortunately, it seems like the hikers and other foot traffic have been pretty understanding, I have had more positive encounters lately.

May 6, 2021, 7:30 a.m.

Because it's not for MTB.  Even the signs say so.

What about all the hikers accessing the lower Baden Powell? It's not for them either?